Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Tired of being attacked

SJWs are bullies, wanting to legislate their morality and coerce their values and beliefs by force. It is a fundamentalist movement.. That is what this outcry is showing.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #17
Lo, He comes...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
SJWs are bullies, wanting to legislate their morality and coerce their values and beliefs by force. It is a fundamentalist movement.. That is what this outcry is showing.
And fundamentalist Christians aren't those things?

For the record, I agree that those who oppose this bill are wrong. I just disagree with a) the use of the term "SJW" as a perjorative (since it tends to be used against marginalized folks who are legit trying to fight various oppressions) and b) decrying such activists as bullies while ignoring the fundamentalists in one's own camp.

Lo! How a rose e'er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming, as seers of old hath sung,
It came a flower bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah t'was foretold it, the rose I have in mind,
With Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind,
To show God's love aright, she bore to us a Saviour,

O flower whose fragrance tender with gladness fills the air,
Dispel with glorious speldour the darkness everywhere,
True man, yet very God! From sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #18
Laborer/Philosopher

What is an SJW?

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #19
Lo, He comes...

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysostom View Post
What is an SJW?
A perjorative used to try to discredit people who speak out in favor of various social justice causes.

And lightens every load.

Unread 03-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
What is an SJW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian View Post
A perjorative used to try to discredit people who speak out in favor of various social justice causes.
Social Justice Warrior. And while there are plenty of people who are actively doing meaningful stuff to help, a lot of people who the term refers to just share angry Facebook posts and do little beyond that to actually help their community. So more often than not, it IS a pejorative than an actual thing you want to be called.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #21
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
Social Justice Warrior. And while there are plenty of people who are actively doing meaningful stuff to help, a lot of people who the term refers to just share angry Facebook posts and do little beyond that to actually help their community. So more often than not, it IS a pejorative than an actual thing you want to be called.
I agree that it's definitely pejorative. I have rarely seen SJWs take up and claim that term for themselves (possibly never). It's primarily used by people who think the causes they stand for are not legitimate and are instead the outgrowth of an overly-PC culture.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
It's primarily used by people who think the causes they stand for are not legitimate and are instead the outgrowth of an overly-PC culture.
Sadly, the causes you see people claim and get upset over on Facebook are more because of the latter.

But totally do not get me wrong, because I'm really in favour of people doing stuff to help those who really need it - and I know there are a buttload of people who go above and beyond the call to help; it's just more often than not the most you see in regard of "helping" are people sharing posts on Facebook.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #23
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
And fundamentalist Christians aren't those things?

For the record, I agree that those who oppose this bill are wrong. I just disagree with a) the use of the term "SJW" as a perjorative (since it tends to be used against marginalized folks who are legit trying to fight various oppressions) and b) decrying such activists as bullies while ignoring the fundamentalists in one's own camp.
Not on the same level for the most part. Mid 90s, yes, there were tons of those amongst Christians. Largely they have been silenced and censored by those using the same tactics to bully. What I see is actually far, far more extreme than Christian fundamentalism at its worst. It is the exact same tactics devoid of any pretense of the gospel, pursuing legislated morality.

Working in psych, I see a lot of marginalized mentally ill people absolutely shredded by self proclaimed SJWs. Yes, some claim it as a badge of honor. To explain the nuances of how it effects these folks is more than I can do on a phone. However, regardless of perspective or religion, the position of the SJW is inherently coercive and bullying. It harms some of the people I work with who are already marginalized.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #24
Lo, He comes...

paid
Interesting. I'd like to hear some of those perspectives, when you have access to an easier method of typing

And lightens every load.

Unread 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #25
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
Quote:
I agree that it's definitely pejorative. I have rarely seen SJWs take up and claim that term for themselves (possibly never). It's primarily used by people who think the causes they stand for are not legitimate
and are instead the outgrowth of an overly-PC culture.
Oh okay. Then I'm making no claims about SJWs or religious fundamentalists. I'm talking about public discourse as a whole. It forbids the different and therefore stifles imagination. Without freedom and imagination there can be no hope, joy, and peace.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #26
Gone

Quote:
Oh okay. Then I'm making no claims about SJWs or religious fundamentalists. I'm talking about public discourse as a whole. It forbids the different and therefore stifles imagination. Without freedom and imagination there can be no hope, joy, and peace.
The hell you say! *brandishes pitchfork*

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #27
|Last of the Gang to Die|

Quote:
I don't think the racism angle is more likely to create issues. It's a tense issue, but racial discrimination sets off a lot more alarm bells than LGBT discrimination (not to mention the fact that I think there's more of a legitimate case for saying "my Christian beliefs prohibit this same-sex marriage" than "... interracial marriage"). The focus is on the LGBT angle because that's why the bill exists. The racial angle is a hypothetical side effect of its sloppy writing.
The race hypothetical is a reality on the ground, at least in Mississippi. I can point you to multiple real-life black and white churches where an interracial couple would not be married, or where black people are "allowed" to attend but can't be members.

Those are mostly gone, but a few holdouts exist.

[My CGR Blog]

CGR: The Decimation
[A chronicle of CGR's timestream disruption and eventual redemption]
TheProdigalModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #28

Things are pretty well segregated in Louisiana but I have never heard of a church preventing membership based on race. I have heard some against interracial marriage though. I still don't believe that the government should try to force the churches to perform marriages that they don't believe in. It is a terrible precedent to set. I read an article recently about a preacher getting fired by Georgia department of health for what he was preaching at his church. Apparently they investigated his sermons and cited beliefs on homosexuality and evolution. It reminded me of thee Houston mayor who subpoena the sermons of the pastors who opposed her equal rights bill.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #29

Even with the racial aspect, I still don't see where it's the state's right to force churches to perform duties counter to their beliefs. Yes, if a church says a black man can't marry a white woman, that's within their rights. Just as it's your right to call them racist and find another church. Is their priorities in order? Certainly not. Separation of Church and State go both ways though. What business is it the Government's to tell religious leaders what they can call a sin and what they can't? Are we now to pray to the president as our lord and savior?
Fuyukaze is offline   Reply With Quote