Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Old School
Administrator

When discussing eunuchs (from the biblical evidence), wouldn't most of them have been slaves/servants who had been castrated against their will so they could perform certain functions (oversee harems, etc...) for those who owned them?

If so, that really doesn't fit the current transgender issue.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
When discussing eunuchs (from the biblical evidence), wouldn't most of them have been slaves/servants who had been castrated against their will so they could perform certain functions (oversee harems, etc...) for those who owned them?

If so, that really doesn't fit the current transgender issue.
But the experience of emasculation certainly changes how you live in society. You won't be building a house and starting a family.

There is also a lot of grey area from the fact that eunuchs were not allowed in the temple, and references to priestesses may actually have been men who dress up/acted as women (e.g., female deities would have temple prostitutes wherein communion with the goddess would be accomplished through union with representative -- there's legitimate question whether all priestesses were female).

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
But the experience of emasculation certainly changes how you live in society. You won't be building a house and starting a family.
True, but that's a far cry from someone who is born one gender and decides that he (or she) is not that gender, regardless of what the physical evidence says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
There is also a lot of grey area from the fact that eunuchs were not allowed in the temple, and references to priestesses may actually have been men who dress up/acted as women (e.g., female deities would have temple prostitutes wherein communion with the goddess would be accomplished through union with representative -- there's legitimate question whether all priestesses were female).
I still think that this is a different issue than someone deciding to reject their gender.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
This is an issue I've discussed regularly and in depth with a couple of my professors. I think it boils down to the same reasons why anyone would choose to live apart from Christ. Transgenderism is unique because it instead of being seen as something that needs to be corrected, it is seen as something that is to be fostered and praised. Transgender people receive high praise for their willingness to come out with their feelings, and honestly I think the validation is good. But when they are encouraged to pursue these feelings and to follow wherever their feelings may lead, well... I see it similar to any other lifestyle someone could choose simply because it feels right. In this regard, I see transgenderism as simply yet another fruit of a deeper issue: mankind's desire to live independently apart from any sort of higher rule.

My transgender friends are no different than I am: we are equally sinful, and equally in need of a savior. To go from transgender (a mental belief) to transsexual (i.e. getting a sex change) is a fairly irreversible process. Of course we as Christians understand this to be unnatural, as God made us the way we are for a reason. But when Christians attack people with transgender feelings and tendencies simply because it makes them uncomfortable, it doesn't make a bit of difference for the Kingdom. If anything, it only reinforces that person's decision to reject the gospel. When we reach a person with the gospel in love, and when we do so in a way that they will be receptive to (which, ironically, takes time and relationship and cannot simply be done from a Sunday morning pulpit) then we find ourselves planting a seed that can grow into something beautiful which will bear spiritual fruit for the kingdom.

The question in my mind isn't what transgenderism is (it's a mental disorder). The question in my mind is this: why does it seem so difficult for Christians to understand it from a Christological perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #20
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Maybe they don't listen to God's heart?
Unread 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chunkster View Post
I honestly don't know and don't understand.

If these are fundamentally mental issues, imbalances between the whole of the body and the particulars of the brain (chemical imbalances, or some such), then why is surgery or hormone therapy the go to?

Has there been much experimentation with fixing transgendered people through fixing or trying to align the brain with the sexual reality of the individual?

If that hasnt been looked into, why not? Is it an impossibility, or is it merely the politics of the body going on here?
You'll recall that at one point I had a transsexual roommate and went to the trans group meetings as a friend, so I'm nowhere near an expert but I've been thinking about it for a decade or so.

It lines up so perfectly with the unfocused postmodern rebellion against the modern. The authority of anything natural is rejected as institutional repression, because the modern justified its own social constructions on the lie that they were natural.

There is no obvious way forward, because any constructive move can again be seen as repressive social norms, so transgenderism is basically a rage against the machine.

And it's reall, really not fun if you're the person going through it. You've felt "weird" for a long time. Nothing at all came easy. And you've had many rough struggles during your formative years. These are not the people who deserve the focus of the blame.

By the way, any 14 yo getting changed medically is the victim of narcissistic parenting. The parents tell themselves a story about who they are on the inside and are vainly attempting to prove to themselves that they are good people by doing this to their child. It's not about the child, it's about them.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
Lieutenant Commander

You all might find this interesting: a post-op transwoman who returned to Catholicism — aoifeschatology | transsexuality & the theology of the body

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote