Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Two companies, same pedal name

Today EHX dropped their new full-range overdrive, the Crayon.

A month and a half ago images of the JHS Crayon started leaking from gear shows.

Needless to say, JHS has gone on a media-blitz to establish the legitimacy of their claim to the Crayon name.

It's all very interesting.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
on rye

In the current pedal climate where people claim they can hear the most minuscule differences between ten different brands of tubescreamers, I can't imagine there being an issue.

Seriously, pedal culture is so geeked out right now, the only people who might possibly get these two confused with each other is the Christmas gift buying spouse who doesn't know ANYTHING about pedals.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I really love how both of their introduction videos have them playing almost the exact same riff.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 11-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
In the current pedal climate where people claim they can hear the most minuscule differences between ten different brands of tubescreamers, I can't imagine there being an issue.

Seriously, pedal culture is so geeked out right now, the only people who might possibly get these two confused with each other is the Christmas gift buying spouse who doesn't know ANYTHING about pedals.
It's just going to come down to trademark/brand enforcement I think. The argument from JHS will be some form of "we've been promoting this for several weeks and already have orders with details to begin filling on release".

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Seriously, both were basically playing some Joe Walsh to promote the pedal at some point in the videos. I find that hilarious. I also find it compulsory that I now listen to Joe Walsh and the Eagles.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 11-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
on rye

It would be epic if Crayola came in and dropped some crazy legal hammer getting them both to drop the "Crayon" name.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

just what the world needs 2 more overdrives
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
It would be epic if Crayola came in and dropped some crazy legal hammer getting them both to drop the "Crayon" name.
Wouldn't be the first time some company's gone out of their way to do that.

Language Log: Database company to Toyota: Rename that automobile!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_...Apple_Computer
Candy Crush maker King settles trademark disputes with The Banner Saga developer | Polygon

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #10

previews of both pedal popped up on my facebook wall this week, the EHX has an MSRP around $85 and the JHS is almost $200

watched both demo videos this week the EHX sounds better to my ears
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljb17
previews of both pedal popped up on my facebook wall this week, the EHX has an MSRP around $85 and the JHS is almost $200 watched both demo videos this week the EHX sounds better to my ears
The EHX is supposed to hit the market at $63. I have a $50 GC gift card so I'll be picking up the EHX Crayon soon and will hopefully be doing a EHX v JHS shoot out in the very near future.

From what I've read, the two pedals are designed to do very different things. I'm looking forward to hearing the JHS Crayon in person tonight.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I haven't heard any more progress on the situation yet. Makes me wonder if they'll just decide to do nothing. Seems unlikely, but I definitely agree that getting either of these confused with the other is almost definitely not going to happen.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123
I haven't heard any more progress on the situation yet. Makes me wonder if they'll just decide to do nothing. Seems unlikely, but I definitely agree that getting either of these confused with the other is almost definitely not going to happen.
I read something on a forum from Robert Keeley that said that Josh and Mike have spoken on the phone, sorted things out and are both moving forward with the Crayon name on good terms.

I'm a podcaster