Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Favorite Holiday Cookies

Yesterday I baked a delicious batch of molasses cookies, and it made it feel about 400% more like fall than it did. I am sure we've had threads like this before, but I'd love to know... what are your favorite holiday cookies, and do you have a recipe to share? What are your family's traditional holiday desserts?

I will try to track down some family favorites. The molasses cookies I made used this recipe, which I had never tried, but I do recommend. I skipped the step where you melt and cool the shortening (because why would you do that) and did not chill the dough, and they turned out amazing.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
ooh i don't currently have recipes, but christmas is a huge baking production in my family. we have a savory pastry that is basically a bread exterior (same bread is used for the traditional lenten fasting meal of bread stuffed with bean paste) and is stuffed with a buttery, slightly salted filling - i think maybe it's called roux in french/english? basically it is butter, salt and flour that is heated until it's fairly liquid, then it gets poured into the dough mound which is closed around it and brushed with egg, then baked til the bread is done and filling is set.

we also have a multilayered cookie-like pastry, which is filled with sugar (my grandma uses less sugar than called for and hers still come out sweet-ish) and if done right the layers flake off. my grandma used to scold me for eating it in flakes instead of just biting through, but whatevs!

my mom makes russian tea cakes every christmas, which are my dad's absolute favorite. she just does them in little round balls, and i think she uses a recipe she found online.

it's also the time of year i experiment with different baked goods. one year i made a failed pumpkin cheesecake, but my mom (who is kind but critical and honest) tried it and said while it wasn't cheesecake, it was really good. of course it was a mistake so i haven't ever replicated it. i've tried martha stewart's raspberry marzipan tart (yes), banana bread and spice bread and pumpkin bread combos (yes yes yes), small gingerbread men in a silicone mold (no - crunchy), thumbprint cookies (yes - one of my specialties), and all sorts of other stuff.

i recently made choco chip cookies 100% from scratch (okay the chocolate chips were premade) and they were amazing if i do say so myself. i think i used the tollhouse recipe online.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Super Mom

paid
Persimmon Cookies!

cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
tsp baking soda

tsp. cinnamon
tsp nutmeg
tsp salt
1 cup persimmon pulp
cup raisins
cup chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with persimmon pulp. Add raisins and nuts.

Blend thoroughly and drop onto greased cookie sheets 2” apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
Unread 10-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom View Post
Persimmon Cookies!

cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
tsp baking soda

tsp. cinnamon
tsp nutmeg
tsp salt
1 cup persimmon pulp
cup raisins
cup chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with persimmon pulp. Add raisins and nuts.

Blend thoroughly and drop onto greased cookie sheets 2” apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
PERSIMMON COOKIES!!! SO GOOD.

Incidentally, I make Inception Cookies occasionally. For the holidays, they are minty!
Unread 10-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

Shortbread...