Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
Red Handed Riff Raff

Fishman Fluence

Anyone heard of/played with these new pickups from Fishman? The Fluence series basically appear to be a much more versatile take on EMG's classic active platform. Aside from all of the crazy built-in options (dual voicing, split-capable and more) the "printed" coils look intriguing.

I was primarily an active player until a few years ago when I developed tinnitus (oddly enough the best thing that ever happened to my tone) when I really started experimenting with various passives. Switched back to actives recently but missing the fun of all that you can do with passives, looking forward to trying these out to see if they've finally "bridged the gap".

Noisy Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Fluence is doing a lot of different things.

One of the big gaps they're trying to bridge is human error. While EMGs are lower output pickups tied to an active preamp, at their core they're not hugely different from any other pickup (at least not from what I remember). The Fluence on the other hand is using a printer coil. It's literally a bunch of PCBs layered on top of each other to form the coil. In theory this means the tolerance from pickup to pickup is much lower.

Frank Falbo, one of the (if not the lead designer) on the Fluence has been on two or three episodes of Wampler's Chasing Tone podcast/YouTube series. I would definitely take some time to listen to those episodes to see what he has to say about the pickups.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #3

Haven't tried a set yet, heard about them through a YouTube video review by Ryan "Fluff" Bruce

I have been considering a set for my 7 string which currently has Seymour Duncan Blackouts in it. I like the recharge option that really appeals to me, Un-doing screws and pulling the back plate on my EMG loaded LP to change the battery is getting old
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Red Handed Riff Raff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Fluence is doing a lot of different things.

One of the big gaps they're trying to bridge is human error. While EMGs are lower output pickups tied to an active preamp, at their core they're not hugely different from any other pickup (at least not from what I remember). The Fluence on the other hand is using a printer coil. It's literally a bunch of PCBs layered on top of each other to form the coil. In theory this means the tolerance from pickup to pickup is much lower.

Frank Falbo, one of the (if not the lead designer) on the Fluence has been on two or three episodes of Wampler's Chasing Tone podcast/YouTube series. I would definitely take some time to listen to those episodes to see what he has to say about the pickups.
Thanks for mentioning Wampler's videos, some fun stuff there. I already knew about the construction I've worked in multi-layer PCB manufacturing so it makes perfect sense. Seems like these will be hard to gauge by anything short of actually playing with/through them (as with all pickups really, but these do seem rather unique).
Unread 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Red Handed Riff Raff

I managed to pick up a set of the "Fluence Classic" pickups to try in my Les Paul and I've got to say I'm impressed. They're not astoundingly different to other pickups I've liked, but rather they've got many things I like and pretty much nothing I don't.

Haven't wired up a switch or push-pull yet but I did try out both "voices" and they were both quite nice and immensely usable, even on the neck pickup. I'd say they have a great balance between "clarity" and "character", if that makes any sense. Going to try out the Modern set in my 7 and 8 next with the intent of using both the voice switching and coil splitting/tapping functions, looking forward to it.