Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
\_(ツ)_/

Dual boot with ubuntu and windows

I am considering installing ubuntu on my laptop (having dual boot) but there are a couple of things I need to figure out:

1. How much space would it take up? My harddrive is only 218GB, which means that I have between 40 and 10GB free (depending on how far I am in the semester).

2. Haven't upgraded to Win10 yet. Haven't had the time at all. Should I do this first or the ubuntu thing? Or doesn't it matter?

3. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Unread 10-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Basically... run.

paid
1. Ubuntu's pretty flexible. If you're just going to play, and just want something you can use if Windows breaks, then you don't need much. I generally give it about 20 GB out of my 120GB - and you can still access stuff off the Windows partition anyway (as long as it unmounts). At the moment it has less than 10GB and it still works, but installing new packages and updates gets really tricky.

2. Probably. My experience on my HP laptop was okay when I did it a few weeks ago, but there have been instances where the upgrade has broken GRUB (the bootloader Linux installs) making it difficult to get into either OS afterwards.

3. If you already have data on your drive it can be a bit riskier. Generally the recommended procedure is a fresh install of both (First Windows and then Ubuntu), and changing the partition size when you install Windows. That way, you have the free space unallocated when you install Ubuntu and you can just tell it to install there.

The last few times I've done it on laptops I've been using, I've installed it as an afterthought to Windows, so I didn't have unallocated space, so I had to shrink the partition Windows was using (which you can do either off the live CD or in the Ubuntu setup) - since I don't have overly important stuff on here, and I know how to fix any problems this may cause, I just did it. But it becomes riskier the fuller the drive is (as data may be stored on the last part you're shrinking).

At any rate, Ubuntu is made fairly easy to install alongside with Windows (there's an option for it in the setup, but I'm not sure what settings it actually uses). If you can afford the space, and are used to reinstalling OS's, there's not too much harm in it.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #3
\_(ツ)_/

Hmm... That sounds risky. Is it then better to make a VM?
Unread 10-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #4
Basically... run.

paid
If you only want to stuff around with it, then that's probably the safest thing to do.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote