Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Last minute changes, etc.

Just wondering how others deal with last minute changes in worship, of any sort.
just thinking about it because of the last two weeks.

both turned out okay and they went well, but we have some back up.

this is probably easier to deal with in a larger congregation with more musicians & leaders.

Last week our back up leader was supposed to lead as the regular leader was on vacation.
Then Sunday morning he had a family emergency, so he wasn't able to get there. And it was last minute.

Fortunately another musician that day was able to take over--it sounded a little different than we are used to, but we still were able to worship. And it did go well.
I wasn't playing last week, so I wasn't directly involved, except as a worshiper.

Then this week the regular worship leader was supposed to be back and the back up was on vacation.
The regular leader had a family emergency and left town suddenly--but he emailed the church leaders to advise and a back up plan was in place--but some of it fell through the cracks.

I was playing, and found out the songs Saturday night, but not the keys.
I took my music in several keys--but of the 6 songs I only had 1 in the correct key.
I was able transpose 4 of 5 before the service and one I transposed in my head (that was a simple one though)
but you know what?
We still worshiped and it went well again.
We kept a good attitude, and used the people we have.

It may have been easier if we had a large congregation, or trickier if we were smaller.
We're not a large congregation, but not the tiniest either.

So it just made me think about asking here what others do and what you've encountered.

And prayer helps a lot as well.

Unread 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

I think the unexpected is often the norm. It's nice to have guys who can just jump in and take over. My old church the pastor often stepped in and played bass with excellence, even with no notice. We also had several sundays with no drummer on short notice. We would sometimes pull out the kick drum and use it mumford style, or the WL would play drums. Some of our funnest times were dealing with challenging situations. I think as long as your team is sincerely worshipping without an agenda that conveys. People can feel the reality of someone who is pouring out their heart to God.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula View Post
I think the unexpected is often the norm.
True--it's happened other times.
Like the time when the community centre we sued to rent was locked and the person who was supposed to open it wasn't there, so we worshiped in a courtyard outside--people took benches out of minivans or had lawnchairs in their cars, and there were some benches as well.
Our pastor at the time played an acoustic guitar and we all sang.

Another time we showed up & saw firetrucks.
they were checking on a leak, and we had to wait outside until they were done.
We got in, but it was a rushed set up--so we simplified the worship team that day.

I wasn't scheduled to play either week though.

Good thing the weather was co-operative on both occasions...