Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
need some quick feedback on formatting

i'm editing a manuscript for a friend (due tomorrow), and i am having some trouble deciding on the formatting for dates. he's a seminary grad, and i am a current seminarian, but he earned an mdiv and i am an historian, so i can't tell if the formatting differences have to do with theological conventions, or something else. *edited to say i've already struck out on google. it isn't much help.

here's a small sample of what i am stuck on:

Theodore of Mopsuestia (circa A.D. 350-428), Jacob of Serugh (circa A.D. 451-521), Isaac of Antioch (circa A.D. 451-452)

OR

Theodore of Mopsuestia (circa 350-428 AD), Jacob of Serugh (circa 451-521 AD), Isaac of Antioch (circa 451-452 AD)

1. does AD require periods?
2. does AD/A.D. come before or after the numeric dates?

the former is his version, the latter is mine. i just want to make sure i'm not screwing up some theological convention before i go any further.

thanks kids!

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!

Last edited by beanbag; 09-09-2015 at 03:48 PM.
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Someone else will have to weigh in for the quirks of the theological convention, but for the sake of readability, I prefer your version.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
thanks =) if there aren't any "NO DON'T CHANGE THAT IT WILL RUIN THEOLOGY!" comments, then i will also be updating my version to "c. XXX AD"

the struggles of a perfectionist.

let me entertain you!
Unread 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I would assume this would be covered in either whatever format he was advised to write his paper in, or in professor's syllabus....

He should have sent you those materials, and informed you as to whether he was using the latest addition of Turabian, or something different.

Edit: with that said, i agree with mtlmouth

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.

Last edited by Uptown Thrunk; 09-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #5
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
thanks taylor. it isn't an academic paper, it's the manuscript for an independent book.

i will make my changes. =)

let me entertain you!
Unread 09-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
thanks taylor. it isn't an academic paper, it's the manuscript for an independent book.

i will make my changes. =)
Ah!

Is he writing an academic book? Like, for an academic press?

What's the book on (now I'm super curious!)?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Be happy

From Wikipedia...

"Traditionally, English followed Latin usage by placing the "AD" abbreviation before the year number.[13] However, BC is placed after the year number (for example: AD 2015, but 68 BC), which also preserves syntactic order. The abbreviation is also widely used after the number of a century or millennium, as in "fourth century AD" or "second millennium AD" (although conservative usage formerly rejected such expressions)."

And for comparison:

"The abbreviation BCE, just as with BC, always follows the year number. Unlike AD, which traditionally precedes the year number, CE always follows the year number (if context requires that it be written at all).[80] Thus, the current year is written as 2015 in both notations (or, if further clarity is needed, as 2015 CE, or as AD 2015), and the year that Socrates died is represented as 399 BCE (the same year that is represented by 399 BC in the BC/AD notation)."

So I think either way is fine. I would leave off the periods though.
Unread 09-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
Tired of being attacked

In my mind it it helpful to remember what they stand for. Expanding them helps me remember as it is how it comes more naturally to say it, at least in my mind.

In the year of our lord 425 (AD 425)

86 Before Christ. (86 BC)

No periods is what most conventions use. I have seen deviating standards though.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
thanks you guys! because of my educational background (even attending a bible college) i have used CE and BCE almost exclusively for the last 10 years, so i was trying to remember the old conventions from texts i have read and stuff.

taylor - the book is about the intersection of ethnicity and faith, and how one should inform the other. i think it basically serves two functions - one is to explain to others who we are as a culture and people group, and the other is a call to action for our own people for preserving and maintaining our culture and ethnicity in a way that is biblical. i'll post a link when he publishes (we're getting down to the wire - his planned release date is next week) but essentially, he talks about the function of racial/ethnic purity for the jews in the bible, and why that is not a universal model for ethnic preservation, but instead served a very specific purpose for a very specific people.

i'm curious to hear what people think of it, and i am most curious to hear how it is received by our own community.

let me entertain you!