Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Prayer Requests & Testimonies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Friend dealing with a potential cancer scare

One of my dearest friends found a lump in her breast a few weeks ago, and went in for a mammogram after her family doctor told her it was likely just a cyst. The mammogram revealed that it wasn't just a cyst, but was a tumor of some kind, and they scheduled a biopsy for Tuesday to determine if it is benign (in which case it will just need to be removed and then looked after in case it comes back) or if it is cancerous. They won't get the results for that until Thursday.

She told me about the lump and the mammogram this past Wednesday, but wasn't worried, so the news that it may actually be cancerous is frightening to say the least. She is married and has three sons, ages 14, 12, and 8. I know that her husband has been really struggling with it, but they are choosing not to tell the boys until the night before her biopsy and they are not mentioning the possibility of cancer to them until they have a diagnosis. I'm sure it's hard for them to be left wondering what the future holds while also keeping life normal for their boys.

This woman is like family to me, I've known her and her husband since I was 13 or 14 and their boys were very small. They have been a massive influence on my life. It's been difficult to process and wait and not know. I'm struggling to know how to be there for my friend, how to deal with my own emotions, and how to trust the Lord and wait and know that he holds this in his hands as much as anything else.

So, I would appreciate prayers for my friend, that this tumor is benign and causes no issues, and for her family and friends as we wait and pray with her.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Live life on island time

Prayer going out and best wishes for your friend
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Super Mom

paid
Praying for her. Waiting is so hard.
Unread 01-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Thanks guys I saw her and her family today at church and got a chance to talk to her and she seems to be doing pretty well. She said that not knowing is really the worst part, and that it'll be somewhat of a relief to know what it is regardless of whether it's cancer or not, because at least then they can deal with it as they need to. They are really busy with the boys sports and having lots of friends over which is helping pass the time.
Unread 01-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
Obnoxodox

paid
Prayers ascending. Grace and peace to your friend and her family.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Biopsy went well, they're chilling out at home and hoping to distract themselves until Thursday morning when they go in for results. I think we're going to take some board games over this afternoon.
Unread 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Got the call this afternoon, earlier than expected. She has cancer. She has an appointment Monday to determine what treatment will look like, but it will definitely include either a lumpectomy or mastectomy and likely radiation and/or chemo.
Unread 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Live life on island time

prayers going out... I'm not in a position to understand what people go through in these situations, yet hopefully modern medicine and prayer can overcome.
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #9
Obnoxodox

paid
Lord have mercy!

Unread 01-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Received some pretty good news yesterday about Kim. She met with the surgeon and he said the tumor is small enough that they don't need to do any radiation before surgery. She's going to go ahead and get a double mastectomy to prevent any future issues with recurrence and because she avoids having to do radiation that way. They won't know if it has spread to her lymph nodes until after surgery, but if it has then they will remove those and then do more scans to see where else it has spread, and that will determine a lot of how her treatment looks. The doctors seemed optimistic about it being localized, though they cannot know for sure, so right now that is what we are praying. Surgery will likely be in a couple weeks.
Unread 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
Super Mom

paid
That sounds very promising. Still praying for Kim.
Unread 02-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Kim is having a double mastectomy on February 25th, just a few days away. If they don't find any cancer in her lymph nodes, she's gets to have her reconstruction at the same time and move forward without worrying about treatments. If they do find that the cancer has spread, they'll have to do some combo of radiation and/or chemo, and her reconstruction will likely have to wait until that is done from my understanding. So, I ask anyone who reads this to please join me in prayer for her, that there is no cancer in her lymph nodes, that her recovery is smooth, and that her friends and family would have wisdom in how to love her well through this.
Unread 02-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Kim had her double mastectomy today and her lymph nodes were clear. Praise Jesus.
Unread 02-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
Obnoxodox

paid
I'll say the same thing I said in your journal: glory to God for all things!

Unread 02-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #15
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
YAY