Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Obnoxodox

paid
Christianity and the political right

Simple question: what is it that has made professing Christians, mostly in the US and Canada (the trend is somewhat different in Europe I believe) align with the political right?

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-29-2016, 03:18 AM   #2
Person

I would like to know too. It is a weird conflation to me.

Both sides of the political spectrum have policies that align with Christian values, and policies that don't. It feels like the contentious issues where right wing views are more in line with Christian values have been cherry picked by a lot of churches as being the most important moral issues - but I'm not sure whether that's contributing to the conflation or whether it's a result of the conflation.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Read America's God: from Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln, by Mark Noll

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
A lot of conservatives I know vote republican due to their professed stance against abortion and the typical stance against homosexual marriage and the fluid gender movement, not necessarily for their economic and international relations policies. Many believe in the Biblical value of working for your living and believe that the left tends to give away the money you work hard for to freeloaders, and that leaves a bad taste in their mouths.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

Goes back to the thought we should always identify as Christians. Not Republican Christians or Democrat Christians, or even american Christians, simply Christians. Our beliefs should be firmly rooted in the word. We as a society love to find identities outside of our faith. We buy in to stuff that gives us a sense of community. We buy all sorts of things to identify ourselves to others. Bumper stickers, t-shirts, even tattoos.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Not a theological explanation, but if you want a little history lesson, google Richard Nixon religious right.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
\_(ツ)_/

It's quite interesting. Here in the old world, Christians vote for the party (or candidate) with whom they agree the most on different policies. There is no "Christian" party (well, there is... but no one votes for them).
Unread 02-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
A lot of conservatives I know vote republican due to their professed stance against abortion and the typical stance against homosexual marriage and the fluid gender movement, not necessarily for their economic and international relations policies. Many believe in the Biblical value of working for your living and believe that the left tends to give away the money you work hard for to freeloaders, and that leaves a bad taste in their mouths.
Which amuses me given how much there is in the bible about helping the poor, regardless of whether they're trying to help themselves.

I think it partially boils down to "my sin is acceptable, but theirs isn't."

It's a lot easier to criticise people for sins that you have no particular personal struggle with than to address how God calls us to handle money and poverty.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
It's quite interesting. Here in the old world, Christians vote for the party (or candidate) with whom they agree the most on different policies. There is no "Christian" party (well, there is... but no one votes for them).
We have a Christian Democratic Party in our system, but because of the way the system works, Liberal or Labour are the only ones who really end up as the leading party (unless the whole nation collectively decides to vote for a different party; and so help us, the only one it would likely be are the Greens).

The CDP often aligns with the Liberal party as they agree the closest on policies. They also tend to get one of their members into parliament somewhere at the end of the election, which is good.

Depending on the mood, I often vote for the CDP as I agree with them on most issues. Unfortunately what with the whole gay marriage thing still being a debated issue here, they're currently getting a lot of negative press. Furthermore, there's a group lobbying for the government to push a "Safe Schools Program" which is under the guise of anti-bullying, but pretty much as far as I can tell the content is: "Being gay is cool, there's more than two sexes, and if you disagree with these concepts and believe in normative marriage then you're a bigoted bully", so because the CDP obviously isn't into that everyone's going on about how bad they are.

In short: it's probably easier on your discussion of politics if there isn't a specifically Christian group.

(Rant over, we can get back to American politics)

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
|Last of the Gang to Die|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICXC_NIKA View Post
Simple question: what is it that has made professing Christians, mostly in the US and Canada (the trend is somewhat different in Europe I believe) align with the political right?
It was once because the Right here represented general platforms that were pet causes of the religious (anti-abortion, no SSM, etc.), but in the last few years the focus has shifted to somewhere along the lines that the political right is more likely to protect their rights (religious freedom, freedom of speech, etc.).

I don't think this is necessarily the case (one certain candidate makes lots of promises about saving/rescinding rights), but the Right seems a lot less threatening to white middle class Christians than your garden variety campus Maoist who wants to label basic Christian morality as hate speech while claiming to be the true vanguard of the Left these days. And because of how our national newsmedia works, that's the general representation of the Left that they're going to have channeled into their living rooms and iPads.

[My CGR Blog]

CGR: The Decimation
[A chronicle of CGR's timestream disruption and eventual redemption]
TheProdigalModern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
...more machine than man.

It's an illusion. It's really evangelicals and the right. A huge chunk of Christians vote left, but the evangelicals are louder about it. Given the left's negative views and policies towards women, minorities, the poor, and children, I don't see how any professing believer could vote for them...but here we are.

...just stirring the pot up, folks.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #12
Obnoxodox

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
...given the left's negative views and policies towards women, minorities, the poor, and children...
Please explain.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICXC_NIKA
Please explain.
He's being sarcastic, I believe.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Unread 03-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #15

Planned parenthood was started to control the African American population. There is nothing more evil than funding the sacrifice of children. Sadly most Republicans only oppose abortion because it's a party platform. We need less politicians and more people who actually want to do right. Not build a career and sell books.