Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Saved sinner

Worship without the amp. Cheap and great sounding

Hi guys, I need your help. I have quite a lot of experience recoding and live playing, but not in USA as much especially regarding worship. I might be helping out at my church with playing guitar so I need some help with ideas. I don't want to carry a full amp for various reasons I'd rather plug straight to the mix. Some of the ideas I came up with so far.

1. Crate Power Block (I used to own one, sounds very good. Has a line out, headphone out as well and I can set it for crunch and roll back volume for clean)
2. Line 6 Floor Pod (I had one borrowed and didn't like the sound that much, but it could work)
3. Plug my guitar to my iPhone and play through Garage Band? (I'm not sure how to make that work and how to switch between the sounds in middle of playing)

What would you recommend? No budget, so surely not more than $100 and I really only need a good clean sound and a good crunch.

Thanks.

Last edited by a.n.v.i.l.; 05-04-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
a.n.v.i.l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

The SansAmp stuff is awesome!!

I got a Para Driver v2 for $140 used on Reverb a while back, you might be able to find another one of their amp modeling pedals for $100.

I use mine all the time, no more amp and I love how it sounds.

I'll take a look later tonight too!

Last edited by Frank1234; 05-05-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #3
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I have a PB. They're nifty, but seems like you'd have to choose either clean or crunch with that set up.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
Person

A lot of amp emulators are pretty good these days, but how it sounds will depend on the quality of the monitors at the church.

I have a Joyo American Sound, which is cheap, and sounds great on direct recordings, and others have found it to sound great direct at their church. When I've tried it at my church, it sounded awful because our monitors are pretty terrible.

I think the people that find direct setups most satisfying are usually the people using in ear monitors.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
...more machine than man.

Zoom multistomp is probably the next value for 100 bucks. Build quality is good, sound quality is good, interface is intuitive. You could get the ms50 for 100 new, or the ms100(adds stereo and bluetooth) used for about the same. I've used it as a stand alone rig for a few shows, simply cuz I'm lazy and don't always want to haul around gear.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I have a PB. They're nifty, but seems like you'd have to choose either clean or crunch with that set up.
I'm sorry Steve. What's a PB?
Unread 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
Zoom multistomp is probably the next value for 100 bucks. Build quality is good, sound quality is good, interface is intuitive. You could get the ms50 for 100 new, or the ms100(adds stereo and bluetooth) used for about the same. I've used it as a stand alone rig for a few shows, simply cuz I'm lazy and don't always want to haul around gear.
I hope that multistomps evolved since I bought my Digitech RP50 that was pretty bad. I'll check it out.
Unread 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
The SansAmp stuff is awesome!!

I got a Para Driver v2 for $140 used on Reverb a while back, you might be able to find another one of their amp modeling pedals for $100.

I use mine all the time, no more amp and I love how it sounds.

I'll take a look later tonight too!
I didn't know about them I only knew they are building solid state amps. If I see one somewhere I'll sure try it out.
Unread 05-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
A lot of amp emulators are pretty good these days, but how it sounds will depend on the quality of the monitors at the church.

I have a Joyo American Sound, which is cheap, and sounds great on direct recordings, and others have found it to sound great direct at their church. When I've tried it at my church, it sounded awful because our monitors are pretty terrible.

I think the people that find direct setups most satisfying are usually the people using in ear monitors.
Couple people already told me about that box. I'm gonna research that thingy. Yeah I'm sure a lot depends on the monitors and the quality. I always see electric guitar on the same spot so we'll see when I climb on the stage. Btw. the sound from the mixer is amazing in the auditorium and online as well. I guess we have some gifted people serving.
Unread 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.n.v.i.l.
I'm sorry Steve. What's a PB?
Crate Power Block

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
...more machine than man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.n.v.i.l. View Post

I hope that multistomps evolved since I bought my Digitech RP50 that was pretty bad. I'll check it out.
Different brand, technology, and interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQ8kgQodbikFOQ

I'm not saying it's the best out there period, but I'm saying it's the best out there for the money. It has often been the only piece of gear between my Crowdster and the DI box.

Edit...for what's it's worth, I also own a line 6 hd500x, and feel the Vox and Fender amp models are more realistic on the Zoom.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
+1 for Joyo if you're on a tight budget. I had an AC Tone and it was brilliant.

Also +1 for Zoom stuff. The cheaper stuff isn't going to be insanely brilliant, but it will get you out of trouble and not sound half bad.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Crate Power Block
Thanks Steve I thought it might be but I wasn't sure. Yeah if I got that one I would turn it towards crunch and roll back volume for clean.
Unread 05-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
Different brand, technology, and interface.

Zoom MS-100BT MultiStomp Effects Pedal with Bluetooth | Sweetwater.com

I'm not saying it's the best out there period, but I'm saying it's the best out there for the money. It has often been the only piece of gear between my Crowdster and the DI box.

Edit...for what's it's worth, I also own a line 6 hd500x, and feel the Vox and Fender amp models are more realistic on the Zoom.
Thanks I'll look it up although I don't care about the Bluetooth connectivity and that probably ads on the price
Unread 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Saved sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
+1 for Joyo if you're on a tight budget. I had an AC Tone and it was brilliant.

Also +1 for Zoom stuff. The cheaper stuff isn't going to be insanely brilliant, but it will get you out of trouble and not sound half bad.
I was completely ignoring stomp boxes for quite sometime and now I see there's lot of stuff out there. I'll check the AC tone as well.