Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Chord Name for D chord with a Cmaj shape

Hey guys! Though I've been playing guitar and bass for MANY years, some chord names still elude me. We are doing Holy Spirit (the one where Cody Carnes starts and Kari Jobe picks up on the 2nd Verse) a full step lower than how they do it. I know that the chord chords at the beginning, in this key, are D and then G, but it really sounds like what is being played on the guitar is an open C shape moved up a step from the original C position. Hope this makes sense.

x54030 would be the fret positions (I think I have that in the right order).

noisefiend3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Basically... run.

paid
I asked one of my friends who is pretty good at music theory that once, and I think he thought it might be Dadd11, and Googling that chord seems to indicate a few people who agree. It also brings about a lot of argument and disagreement too. :P

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I asked one of my friends who is pretty good at music theory that once, and I think he thought it might be Dadd11, and Googling that chord seems to indicate a few people who agree. It also brings about a lot of argument and disagreement too. :P
I think what it is is people cheating and playing an easier D even though it has extra notes. Probably, they frequently end up not letting the open strings ring out particularly well, which would make it just a plain D (x54x3x basically).
Unread 12-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach View Post
I think what it is is people cheating and playing an easier D even though it has extra notes. Probably, they frequently end up not letting the open strings ring out particularly well, which would make it just a plain D (x54x3x basically).
Eh... in certain situations it sounds really good. I wouldn't use it a lot though.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

This is used in Thrice's Come All You Weary at the end of the chorus, I think. It would definitely sound wrong if you just played D.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisefiend3000 View Post
I am still earning my theory, but in that fingering there is no A, meaning the 5th of the scale is missing. Typically an 11th or as I have more commonly seen it written, a Dadd4 would both need a 5th. If you played the 1st or 6th string at fret 5, you would have an inversion of the Dadd11 or Dadd4, because you would have the 5th. you would have to mute whichever string (1 or 6) you did not use, since that is the 2 of the scale.

as laid out above, I don't know WHAT you could call it.

Again, this is just me speaking from a very beginning theory level.

FYI, another song that uses it a lot is Paul Baloche's Hosanna, in the pre-chorus, but he does not play a fifth at all.
dknitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisefiend3000 View Post
Hey guys! Though I've been playing guitar and bass for MANY years, some chord names still elude me. We are doing Holy Spirit (the one where Cody Carnes starts and Kari Jobe picks up on the 2nd Verse) a full step lower than how they do it. I know that the chord chords at the beginning, in this key, are D and then G, but it really sounds like what is being played on the guitar is an open C shape moved up a step from the original C position. Hope this makes sense.

As illustrated, you have a D add 11. IF you were to play it 554x3x, you would have a D Major chord, A bass (or a D6/4, for you music theory folks) Muting two strings with one finger isn't hard, if you play fat-fingered, like I do.
Doug52332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

It should technically be a Dadd9add11(no5). I often leave out the high E, which makes it a Dadd11(no5). Or sometimes play it as x54035 to add a high A, making it a Dadd11.

Acoustic:
Guitars: Carvin C750TS, Alvarez RD8C
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote