Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

MacBook hard drive compatibility?

I have two MacBooks (both 2007 models: 1,1 and 3,1). The keyboard circuitry on the 3,1 just went kaput. Genius Bar recommends either using an external keyboard, or getting a new machine.

The 3,1 was my brother's and he gave it to me a few years back. Timing was good as the 1,1 was maxed out at OS X 10.5.8 and couldn't go any higher. The 3,1 is now maxed out at Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

Could I just put the 3,1 hard drive into the 1,1 shell, and all is well? Or is the OS X still going to be incompatible because the 1,1 processor can't handle it?

If the hard drive is not cross-compatible, is the upper case/keyboard? I could put the 1,1 keyboard on the 3,1 and that would also solve my problem.

Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more specs on either machine to help with the answer.

in all the will of God.
--Colossians 4:12 ESV
Epaphras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Basically... run.

paid
Macs are those really awkward kinds of products where slight differences between models will prevent you from using parts in others. Even the batteries ever so slightly differ from model to model, and they don't make it obvious (we accidentally ordered a battery for a model that was seemingly right as far as we could tell, but it went in another model with a reused number... I don't remember the specifics, but it was something to that effect).

Being the same age, I imagine the keyboard should be transferrable. If they're the same dimensions, likely the connector is exactly the same. As for the HDD I can't say for certain. Windows OEM will generally freak out when it gets moved to different hardware, and I imagine there is some check in OSX so you can't cheat.

My answer is: probably not, but if you want to try it I doubt it'll stuff everything up. It probably just won't boot in the worst case scenario.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Putting it into new hardware would give some really interesting results, more than likely. Your mac could do something wonky like try to reformat itself or something like that immediately upon boot. Macs have been known to do weird things like that in the past.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

I would backup your stuff, create media for reinstalling OS X, wipe the drive, swap it in, reinstall it.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
I would backup your stuff, create media for reinstalling OS X, wipe the drive, swap it in, reinstall it.
I think the question was more about getting the later version of OSX onto the older Macbook that isn't supported. I imagine if it were fresh installed it would have a major whinge.

(Unless of course you've successfully done this, in which case do what Frank says )

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 01-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post

I think the question was more about getting the later version of OSX onto the older Macbook that isn't supported. I imagine if it were fresh installed it would have a major whinge.

(Unless of course you've successfully done this, in which case do what Frank says )
I mean install the older OSX onto the new hard drive...

Edit: eh...idk...forget it
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
I mean install the older OSX onto the new hard drive...

Edit: eh...idk...forget it
Ah okay, I wasn't 100% sure if that's what you meant. I was under the impression that Epaphras was wanting the newer version of OSX.