Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chunkster
What the heck is a unit? I've never heard of that calculation before.
typically a unit corresponds roughly to one hour of lecture per week.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #17

A more meaningful difference is which denomination or faith tradition is operating the institution. Some faith traditions require a candidate for ordination to have a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary affiliated with their faith tradition. Other faith traditions only require a Bachelor's Degree from a Bible College, affiliated with or at least endorsed by their leadership. If you want to be a Methodist Minister, then you need to get the education that whatever denomination of Methodists you are called to serve requires. It's the same to be a Lutheran, Episcopalian, Baptist, or even a non-denominational. While there are a few churches with no qualifications or requirements for ordination, and nothing to prevent anyone from declaring himself a clergyman and starting his own congregation, most organized religions have standards. If you feel called to the ministry, ascertain which church body you are called to, and then get the education that body requires.
George E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Bible College vs. Seminary vs. MTS vs. Holy Spirit+Bible+Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by George E View Post
A more meaningful difference is which denomination or faith tradition is operating the institution. Some faith traditions require a candidate for ordination to have a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary affiliated with their faith tradition. Other faith traditions only require a Bachelor's Degree from a Bible College, affiliated with or at least endorsed by their leadership. If you want to be a Methodist Minister, then you need to get the education that whatever denomination of Methodists you are called to serve requires. It's the same to be a Lutheran, Episcopalian, Baptist, or even a non-denominational. While there are a few churches with no qualifications or requirements for ordination, and nothing to prevent anyone from declaring himself a clergyman and starting his own congregation, most organized religions have standards. If you feel called to the ministry, ascertain which church body you are called to, and then get the education that body requires.
Bible College vs. Seminary vs. Ministry Training School vs. Holy Spirit + Bible + Faith

While I do have a diploma from a somewhat ad hoc ministry training school, and a certificate of ordination from a church in Pittsburgh, I was asked to return both. Well, they are both still hanging in my office ... I did finish all the requirements to graduate on the former, and the latter states that the had "full and sufficient opportunity for judging gifts, Christian experience, calling to the ministry, and views of Bible doctrine." None of that has changed, but they changed a LOT.

But in the end, the gifts and calling are from God (or so I am convicted). Formal education can be of great help to discipline and train a candidate for ministry, and help protect them from heresy and exuberance ... but can also strip away faith in God and replace it with human bigotry. I am not against formal ministry training, but the church is more fragmented than ever, so a burden of teaching truth and simplicity is upon such institutions. I have personally seen a number of highly-educated, mealy-mouthed, lukewarm graduates with strong agendas and visions of grandeur ... and very little faith in Jesus Christ, the Bible, or spiritual intimacy with the Spirit of God. Not all! But enough to make me wonder. (I would point out some recent surveys, but honestly don't want to go digging into dirty laundry at this time)

My examples: Peter, James, the person who wrote Hebrews, John, and Paul (not to be confused with highly-educated Saul, Paul claimed that all was trash in comparison to knowing Jesus)

2 yen from Japan (at todays rate, about 2 cents)

cj
charisjapan is offline   Reply With Quote