Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #1
Obnoxodox

paid
"Bible College" vs Seminary

...what's the difference? What distinguishes a "Bible College" from a seminary?

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

Typically, a Bible college only awards certificates and undergraduate degrees. Seminaries award post-graduate degrees,

That's just from my own personal experience.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lebomanus View Post
Typically, a Bible college only awards certificates and undergraduate degrees. Seminaries award post-graduate degrees,

That's just from my own personal experience.
This, in a nutshell.

Bible college = Certificates, Associates, Bachelors.
Seminary = Certificates (sometimes), Associates (sometimes), Bachelors, Masters, Doctoral studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Obnoxodox

paid
Ah, that makes sense! So a Bible College is more of an undergrad institution.

I wonder what Regent College would be considered, given that it only offers Graduate studies. They call themselves a "Grad School", which is fair enough!

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICXC_NIKA View Post
Ah, that makes sense! So a Bible College is more of an undergrad institution.

I wonder what Regent College would be considered, given that it only offers Graduate studies. They call themselves a "Grad School", which is fair enough!
Usually a seminary is devoted to religious studies. A grad school can have religious studies and other graduate programs.
Unread 02-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
Old School
Administrator

What's the difference?
Unread 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lebomanus View Post
Thank you! That clears up even some things I didn't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Old School
Administrator

De nada
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Gone

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School is a good test case for the difference between a Seminary and a Divinity School. Although it's part of Trinity International University, the Undergrad, Graduate School, and Law School are much smaller than the Divinity School. However, it's a united institution where you could study Education (Grad School), Music or other stuff (Undergrad), Law (Law School obviously), or go to the Divinity School.

If you compare the degrees offered at Trinity with those offered at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary or Westminster Theological Seminary, two extremely prestigious seminaries with a reputation for academic rigor, one of the things that marks Trinity as a Divinity School rather than a Seminary is that while all three have extensive Masters programs, and all three have excellent MDiv programs, you can't get a Master of Arts in Old Testament and Semitic Languages at WTS or SBTS. If your intention is to go on to PhD work in Old Testament, you'd get an MDiv and then a ThM with a focus in Old Testament, then go for the PhD. The MA-OT track is much more an academic track, rather than a professional ministry / theological track.

You can also get an MA and PhD in Archaeology at Trinity, stuff like that. So you want to know Akkadian and Sumerian? Middle Egyptian? Master cuneiform and hieroglyphics? Trinity is that kind of place.

On the other hand, both SBTS and WTS offer PhD programs in many of these areas, like OT or NT, Systematic Theology, Church History, etc. So you could do a PhD at any of the three, but if you don't want to spend 5-7 years at the Masters level first, go to a Divinity School and get an MA in 2 years and go straight to PhD.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School is a good test case for the difference between a Seminary and a Divinity School. Although it's part of Trinity International University, the Undergrad, Graduate School, and Law School are much smaller than the Divinity School. However, it's a united institution where you could study Education (Grad School), Music or other stuff (Undergrad), Law (Law School obviously), or go to the Divinity School.

If you compare the degrees offered at Trinity with those offered at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary or Westminster Theological Seminary, two extremely prestigious seminaries with a reputation for academic rigor, one of the things that marks Trinity as a Divinity School rather than a Seminary is that while all three have extensive Masters programs, and all three have excellent MDiv programs, you can't get a Master of Arts in Old Testament and Semitic Languages at WTS or SBTS. If your intention is to go on to PhD work in Old Testament, you'd get an MDiv and then a ThM with a focus in Old Testament, then go for the PhD. The MA-OT track is much more an academic track, rather than a professional ministry / theological track.

You can also get an MA and PhD in Archaeology at Trinity, stuff like that. So you want to know Akkadian and Sumerian? Middle Egyptian? Master cuneiform and hieroglyphics? Trinity is that kind of place.

On the other hand, both SBTS and WTS offer PhD programs in many of these areas, like OT or NT, Systematic Theology, Church History, etc. So you could do a PhD at any of the three, but if you don't want to spend 5-7 years at the Masters level first, go to a Divinity School and get an MA in 2 years and go straight to PhD.
Though at SBTS and WTS you can get an MA:Religion with an emphasis (WTS - theological studies, biblical studies, or urban ministry IIRC; SBTS - MTS and similar) ... I don't know how these would be different from the MA-OT&SL ... as WTS offers (offered) the Biblical studies emphasis which has built into it (like the MDiv and other MAs) 19 credits in Greek/Hebrew and on top of that electives in Aramaic and Ugaritic

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
Gone

The programs are pretty different, and Trinity's MA-OT is much shorter than an MAR at WTS. You can compare for yourself:

http://files1.wts.edu/uploads/images...al_Studies.pdf

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School | Master of Arts / Old Testament & Semitic Languages

One of the differences I notice in the catalog is the breadth of Semitic languages (plus Egyptian) offered at Trinity, along with archaeological fieldwork:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trinity Catalog
OT 7455 Fieldwork in the Middle East
This course serves as a capstone experience in the MA in Biblical Archaeology program. The student will
spend a minimum of three weeks working on an excavation at a site in the world of the Bible that is
approved by the Department and will write a paper that will integrate the field experience with an issue in
Biblical Archaeology. The course normally will be taken at the conclusion of the first year of residency.
Available every semester. Two hours.

OT 7456 Fieldwork in the Middle East Extension
A one-semester extension for OT 7455. Enrollment with consent of the faculty member of record.
Extension fee when not enrolled in other courses. Counts as quarter-time academic status. No Credit.
Zero hours.

OT 7460 Qumran and Dead Sea Scrolls
A study of select readings from the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew alongside the archaeological finds from
Qumran and first century Palestine. Particular attention is given to the contributions that this corpus
makes to biblical studies, textual criticism, and the beliefs and practices of intertestamental and New
Testament Judaism, as well a early Christianity. Prerequisite: OT 5242. Three hours.

OT 7610 Biblical Aramaic
Reading of the Aramaic portions of Daniel 2–7 and Ezra 4–7 and comparison of Aramaic phonology,
morphology, and syntax with Hebrew. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 5242. Three hours master’s
or doctoral.

OT 7614 Extrabiblical Aramaic
Reading of Aramaic papyri and inscriptions from the first seven centuries of the first millennium B.C., as
well as selected Aramaic Targums. Comparison of phonology, morphology, and syntax with biblical
Aramaic. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 7610. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7620 Akkadian I
Introduction to the Sumero-Akkadian cuneiform script of ancient Babylonia and Assyria and inductive
study of the essentials of the grammar. Reading of selections from the Code of Hammurabi, the Epic of
Gilgamesh, the Babylonian Creation Epic, and the Neo-Assyrian royal inscription, with comparisons to
the Hebrew Bible. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 5242. Offered on demand. Three hours master’s
or doctoral.

OT 7621 Akkadian II
Continuation of OT 7020. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 7020. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7630 Ugaritic
Guided reading in selected Ugaritic texts. Study of Ugaritic vocabulary, morphology, and syntax.
Linguistic comparison of the language and texts with reference to points of contact with the Hebrew
Bible. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 5242. Offered on demand. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7640 Syriac
Introduction to Syriac grammar with limited reading of the Peshitta text of the Old Testament. May not be
audited. Prerequisite: OT 7010. Offered on demand. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7650 Sumerian
An introduction to the early cuneiform script and a study of the Sumerian language and literature in its
historical context. A substantial part of the course is devoted to reading selected Sumerian texts from
royal inscriptions and other genres. May not be audited. Prerequisite: OT 5242. Offered on demand.
Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7655 West Semitic Inscriptions
A study of selected extra-biblical Hebrew, Moabite, Philistine, Ammonite and Phoenician inscriptions
according to their epigraphic contexts. Particular attention will be given to issues of genre, culture,
religion and history as related to the Hebrew Bible. Prerequisite: OT 5242 or consent of the department
chair. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

OT 7660 Middle Egyptian
This is an introductory course on the Egyptian language from the period 2100-1400 B.C. The student will
learn to read, transcribe and translate hieroglyphs. The grammar and syntax of Middle Egyptian will be
covered as well. Three hours master’s or doctoral.

Gone

Last edited by Ted Logan; 03-14-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Unread 03-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
it surprises me that only 3 hours (ie 1 class) of a language are required. i was feeling a little insecure about my language experience at fuller, but apparently we have stricter language requirements, which--again--surprises me.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Gone

Can you post Fuller's degree requirements?

Gone
Unread 04-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
sorry it took me a bit to respond. fuller's requirements for an ancient near eastern studies emphasis are below, and here is the website.

Quote:
CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS
To earn an emphasis in Ancient Near Eastern Studies**, students must fulfill the emphasis requirements (32 units) listed below:

REQUIRED COURSES (12 UNITS):

LG506 Advanced Hebrew Grammar
LG525 Biblical Aramaic
OT583 Ancient Near Eastern History, Literature, and Culture

CHOOSE FOUR (16 UNITS):

LG533 Ugaritic I - Beginning Ugaritic
LG534 Ugaritic II - Special Topics in Ugaritology
LG535 Beginning Akkadian
LG536 Advanced Akkadian
LG546 Northwest Semitic Texts
OT576 Experiencing the Land of the Bible
Other courses, such as OT506 Hebrew Exegesis, may be approved by the emphasis coordinator as ANE courses if their content is appropriate to the emphasis

CHOOSE ONE (4 UNITS):

OT554 Israelite Religion in its Ancient Near Eastern Context
OT581 History and Historiography of Ancient Israel

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
What the heck is a unit?

I've never heard of that calculation before.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote