Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Good article

Why We Worship on Repeat | Desiring God
Pretty much says what I feel about repetition in worship. Sometimes I have to read a verse over and over to get it. Singing something can often do the same thing.

jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
Lo, He comes...

paid
This right here is one of the reasons I'm an Orthodox Christian We repeat things a lot. Whether it's the words 'Lord have mercy' in response to every petition for God to act, or whether it be the same Psalms and scripture texts every single Divine Liturgy (Psalm 103, 146, and Matthew 5:3-12 are sung as introductory hymns pretty much every Sunday), or whether it's the same Gospel and Epistle texts on the same Sunday every year, or even if it's your pastor preaching the exact same sermon - down to the letter - at every Easter/Pascha - it's all stuff we need to hear and say over and over.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,
When half-spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula View Post
Why We Worship on Repeat | Desiring God
Pretty much says what I feel about repetition in worship. Sometimes I have to read a verse over and over to get it. Singing something can often do the same thing.
I will agree with your application: Sometimes.

Sometimes it is effective.

But Psalm 136 is only 1 of 150.

For the sake of argument, repetition can also be used to lull someone into a suggestive state of mind for purposes of emotional manipulation.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

There is a good and bad. Sometimes repetition is a wonderful literary or memory device.

Other times it's just lazy or uninspired songwriting.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Nice article.

There was a pastor I worked with a number of years ago... he once complained about repetition in the songs (and they weren't even a quarter of the Jesus Culture repeats haha). He said, "Why do we need to repeat the chorus? I got it the first time." Then he went on to say something like, "...It feels like you take a song, you grind it up like hamburger, smash it into little patties, you throw it on the ground, stomp on it, toss it on the grill and burn it to a crisp and then cram it down our throats..." (shortened version)
Yeah, that was painful.
I tried to respectfully put in to words something like what this article explained (the article said it much better). I doubt I succeeded in explaining my case.

*note: he left the meeting immediately after that on a trip overseas... so I had WEEKS of leading worship while those words resonated in my skull... Upon his return he found out that I was hurt by what he said (yeah, go figure), and took me out to lunch and apologized. All good. But I still think about it sometimes when someone talks about repetition in worship.

Ironically, one of the beautiful worship practices recognized by a number of denominations (including the church I work at) is something called Taize - which, according to Wikipedia, includes prayers consisting of "short chants, repeated again and again... The words are sung over many times.” I find it interesting how sometimes things will be seen as spiritual and moving if they are a traditional practice, but if a modern song has repetition it is criticized.
Southpaw Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #6

I just believe in authentic worship. The heart is what God sees. Authentic isn't a style.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote