Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Electric guitar, narrowing down choices

Haven't picked in 45 years. With age came patience, so I'm getting the itch to start all over. Pretty
much forgotten everything. My goal is to play for my own pleasure, mostly praise music (contemporary). I used to be able to read music. If I get back what I lost I do have interest in filling in with the praise band (way down the road). I chose electric because I hope the playability would be easier, and I like the sound better. I don't have the luxury of nearby music stores, or informed friends. I set myself a budget of $800 for the guitar. So after hours on the web, I narrowed down my "likes" to, two hollow body and two solids. Being away from playing for so long I won't appreciate tones and electronics like the seasoned player. What I'm looking for is quality, least amount of upgrades, and durability. As I progress, I don't want to think about upgrading in a couple years. I don't plan on finger picking. Obviously I'm liking the LP shape. I am not opposed to suggestions within my budget. I have been reading other post but didn't find what I was looking for. Any responses will be appreciated and valued. Thanks in advance. In order of most liked first:
1. 2016 Gibson LP Studio Faded
2. PRS SE245 Soapbar
3. Epi Limited Edition LP Florentine
4. Gretsch G2420 Streamliner

Galatians 2:20
Wideboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

Resident Yamaha guy here. The new RS lineup has a dry switch eq circuit that rolls off the bass. The body style is like a double cut lp. Solid bodies, set neck and alnico pickups. 300 series start at $399. I'm eyeing the 502T with P90s and a cool looking tailpiece. Anyway, I have 10 Yamaha guitars and have never had one let me down playing live for 5 years. I play out 3 times per week.

My 2c. I pray your return to playing is blessed by the Lord. Best of luck.
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Person

To be honest, I would go with what you liked first. Everyone has different preferences, and even within a given model there will be a reasonable amount of variation.

Beyond that, generally speaking, people find themselves wanting to upgrade the electronics on epiphones. I have an Epiphone SG400 that I'd like to put new pickups on at some point.

If I were choosing between those four, I suspect I'd go for the prs because I prefer P90s or single coils to humbuckers. However, that's a personal preference thing, and you might prefer the sound of humbuckers.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #4

Personally I'd go with the Gibson or Epi--I like humbuckers & I like P-90s
PRS doesn't do much for me, nor does Gretsch.

HOWEVER-
I'm not the one playing your guitar--if at all possible play each one & see if any of them speak to you (Metaphorically of course)
Do any of them cry out "I'm yours"

Any of them would be decent choices in your scenario.
Unread 02-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
Tired of being attacked

Personally, I'd go for the gibson. I like my Gibsons and my homebuilt ones.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Xcelerate.

If you're interested in a thinline LP kind of thing, check out the PRS SE Zach Myers. I think I remember playing one a while back that was absolutely incredibly. It also has a unique style to it, which may or may not appeal to you.

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

When I started playing again I picked up a new Gibson LP faded special w/humbuckers for about $500. I have never regretted that purchase. I have many other LPs now plus other guitars. The studio would be a solid guitar to get back into things with. In the future if you do decide it isn't for you then at least the resale value will be better.

It is for you though. You need to look at them and decide what is going to keep you motivated to play.
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Hey ya'll, watch this!

You've got a pretty nice list of candidates. To me it would come down to a pretty subjective impression of what feels best. Fretboard layout is a huge factor for me with an electric. Not so much with acoustics with their flatter radius but electric guitars are a different animal entirely. You're going to have to sit down with each guitar for a bit and see what fits your style and physical attributes.

And don't forget that an amp is the most important part of the signal chain for most electric players. Or amp modeler if you're like me. Although I have to say I've got the serious hankering for some flavor of Fender amp these days but can't justify the money for the amount of time it would get played.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
Personally, I'd go for the gibson. I like my Gibsons and my homebuilt ones.

Love Gibsons! The Axcess model is my favorite. You can change tones with a flip of a button. Its a great guitar!
Ratmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

Get the best PRS you can afford and you'll never look back.
mikesr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Well I've looked online about as much as I care to. Guess I'm going to make
the hour drive and get a couple in my hands. I keep getting drew to the Gibson.
I'll see if it feels as good as it looks. Kinda want to hear the semi hollow body
before I decide anyway. Should be a fun trip, might stop and check out "Risen"
while I'm out. Going out for a movie is a treat for us.
Unread 02-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

Well we made a day trip out of it. Stopped at Sam Ash and Guitar Center. I was surprised after looking in person, listening and feeling a few. I kept getting drew to the Gibson SG Faded 2016 T in Worn Brown. I have a set of chrome Gibson pickup covers coming that I am going to brush finish. It already has a black toggle switch. Later I will probably install black tuners. I am going to polish the worn brown to a low luster. Wanting to keep cost down I tried to keep the amp simple but decent quality. Not knowing much more than what I have read I went with the Fender Super Champ X2. Not sure about the 10" speaker but figured I could upgrade it later if I feel the need.
A little less than $100 over planned budget but I think they'll last me awhile.
Unread 02-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Xcelerate.

That'll be a nice combo. Congrats!

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #14

Almost done, wanted to give the dull finish a light buff. While it was apart
stuck a set of covers on the pickups. Rather had black but Gibson didn't
offer them that I could find.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0312.jpg  
Unread 02-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #15

Sounds like you're going to have some fun! Congratulations!
David Hardesty is offline   Reply With Quote