Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Confessions of a former worship leader

Given the variety of backgrounds here, I'd be interested in opinions of this blog post.

Confessions of a Former “Worship Leader”

Remember to be kind before you wholeheartedly agree or disagree with it.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Generally right. He put too much emphasis on experience and feelings being both (a) authoritative and (b) normative over what the Scriptures and Tradition actually outline or expect him to do.

It was unfortunate that he didn't examine the depth of the Reformed tradition (his comments are extremely superficial and caricature) for a deep confessionalism and robust theology of worship. He could've had what he was looking for without going Lutheran.

Either way, though, it looks like his position looks far more healthy.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

I noticed the overuse of "I" statements. As a worship leader for three different ministries and a worship band, I'm merely a conduit for the Spirit to work. I show up prayed up and having practiced the songs and then get out of the way.

I get the impression the author felt responsible for people having a meaningful worship experience. As a school teacher, I understand that we humans can do our part but if the participants don't do their part, the desired outcomes are not likely met.

As for the doubt and near loss of faith, I've experienced first hand the god of this world attacking my servitude and planting a seed of doubt. If I don't get into the word and stay prayed up, that seed might try to sprout into something else.

Thanks for the share.
Unread 02-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #4

Sometimes we try too hard. In doing so, we can lose sight of what brought us to where we are. Sometimes, the simple things are all that matter. Anytime you are in a leadership position the best you can do is to lead. You may have struggled with your leadership from time to time no worse than the audince might be struggling in their pew. It is not fair to expect them to get or feel the same passion you might have felt or do feel when singing. In our church, we are what you might call slow starters when it comes to the worship/praise service and it may well bother the pastor. If it does, he never let's it show and he continues on unless we are all feeling moved at which time he is sensitive enough to not get in the way of the spirit that encompasses the congregation at that time. No batter hits a grand-slam home run every time he gets up to bat. They usually strike out more often than they get a hit - that's reality. Just do your job to the best of your ability and let God take care of the rest.
excuzzzeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Obnoxodox

paid
As an Orthodox Christian I feel what the author is saying. I recently visited an evangelical/modern-worship type Anglican church for the baptism of the pastor's infant daughter (the pastor is a friend of mine). The music was exuberant. There was raising of hands and the whole deal. But I felt totally alone. Because my worship of God is not exuberant. I am chronically depressed. There are days when even speaking and hearing my own voice disgusts me.

In my church, we worship using only the human voice. There are (usually) no instruments (though occasionally the Ethiopians and Copts will use percussion instruments to keep time, and sometimes some churches will use an organ to lay down an ison, or drone note) - just beautiful harmonies and voices lifted to God in songs.

Last night I came back to the church after a grocery trip with my priest and two of his kids. His wife, (our choir director) and a couple of the choir members were practicing in our living room. It was a sound more beautiful than anything I've ever heard with guitars and microphones, and, moreover, the songs contain, restrain and direct the singer in such a way that, if they sing what is written, the sum of the whole is beautiful.

No other worship style, I do not think, will ever be as compelling to me.

Last edited by IsaactheSyrian; 03-13-2016 at 06:23 PM.
IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
As a post-evangelical "Lutheran" myself, I felt this deep in my bones. I do think there's something to music, because it does engage the heart. But repeatedly singing songs over and over and over, whether "worship" music or "regular" music, will eventually bleed the heart dry. It's the same if I sing my own songs of sadness over and over; eventually, I no longer feel the deep connection I had to that song. It becomes "an imaginary friend that I've outgrown." When believers come together to worship, it should be corporate, not individual. And the reading of scripture and the breaking of the bread is a very tangible way for each person to be involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote