Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Looking for a new amp question

Hey guys,

I'm saving for a new amp and want to know if there are any options out there that I'm not seeing. I currently am playing through a Vox VT20 and want to seriously upgrade. I'm looking to spend around $1000 and want a tube amp for sure. I'm leaning toward the Vox AC30C2. But I've also considered a Vox AC15C2 or other Vox hand wired options, but they seem too expensive. Anything else out there in the $1,000 price range worth taking a look at?

P.S. I'm pretty set in the $1,000 to $1,200 max price range.

Thanks,
Pete

Pjherma09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
...more machine than man.

The vox handwired are nice (I've got the ac4hw), but you lose a tad bit of versatility without the effects loop, and they weigh a ton.

It depends a little on your style...I'm a fan of the egnater rebel, which is definitely in your range. Might also consider a fender supersonic.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

I like the fender supersonic too. For a Vox vibe you could get a lot done with 1200 bucks. Ac30 is a great amp but HEAVY. I would look at something like a head and a cab sim, for most churches. Unless you play somewhere with a room for amps or an iso cab. With a head you can always get a speaker cabinet later if you need one.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjherma09 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm saving for a new amp and want to know if there are any options out there that I'm not seeing. I currently am playing through a Vox VT20 and want to seriously upgrade. I'm looking to spend around $1000 and want a tube amp for sure. I'm leaning toward the Vox AC30C2. But I've also considered a Vox AC15C2 or other Vox hand wired options, but they seem too expensive. Anything else out there in the $1,000 price range worth taking a look at?

P.S. I'm pretty set in the $1,000 to $1,200 max price range.

Thanks,
Pete
frenzeltubeamps.com - Home

The hotbox wildcat 50 or sweet little 15. Both in your price range, handwired, made in usa and second to none.

I have several frenzels including having had the hotbox wildcat 30(the old name for the 50) for a long time. (7-8 years + I think)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Egnater Tweaker, Hughs & Kettner tubemeister , for $1000 to $1200 you can grab one of these heads and a 1X12 or 2x12 cab
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Tired of being attacked

Having owned the tubemeister 18, it does not even come remotely close to the quality of the frenzel. Not even in the same tier of gear.

My Life.
Unread 03-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Resident Yamaha guy. It's not tube but has modeling for a variety of tube types and it's a dual head with two different speakers in the matching cab so it's extremely versatile. Anyway check out the Yamaha THR100 dual and matching cab.https://youtu.be/s_zJCXFvyzk
Unread 03-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I'm not looking for a modeling amp at all. I'm not happy with the modeling amp I currently have, which is a Vox VT20. I don't use any of the built in effects. I only play it on clean and run pedals through it. I don't know if that makes me a tone snob, but I just want a good tube amp with a good clean tone and possibly a top boost ala Vox ac30.

I'm quite interested in the frenzel amps. I will have to do more research.

Thanks.
Unread 03-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
Resident Yamaha guy. It's not tube but has modeling for a variety of tube types and it's a dual head with two different speakers in the matching cab so it's extremely versatile. Anyway check out the Yamaha THR100 dual and matching cab.https://youtu.be/s_zJCXFvyzk
This has nothing in common with what the OP actually wanted. Brand loyalty is kind of silly when it leads you to recommend something nothing akin to being asked for.

My Life.
Unread 03-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

The price range was right and it's a 2x12 cab. I prefaced my post by stating I know it's not tube. Sorry to waste the thread space.
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjherma09
Thanks guys. I'm not looking for a modeling amp at all. I'm not happy with the modeling amp I currently have, which is a Vox VT20. I don't use any of the built in effects. I only play it on clean and run pedals through it. I don't know if that makes me a tone snob, but I just want a good tube amp with a good clean tone and possibly a top boost ala Vox ac30. I'm quite interested in the frenzel amps. I will have to do more research. Thanks.
what are you doing musically? You keep bringing up Vox, but I'm wondering if that's because it's what you know or because you're actually doing something specific.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjherma09 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not looking for a modeling amp at all. I'm not happy with the modeling amp I currently have, which is a Vox VT20. I don't use any of the built in effects. I only play it on clean and run pedals through it. I don't know if that makes me a tone snob, but I just want a good tube amp with a good clean tone and possibly a top boost ala Vox ac30.

I'm quite interested in the frenzel amps. I will have to do more research.

Thanks.
I own several. For reference other amps I own area Soldano SLO, vintage fenders, vintage gibsons, Phaez, Mako, Baron, and I am getting a PRS Archon in tomorrow. Frenzels are among my absolute favorite. The cleans are gorgeous as well.

One caution about the frenzel is that the effects loop is set up for Line level. (I use a TC Electronics M300 delay/reverb in mine which can be gotten for around $100)

The cleans are gorgeous. The drive channel is pretty nice too. Its more of a 3d low to mid gain drive on the drive channel. It is by no means high gain, but you might find yourself using drive pedals a little less with it. I really like a rangemaster clone into mine.

My Life.
Unread 03-25-2016, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
what are you doing musically? You keep bringing up Vox, but I'm wondering if that's because it's what you know or because you're actually doing something specific.
I currently don't use a lot of effects, so I'm looking for something with a great clean tone. Musically, I'm the only electric in my P&W teams set up and my style is 90's alternative(not grunge). I like to play leads and "fill out" our bands sounds with notes and picked chords. But, I'm certainly not "shredding."
Unread 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Hmm...I might divert a little and at least check out the Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Hmm...I might divert a little and at least check out the Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb.

I just played a Reissue Princeton Reverb on Tuesday night, great sounding amp
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote