Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Recording Challenges

I'd like to start something that I think could be pretty fun: recording challenges! They'll be simple, quirky, and could hopefully offer an opportunity for people to improve their skills as home producers. These challenges have no expiration date and you are more than welcome to jump in anytime and do whatever challenges look fun to you.

First challenge: Narrate Something (30 minute time limit)
Grab the nearest instruction manual to you and narrate 1-2 minutes of it into whatever microphone you have handy, using whatever DAW you choose. Record, edit, export as mp3, and post the result here. Tell us what kind of mic you used, what software you used, how you ordered your effects, any VST plugins you used, and how long it took you from start to finish. You have a maximum of 30 minutes to complete this challenge once you have started (from selecting your manual to starting the final export). This challenge has no expiration date.

Tips:
- You can use any kind of microphone. USB, XLR, webcam, or built-in laptop microphones can be used. You can even use your phone.
- Proximity to your microphone is everything here. Closer proximity captures more dynamic range of voice.
- You can use a t-shirt as a makeshift pop filter if you don't have one. Just stretch it out in front of the mic.
- You want your voice to sound big and in charge.

My result:

Item read: Audio Technica Pro37 manual.
Mic: Samson Go Mic (USB)
DAW: Adobe Audition CC 2015
Sample rate: 44100Hz (standard quality), 16-bit, Mono
Export: mp3 320Kbps

Effects and ordering:

1. Noise Reduction (built-in with software. Smoothing: 397. Transition width: 0dB. Spectral decay: 65%. Precision factor: 32. Noise reduction: 90%. Reduce by: 44.1dB. Applied separately before other effects added.

2. Tube-modeled compressor (built-in with software). Thresh: -20dB. Gain: 3dB. Ratio: 2:1
Attack: 10ms. Release: 100ms.

3. Little Alter Boy (VST). Pitch reduced -1, formant reduced -2.5. (To make my tiny voice sound bigger and older).

4. Expander-gate w/ dynamics processing (built-in with software): Thresh: -58dB. Transition: -58dB to -50dB.

5. Parametric EQ. Hi-pass filter @ 65Hz w/ 12dB/oct gain. 4dB shelf boost @ 120Hz. 6dB shelf boost @ 5425Hz. Lo-pass filter @ 16538Hz w/ 24dB/oct gain.

Time from start to finish: 15 minutes.

recording: https://soundcloud.com/benedicttoast...closest-to-you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...

Last edited by Ben Toast; 02-08-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Challenge Two: Record a Song on the Acoustic Guitar (no time limit)

Break out yer git fiddle and record a song. It can be as simple or complex of a recording as you'd like to make it. It can be a cover or an original. Vocals, no vocals, doesn't matter. The point here is to (at least try to) record something.

Tip: if you don't have a microphone and interface, try to find your next best substitute. A phone may not be a bad idea. Also, if you're multitracking, try to use a metronome to stay on beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote