Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Paul and Lutheran Justification

In case anyone wanted to watch an interesting debate between Doug Moo and Doug Campbell, here is a debate that took place last year at Ted Logan's alma mater (Trinity Evangelical Divinity School).

Here.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chunkster View Post
In case anyone wanted to watch an interesting debate between Doug Moo and Doug Campbell, here is a debate that took place last year at Ted Logan's alma mater (Trinity Evangelical Divinity School).

Here.
Who are these guys and what positions do they represent?

When Augustus reigned alone on the earth, the many kingdoms of mankind came to an end;
and when you became man from the pure Virgin, the many gods of idolatry were destroyed;
the cities of the world passed under one single rule; and the nations came to believe in one single Godhead;
the peoples were enrolled by decree of Caesar; we the faithful were enrolled in the name of the Godhead, when you became man, O our God.
Great is your mercy, Lord; glory to you!

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Gone

Douglas Moo is a New Testament professor from Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. Among many other things, he wrote the Romans commentary in the New International Commentary on the New Testament series, which is widely considered one of the best scholarly commentaries on Romans in the last generation. He's also one of the chief architects behind the 2011 revision of the NIV.

Moo takes the position that the Lutheran approach is justified. He aligns with evangelical convictions.

Douglas Campbell is a New Testament professor at Duke Divinity School. He specializes in Pauline thought and has written a gigantic book on the subject of justification called The Deliverance of God. He takes the position that the Lutheran understanding of Justification completely misunderstands Paul. Here's a pretty good article that starts to put Campbell's objections in place, but unfortunately Joshua Jipp didn't follow up the article with the planned sequel.

Anyway, I haven't read any of Campbell's work, but it sounds like this is a really exciting area of Pauline investigation.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
is probably a Phantasm

Send a message via AIM to acrossthesirion
Campbell usually gets labelled "apocalyptic" and is following certain lines in Barth (so, reformed, confessional, but not really American evangelical) as well as trying to revive some pre-Reformation (e.g. Athanasius) theology around atonement and Pauline interpretation in a protestant context.
Unread 04-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
They said it better than I could.

Also, afaik, Campbell represents a sort of pushback against certain strains of the New Perspective(s) on Paul. Such that a recent book edited by Chris Tilling and comprising of several articles, seeks to sort of play with his Post NPP as elaborated in his giant commentary on Romans that came out a few years back.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote