Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Official CGR Jedi Master

Christians and Passover

I had a thought about Passover, so I thought I'd run it by y'all to get input and discuss the topic a little bit just for kicks.

Passover started off as a result of the tenth plague over Egypt (Exodus 12). If you don't have time to read it I'll give a super-concise rundown: Anyone who wanted their firstborn son to be spared of God's just wrath and judgment had to sacrifice their blemishless firstborn innocent lamb (or goat kid) and paint its blood on their doorposts and the beam on top. If God saw that on the house than He would pass over the house and not strike the firstborn son with death. The lamb paid the price for the son. It died even though it did nothing wrong so that the son didn't have to. God told the Israelites to annually observe this occasion to keep His promise in their memories.

Then one year, the Son of God stood up at a Passover feast with His disciples and said "Fellows, this bread is my body, broken for you. And this wine is my blood spilled out for you." (ULMP) Later that night He was going to become the perfect Passover Lamb for the entire world. He was innocent, blemishless, and firstborn. He had done nothing wrong and He was going to die for everyone in the world so we don't have to. His shed Blood cleanses us from our sins, should we accept His gift of eternal life and forgiveness.

So that brings me to my wonderment: since Jesus fulfilled the Passover so to speak, should it still be observed? I kind of think of it as Christmas...it's a yearly celebration of something we really celebrate every day: the gift of eternal life that we don't even deserve. Christians now (including myself!) remember the Lord's Supper/Communion already, but is Passover worth recognizing since Jesus already fulfilled it?

I found Colossians 2:16-17 while searching the Bible for clarity. Basically anything is worth celebrating if Christ is the center of it all, and He's at the center of Passover, isn't he?

Thanks for any input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
This is Giuseppes daily reminder to CPFers that you are super awesome and God has a plan for you

*high five*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
The frequency with which I use the phrase "blows my mind" is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend seriously reading the Bible.
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Lo, He comes...

paid
Christians don't observe Passover. Christ, our Paschal lamb, is sacrificed for us, and so we celebrate His Pascha on the day of His resurrection from the dead...

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Great thoughts

Here's the way I understand it
OT -> NT
Circumcision -> Baptism
Passover -> Lord's Supper
Absence of work on Saturday (Sabbath) -> Rest on Sunday (Lord's Day)

Just as we aren't obligated to get circumcised, so also are we not obligated to partake in Passover. Or, rather, to put it another way, the commandments that Paul gave against those compelling people to get circumcised (Galatians!) would also apply to those compelling people to partake in Passover.

It has to do with where you are in redemptive history. If you intend to get circumcised in order to become a true Israelite, you have forsaken Christ who became the true Israelite for you. Likewise, if you intend to be covered by the blood of a lamb, you've forsaken Christ who became the true lamb for you. Circumcision and Passover pointed ahead to Christ; now that Christ is come, our practice must reflect that change.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Continuing on from this, why don't Christians celebrate the other Jewish feasts?
Unread 03-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #5
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood
Continuing on from this, why don't Christians celebrate the other Jewish feasts?
Some evangelical churches, because of their positions on supporting Israel and views on Christianity being a continuation of Judaism do observe the main feasts (Trumpets being the main one that I recall hearing about recently.)

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #6
Lo, He comes...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
I don't think you can make the case that we celebrate any of the Jewish feasts. The most tenuous connection you can make is Pascha/'Easter', and even that date, according to the Canons of the Council of Nicea in 325, is not to be calculated with any reference at all to the date of Passover.

We are Christians, not Jews. Why celebrate Jewish feasts? St. Paul had a few choice words to his brother Apostle, St. Peter, for trying to Judaize Christianity... (Galatians 2:11-14).

The Church and her calendar holds forth plenty in the life of the Lord and His Mother and the rest of the saints to celebrate. No need to go back to an inferior covenant!

And lightens every load.

Unread 03-28-2016, 04:08 AM   #7
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian
I don't think you can make the case that we celebrate any of the Jewish feasts. The most tenuous connection you can make is Pascha/'Easter', and even that date, according to the Canons of the Council of Nicea in 325, is not to be calculated with any reference at all to the date of Passover. We are Christians, not Jews. Why celebrate Jewish feasts? St. Paul had a few choice words to his brother Apostle, St. Peter, for trying to Judaize Christianity... (Galatians 2:11-14). The Church and her calendar holds forth plenty in the life of the Lord and His Mother and the rest of the saints to celebrate. No need to go back to an inferior covenant!
Well in regard to the feasts, God was the one who downloaded to Moses about them.
Unread 03-28-2016, 04:35 AM   #8
Lo, He comes...

paid
Hebrews 3:1-6 (NRSV)

Therefore, brothers and sisters, holy partners in a heavenly calling, consider that Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, was faithful to the one who appointed him, just as Moses also “was faithful in all God’s house.” Yet Jesus is worthy of more glory than Moses, just as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God’s house as a servant, to testify to the things that would be spoken later. Christ, however, was faithful over God’s house as a son, and we are his house if we hold firm the confidence and the pride that belong to hope.

Christ has superceded the Mosaic law. Now, Christ is our Paschal sacrifice, not mere lambs.

And lightens every load.

Unread 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Official CGR Jedi Master

Isaac, good references and further down a little in Galatians 2:19-20...since we're already redeemed, we don't need to go back to the old stuff.

I feel I should clarify: I'm not saying I'm going to eat lamb chops and flatbread lol. I was wondering what the Bible says about using Passover to remember Jesus' fulfilling sacrifice. So I'm not trying to go back to the original law or anything. I'm not trying to say that Passover is mandatory, I'm just wondering if the day could be used as a day of remembrance for Christ's sacrifice. But we now have the Lord's Supper so now I don't know if I'm confusing myself. (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

Quote:
This is Giuseppes daily reminder to CPFers that you are super awesome and God has a plan for you

*high five*
Quote:
The frequency with which I use the phrase "blows my mind" is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend seriously reading the Bible.
Unread 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Great thoughts

Here's the way I understand it
OT -> NT
Circumcision -> Baptism
Passover -> Lord's Supper
Absence of work on Saturday (Sabbath) -> Rest on Sunday (Lord's Day)

Just as we aren't obligated to get circumcised, so also are we not obligated to partake in Passover. Or, rather, to put it another way, the commandments that Paul gave against those compelling people to get circumcised (Galatians!) would also apply to those compelling people to partake in Passover.

It has to do with where you are in redemptive history. If you intend to get circumcised in order to become a true Israelite, you have forsaken Christ who became the true Israelite for you. Likewise, if you intend to be covered by the blood of a lamb, you've forsaken Christ who became the true lamb for you. Circumcision and Passover pointed ahead to Christ; now that Christ is come, our practice must reflect that change.
Amen-
We can learn by studying these things from the OT and the foreshadowing they have, but no reason to observe them.
It would be like going back to merely dating after you get married (Not that you shouldn't have dates with your spouse--but there is a difference)
Hebrews has been mentioned, and it is very relevant in this respect.
1Cor 5:7 is also very relevant:
Quote:
Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
So if you want to celebrate Passover, then celebrate Christ.
(And of course he Lord's Supper connection)
Unread 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Lo, He comes...

paid
It seems as though the OP is arguing something beyond "Christians shouldn't celebrate Passover" though. Is it that we shouldn't be celebrating the Lord's Pascha in a yearly festival since it's too much like Passover? I'm trying to get at the spirit of this thread.

And lightens every load.

Unread 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #12
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Laguna, are you asking if a passover seder is a legitimate way to remember Christ's sacrifice? It appears you aren't because you say you aren't interested in eating lambchops and matzo. But what is the Passover without the seder?

(It seems also clear to me you're not asking whether the seder can be a legitimate expression of the Lord's supper)

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Official CGR Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Laguna, are you asking if a passover seder is a legitimate way to remember Christ's sacrifice? It appears you aren't because you say you aren't interested in eating lambchops and matzo. But what is the Passover without the seder?

(It seems also clear to me you're not asking whether the seder can be a legitimate expression of the Lord's supper)
Um, Isaac, what's Pascha?

Athanatos, your assumptions are correct, I'm just wondering about remembering the day, not necessarily observing all the rituals.

Quote:

*high five*
Quote:
Unread 03-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
Lo, He comes...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Master View Post
Um, Isaac, what's Pascha?
What every other language besides English bases its word for "Easter" on (French: Pâques, Danish: Pake, Spanish: Pascua, Norwegian: Påske, Arabic: Eid al-Fasah, Amharic (spoken in Ethiopia): 'Fassika' ...Orthodox Christians in Japan call it 'Pasha', I believe...the list goes on - just to name a handful)

Also, what the Orthodox Church calls its celebration of the Resurrection, which we celebrate on May 1st this year (the reason why it's different is complicated and dates back to a decision made by a Pope in the 16th century).

I use it because it retains the connection to the Hebrew Pesach (Passover sacrifice), which Christ has become for us.

And lightens every load.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 03-30-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Unread 04-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
Illegal Immigrant

Well, the way I see it, Jesus replaced the Passover with the communion. It's what he intended on the church to observe rather than the Passover.
But yet. . .
It would be a great thing (to more understand the Jewish feasts and traditions) to study up on the feasts and the symbolism behind each part of them. It may even be helpful to partake in it every once in a while. Especially if you have any Jewish descent, it would be cool to think about what your ancestors did before Jesus's day.
Required? No. Educational? Sure!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easter, passover