Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #1

new to learning guitar.. have an easy question.

hi everyone,

as the title says, i'm new to learning the guitar. I've learned a few chords, but I really want to get into some songs. The one that popped into my head first was "Meet With Me"

I searched for how to play the song, and came across this website (ultimate-guitar.com.. I can't post links yet!)) where it says to play G/B. Another one is G/F#.

And my question is what do I do when it says, G/B? Is that a complete chord? Do I pick either G or B to play?

Any help would be appreciated.

maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-14-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
Person

Whenever there's a slash like that, it means that it's the chords before the slash with the note after the slash in the bass. So G/B is a G chord with a B in the bass.

In a band context you might play your normal full G chord while the bass guitar plays a B. However, sometimes guitarists will play a version of a chord that has the note after the slash as the lowest note in the chord.

I assume the song you're talking about is the one by ten shekel shirt? If I remember correctly, the main progression is:
G/B - - C2 - - D/F# - - G

If I were to write the guitar tab of how I would play those chords, it'd be:

3 - - 3 - - x - - 3
3 - - 3 - - 3 - - 3
0 - - 0 - - 2 - - 0
0 - - 2 - - 0 - - 0
2 - - 3 - - 0 - - 2
x - - x - - 2 - - 3

Hope that helps.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Basically... run.

paid
That said, you can play an ordinary version of that chord if you feel it sounds better or don't want to/can'r play it tht way.

Also worth noting is that songs on UG are fan-submitted and will sometimes have some interesting, but incorrect chords (sometimes because they give them the wrong name).

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
Whenever there's a slash like that, it means that it's the chords before the slash with the note after the slash in the bass. So G/B is a G chord with a B in the bass.

In a band context you might play your normal full G chord while the bass guitar plays a B. However, sometimes guitarists will play a version of a chord that has the note after the slash as the lowest note in the chord.

I assume the song you're talking about is the one by ten shekel shirt? If I remember correctly, the main progression is:
G/B - - C2 - - D/F# - - G

If I were to write the guitar tab of how I would play those chords, it'd be:

3 - - 3 - - x - - 3
3 - - 3 - - 3 - - 3
0 - - 0 - - 2 - - 0
0 - - 2 - - 0 - - 0
2 - - 3 - - 0 - - 2
x - - x - - 2 - - 3

Hope that helps.
Yes, the beginning helps.. but I don't know anything about tabs yet. Right now, I'm trying to focus on learning G C and D chords and being able to switch between them at a reasonable speed.

I don't know if it was Ten Shekel shirt.. it's a worship song. "I'm here to meet with you, come and meet with me. I'm here to find you, reveal yourself to me. As I wait, you make me strong, as I long, draw me to your arms. As I stand and sing your praise, you come, you come and you fill this place."

Thanks
Unread 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
That said, you can play an ordinary version of that chord if you feel it sounds better or don't want to/can'r play it tht way.

Also worth noting is that songs on UG are fan-submitted and will sometimes have some interesting, but incorrect chords (sometimes because they give them the wrong name).
Good to know, thanks.
Unread 02-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #6

I sometimes play bass on the worship team--(& sometimes guitar)
I will normally play the not indicated as being in the bass--although sometimes it doesn't work--so I don't do that--it also depends if we have a keyboard player and what they do.

When playing with others--listen to see which works better for that song & that part of the song.