Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Vox AC4 Loud Enough?

Hi everyone. I play at Church that currently is meeting in a firehall, Room capacity is about 100 to 150. Right now I'm playing a Vox VT15 but I'd like to get something tube. I play mostly clean tones. The group consists of 1 acoustic guitar, 2 electric gutars (including me) a bass and a banjo. No drums to be heard over. Would the Vox AC4 be loud enough to play clean and be heard? I don't mind a little break up. Right now I'm using the AC30TB setting on the VT15 and like the sound but a full blown tube AC15 isn't in the budget. Besides playing at church, my only other playing is in my basement. Any thoughts?

Last edited by dbarila; 09-02-2015 at 06:52 AM.
dbarila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarila
Hi everyone. I play at Church that currently is meeting in a firehall, Room capacity is about 100 to 150. Right now I'm playing a Vox VT15 but I'd like to get something tube. I play mostly clean tones. The group consists of 1 acoustic guitar, 2 electric gutars (including me) a bass and a banjo. No drums to be heard over. Would the Vox AC4 be loud enough to play clean and be heard? I don't mind a little break up. Right now I'm using the AC15TB setting on the VT15 and like the sound but a full blown tube AC15 isn't in the budget. Besides playing at church, my only other playing is in my basement. Any thoughts?
I feel like the AC4 might handle that. Any chance of throwing a microphone on it?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Not at the present time. We are just in a temporary venue while a new church is being built. So i'm not sure what the next venue will be like. The VT15 is getting the job done volume wise with a little room to spare. I just thought a tube amp would be nice and people seem satisfied with the AC4. I was considering the AC15VR before I discovered the AC4. But the AC4 is all tube and more portable.
Unread 08-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

I also play a mandolin that's not plugged in which can be heard. So that gives you an idea of the volume I'm talking about.
Unread 08-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
I also play a mandolin that's not plugged in which can be heard. So that gives you an idea of the volume I'm talking about.
ah. The ac4 should be plenty loud for you then.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Thanks. Now i just need to figure out which AC4. I'm looking at the AC4C1-BL and the AC4C1-12. Does anyone have any experience with these? What would be the advantage of the 12" speaker? I like the looks of the 12 but there seems to be a lot less available on the used market.
Unread 09-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks. Now i just need to figure out which AC4. I'm looking at the AC4C1-BL and the AC4C1-12. Does anyone have any experience with these? What would be the advantage of the 12" speaker? I like the looks of the 12 but there seems to be a lot less available on the used market.
A lot of guys prefer the 12" for it being a little less mid-focused and a little closer tonally to the ac15

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #8

If you play mostly clean would a small tube amp like the AC4 have enough head room? To get the volume you needed wouldn't you start lose some clarity and start to get some distortion?
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
If you play mostly clean would a small tube amp like the AC4 have enough head room? To get the volume you needed wouldn't you start lose some clarity and start to get some distortion?
I suppose that is my question to those who have played it. I haven't had a chance to play one in person yet. Right now I guess I'm not really playing 100% clean. I'm playing on the Vox VT15 on the AC30TB model with the gain turned to about 11 o'clock. So there is a little bit of crunch to it. Also, the models I'm interested in have the separate volume and gain knobs. So I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Last edited by dbarila; 09-02-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Unread 09-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Your Ad Here

If the AC4 has a line-out then you could use it to get The Tone and boost it volume-wise with the other amp... plus you could put them apart from each other and get a spread of sound...that's if you don't mind lugging 2 amps around...
Unread 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

I'll have to find a shop that sells Vox amps and check one out. The other guitar player plays a Fender DRRI and I don't even think he has the volume at 2. So there's not a whole lot of volume to compete with.
Unread 09-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #12

Vox Night train combo at GC are $399. A new AC4 is like $350. I seldom play electric but for that price I had to get one.

As for volume, my Epi Valve Jr. Combo with 8" has been plenty loud in similar halls.
Unread 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
Vox Night train combo at GC are $399. A new AC4 is like $350. I seldom play electric but for that price I had to get one.

As for volume, my Epi Valve Jr. Combo with 8" has been plenty loud in similar halls.
I've never really looked into the Night Trains before. Do they sound good for playing at home at lower volumes?
Unread 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Deets Go Here

I like my first generation Night Train head.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #15

I just played Sunday night at a church that seats about 75 and was able to get a nice clean tone with the bright channel and also a quiet enough distortion tone with the girth channel using my Tele. Very versatile with plenty of headroom.

As for playing at home, I usually punch it to max volume at home since I seldom get to crank it at churches but I have gotten really nice quieter tones playing late at night.