Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Video Camera & Software Suggestions

I want to start recording my sermons on Sunday morning. I am working with a limited budget and was wondering what kinds of cameras and software you all might suggest.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Bump
Unread 09-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

I know we got my dad Magix Movie Edit Pro and he likes it...

I haven't used it much myself. We use Premeire at church if we ever edit stuff, we got it through TechSoup...but my brother says that's not available anymore.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
is still learning...

I'm in a similar situation at our church. We used to have a very simple flip camera just for recording the sermon. It's no longer an option and need to explore other possibilities. It would be nice to input the sound from the mixer board rather than on camera mic.

We are also not able to spend much on this item, but I'm interested in hearing what you all are using.
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Depending on what your church can budget, a Creative Cloud subscription runs about $50/month and would come with things like Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, etc. It's what I use for my own work. You'd have to wiggle it a bit, get an individual within the church to own the subscription, otherwise the church itself would need a business subscription, which would cost much more.

Audacity is a decent free software option to record the audio off the board, and supports VST plugins for mastering the audio quickly enough. As far as video goes, though, there are no decent and reliable free options that I have found.

You could look around on ebay for an old version of Premiere, maybe CS4, for your video editing. It would be a bit spendy as a one-time expense, but would be cheaper in the long run than a Creative Cloud subscription. The advantage of Creative Cloud, however, is that you are constantly getting the latest versions and updates.

One feature you want to look for in a video editor is time stretching so that, in editing, you can make sure the audio and video are running at the same speed all the way through (particularly useful if you're recording your audio and video separately, and mixing them in later).

My suggestion: A regular camcorder or a GoPro (you can find one for $300 or less if you look around) will be good for video, particularly if the camera is just sitting still. Using a laptop to record your voice into audacity via an an aux cable from the soundboard is a free option for audio. I can do some videos post-semester about basic editing using free plugins in Audacity to bring out the best sound in your voice so that it will be clear and easily understandable for your listeners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...

Last edited by Ben Toast; 12-09-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
is still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Depending on what your church can budget, a Creative Cloud subscription runs about $50/month and would come with things like Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, etc. It's what I use for my own work. You'd have to wiggle it a bit, get an individual within the church to own the subscription, otherwise the church itself would need a business subscription, which would cost much more.

Audacity is a decent free software option to record the audio off the board, and supports VST plugins for mastering the audio quickly enough. As far as video goes, though, there are no decent and reliable free options that I have found.

You could look around on ebay for an old version of Premiere, maybe CS4, for your video editing. It would be a bit spendy as a one-time expense, but would be cheaper in the long run than a Creative Cloud subscription. The advantage of Creative Cloud, however, is that you are constantly getting the latest versions and updates.

One feature you want to look for in a video editor is time stretching so that, in editing, you can make sure the audio and video are running at the same speed all the way through (particularly useful if you're recording your audio and video separately, and mixing them in later).

My suggestion: A regular camcorder or a GoPro (you can find one for $300 or less if you look around) will be good for video, particularly if the camera is just sitting still. Using a laptop to record your voice into audacity via an an aux cable from the soundboard is a free option for audio. I can do some videos post-semester about basic editing using free plugins in Audacity to bring out the best sound in your voice so that it will be clear and easily understandable for your listeners.
Thanks for the feedback. Previously I had used a very simple flip camera (about $50) and it was set up on a mini tripod near the sound booth. We recorded just the sermon, and I used Windows Moviemaker to ready it for upload to YouTube. There were some complaints about sound, as any distractions between the speakers and the camera were recorded as well. Once that camera bit the dust I was put in charge of exploring options, without much of a budget to work with. The previous recording was done without ANY expense to the church, so many times they want that same option going forward...not always an option

I was thinking about looking at local pawn shops for perhaps a dslr, but would really prefer to record audio and video simultaneously to avoid much work later matching/syncing them. Thanks again for your input.
Unread 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Do you have a mic running through a sound system? $50 USB interface into a laptop would be the cheapest, easiest, and cleanest way to record the audio. An iPhone could record the video. I think most basic video editing software can sync audio from an outside source.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Do you have a mic running through a sound system? $50 USB interface into a laptop would be the cheapest, easiest, and cleanest way to record the audio. An iPhone could record the video. I think most basic video editing software can sync audio from an outside source.
I'm still just recording audio right now. I actually sit my iPhone on the pulpit and record using the voice memo function.

We can record through the sound system but our stuff is old and would take immense effort to set up correctly and update the old stuff.
Unread 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post

We can record through the sound system but our stuff is old and would take immense effort to set up correctly and update the old stuff.

A box like this could easily work around this. Just run the mic through this and run one side out to the board, with the other out to an interface like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
is still learning...

While I'm not the original poster, these discussions have opened my eyes to things that might work for our church. I've had the "tech" duties fall in my lap, and I'm woefully unprepared. So glad CGR has such awesome folks willing to take the time to offer suggestions and help! Maybe someday I can be of assistance to someone else.