Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

strings dont last long enough

Hi
I have an acoustic Seagull 6. I was recording some stuff and I wanted the best possible sound. and I noticed that the strings were losing their nice bright sound pretty quick, like after a few hours of playing. I even bought some strings that promised to last long, still they went dull (ish) quickly. Is that normal? Do recording people change their strings every few hours?

onenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

That doesn't sound normal. But I don't know anything about acoustic guitars, so take that with a grain of salt. My electric strings keep that sound for a few days at least, as long as I wipe them down after every use and use a conditioner before playing. I didn't used to do this and my strings wore out pretty quickly. Now they last me a long time.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Deets Go Here

How old are the strings? Could they have been exposed to moisture for a while before you put them on your guitar?

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #4

thanks Ax, what do you use to wipe the strings? is isopropyl alcohol ok?
Unread 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

thanks bravesfan, strings were new. no moisture, I live in alberta, it's very dry here. they were new different brands, brand names. how long do they keep the "sparkle" in your case?
Unread 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I use GHS Fast Fret and/or the Dunlop product. I prefer fastfret but somebody gave me a dunlop kit so I've been using it and I do like it.

But for wiping down after playing, I just use a dry cloth, the idea is to remove finger grease and sweat.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 09-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

I don't personally like Elixir strings on my 6 string guitars (but I do like them for my bass) but they seem to sound the same from the time you put them on, until the time you change them.

I've also had good results with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings.

I use Tone Ease spray to wipe down my strings.

Good luck.
Unread 10-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #8

Dean Markley Vintage Bronze, I wipe them down with a dry cloth when I'm done, They seem to last awhile but I don't play my acoustic much,
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
I use GHS Fast Fret and/or the Dunlop product. I prefer fastfret but somebody gave me a dunlop kit so I've been using it and I do like it.

But for wiping down after playing, I just use a dry cloth, the idea is to remove finger grease and sweat.
This. IPA seems like an overkill for cleaning. You don't need to disinfect your strings, you just want to get the grease off.

Also, I threw on a set of Gear Supply Co strings a couple months ago. My acoustic only gets played on Sundays, but I've put 20+ hours on the strings without any noted tone loss.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Another thing! Humidity is a pretty well known factor in this, but being too dry can be just as bad if not worse for your guitar and strings. Don't ever put anything like a silica gel packet in your case. You want humidity control, not a dehumidifier.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Semper ubi sub ubi!

You might try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-String-Cle.../dp/B001FSZR4U

I've been using them for several years and it seems to just about double the life I get out of strings.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

I'm pretty strictly an acoustic player. Pretty much every set of strings I've ever put on has "shimmered" when first strung. After about an hour or two of playing, the shimmer goes away. If you like that shimmer sound, you will be disappointed that it goes away so fast. I personally like it when the sound mellows. In fact, I leave strings on for a very long time because I like the dull sound.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I'm pretty strictly an acoustic player. Pretty much every set of strings I've ever put on has "shimmered" when first strung. After about an hour or two of playing, the shimmer goes away. If you like that shimmer sound, you will be disappointed that it goes away so fast. I personally like it when the sound mellows. In fact, I leave strings on for a very long time because I like the dull sound.
ok, that's good to hear. so Im not the only one for whom the "shimmer" dissapears.
thanks all of you.
Unread 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
Unsubscribed

paid
I've been using Elixer Nanowebs on my Seagull CW Maple HG, and they tend to sound good for a few months before I notice the tone dulling to the point that I'd want to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
I've been using Elixer Nanowebs on my Seagull CW Maple HG, and they tend to sound good for a few months before I notice the tone dulling to the point that I'd want to change them.
+1!
bbatters is offline   Reply With Quote