Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #196

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Why would it?
A populous uprising against the political elites? I think that's what I read someone write.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #197
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Why would it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
A populous uprising against the political elites? I think that's what I read someone write.
Essentially.

From reading some of the news leading up to the referendum vote it seemed as if the media and politicians were banking on the idea of the Brexit being popular but ultimately a no-go. A lot of times I think the media and politicians live too much inside an echo chamber and are not empathetic to those constituencies that really don't have much left to lose.

According to most the media I've been following on the US election (and most politicians), Trump is an unthinkable candidate and a disaster and Clinton, though unlikable by pretty much every breathing organism on the planet is inevitably the next POTUS. However, there are a lot of very angry people here that are so disenfranchised that they'd love to see the whole establishment burnt to the ground and if Trump brings that about, then that's who they'll vote for.

If Clinton doesn't change her rhetoric from "at least I'm not Trump" to something actually tangible for the average American voter then we might see a President Trump.

Than's my thought process on it all. Take it or leave it.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #198
is still learning...

There are many that feel that the average Joe working for a living has been ignored through trade deals like NAFTA, and the proposed TPP. They too would like to tear up those agreements and start anew, much like the sentiment that lead many in Great Britain to vote to leave the EU.

Trade deals have worked out wonderfully for Wall Street, and American companies that have been able to export jobs to take advantage of low wages, while greatly increasing profit margins. Many displaced American workers (I am one of those) feel they have no voice in the process, and I can see many willing to play politics as their way to "revolt" against the system that seems rigged against them.

Personally I will not vote for Trump. My vote must be earned, and he (nor Clinton) have earned my vote.
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #199
Deets Go Here

I know a lot of folks who are in the "burn it to the ground" mindset. They're also voting for the Libertarians.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #200
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
So, Hillary was not indicted on criminal charges. But, Comey had some rather strong words in his address.

This isn't the worst of all possible worlds for her, but I imagine that anyone the fence about her credibility would probably be tipped toward the negative.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...an-we-thought/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #201
assistant regional mgr.

part of me wonders if some sinister diabolical kingpin character is orchestrating both sides of all this. Hillary is incredibly shady on so many levels. it seems almost inconceivable that Trump would come along at this exact time in political history, and provide quite possibly the only person in history more controversial and shady than Hillary, thus enabling her rise to the presidency. it seems her entire platform is "I'm not Trump" and sadly, it's enough to put her ahead in the polls. it has all the makings of a great conspiracy novel. any average politician with even a slightly decent bone in their body would have a better chance at looking better next to these diabolical clowns.

/off the soapbox

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #202
dept. of redundancy dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
and provide quite possibly the only person in history more controversial and shady than Hillary
Hyperbole much?
rock_show_host is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #203
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_show_host View Post
Hyperbole much?
Well, to be fair, he noted he was on his soapbox. And soapboxes are notorious for hyperbolic proclamations.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 05:19 AM   #204
assistant regional mgr.

I majored in hyperbole.

/hyperbole

Unread 07-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #205
dept. of redundancy dept.

Quote:
I majored in hyperbole.

/hyperbole
I hear that's literally the hardest major.

And re: Clinton, the exaggerations wouldn't bother me if so many people didn't honestly believe them.
rock_show_host is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #206
assistant regional mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_show_host View Post
I hear that's literally the hardest major.

And re: Clinton, the exaggerations wouldn't bother me if so many people didn't honestly believe them.
I did a poor job elaborating, so I thank you, Rock_Show_Host for encouraging me to be more eloquent and less soap-boxish.

I find it incredibly odd that we have two front runners that have so much controversy surrounding them both. that, ignoring the question of if either candidate is actually shady or corrupt. typically, one side sees their candidate as squeaky clean and the victim of a vast ___-wing conspiracy, and the other party candidate as evil, through and through.

this leads me to ponder if the rise of Trump was orchestrated to make the controversies surrounding Hillary seems like not such a big deal. Trump also seems to have a lot of controversy around him. any typical "clean" candidate without such controversy would seem like a saint by comparison (without the controversy baggage that Hill has).

I hope that makes more sense. it's certainly less hyperbole and soap box.

I've revealed my own bias that I see them both as being incredibly shady, and I'll leave that at the soap box. I don't recall in living memory such a playground-grade election cycle. but perhaps I just forget the election year drama each time around.

Unread 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #207
is still learning...

Quote:
I did a poor job elaborating, so I thank you, Rock_Show_Host for encouraging me to be more eloquent and less soap-boxish.

I find it incredibly odd that we have two front runners that have so much controversy surrounding them both. that, ignoring the question of if either candidate is actually shady or corrupt. typically, one side sees their candidate as squeaky clean and the victim of a vast ___-wing conspiracy, and the other party candidate as evil, through and through.

this leads me to ponder if the rise of Trump was orchestrated to make the controversies surrounding Hillary seems like not such a big deal. Trump also seems to have a lot of controversy around him. any typical "clean" candidate without such controversy would seem like a saint by comparison (without the controversy baggage that Hill has).

I hope that makes more sense. it's certainly less hyperbole and soap box.

I've revealed my own bias that I see them both as being incredibly shady, and I'll leave that at the soap box. I don't recall in living memory such a playground-grade election cycle. but perhaps I just forget the election year drama each time around.
This reminds me of something that happened quite a long time ago. President Clinton was visiting our fair city and right next door to where I worked. So at break time many employees went outside hoping to catch a glimpse of the President arriving. One guy in the crowd was a staunch Republican, but still was there to witness the pagentry I suppose. Someone made a statement to him that resonated a bit with me later. He said, "You only hate Bill Clinton because he's a better Republican than anyone in the GOP today." Later it made some sense. He did sign NAFTA, (which essentially closed that very factory we were all working at the time) which was a big win for big business, was quite moderate on social issues, his crime bill pushed through incarcerated quite a few people with fairly long sentences for non-violent drug crimes, the welfare "reform" would be considered a GOP-type platform idea.

So here we are so many years later, new media wondering if the GOP has imploded or will it even continue to exist, and there is a sense that somehow it's all been some grand manipulation to give the false sense of "choice". Perhaps there really is only one party, and the players are pawns just marched out to play a part in some elaborate charade so the voters think they have a say in the matter. Sanders rocked that boat a bit, but with over 400 superdelagates already pledged to Hillary before there was even a field in the Democratic party...it makes me wonder if I actually agree a bit with Trump when he says "It's rigged. The system is rigged."
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #208
Laborer/Philosopher

Proposition: foreign policy will prove to be the most important question of the next eight years, but we are too distracted by anything but.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2016, 12:30 AM   #209
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysostom View Post
Proposition: foreign policy will prove to be the most important question of the next eight years, but we are too distracted by anything but.
With the onslaught of our drone wars and the rise of global backlash against our current form of globalization, I think you are spot on. Alas, I don't think the average American voter wants to consider the long term (or even kind of long kind of short term) ramifications of our modern history in foreign affairs and the current rhetoric of foreign policy by our two equally ______ front running candidates.

I am probably neglecting many other aspects of our foreign policy, but these are two of the most poignant issues in foreign relations to me. I think we're in uncharted territory with many things we are doing globally (I'm speaking as an American, btw), and we won't know many of the bad things we've caused (or potentially good ones, though I'm doubtful) until further down the road.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #210
assistant regional mgr.

Bernie endorsed Hillary. Game changer, or no duh moment?

Trump is now beating, or tied with her in three key battleground states, since the email reports came out. Also, the pep rallies are upon us. Anyone going to watch them for the coming drama? BLM is reportedly going to cause some trouble for Hill.