Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
The Overheader

So, on Wikipedia, it says that there's gonna be a new Android OS called "M". Which, i have no idea why they could've named it "Mousse" or "Macaroon" (just kidding). Anyway, it doesn't say when it's out. So, i think it's in development or something.

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Legos that fly and do cool stuff (What I Do on YT )
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus View Post
So, on Wikipedia, it says that there's gonna be a new Android OS called "M". Which, i have no idea why they could've named it "Mousse" or "Macaroon" (just kidding). Anyway, it doesn't say when it's out. So, i think it's in development or something.
Lollipop was called "L" until it was released. They keep the name secret until release.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #18
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
Lollipop was called "L" until it was released. They keep the name secret until release.
Oh, well that's something. Most of their OSs represent "sweets or desserts" . Well, I guess we'll just have to wait(of course).

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 07-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
No, they keep the names secret until data miners or overzealous employees leak them...

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
The Overheader

Well now i hear that Android phones can be hacked. This is kinda concerning. But, i think it's for anyone who doesn't use a PIN or a password for their Android phone. But, it's kinda interesting how phones can be hacked these days.

I also still don't get the point in getting Windows on your tablet. I mean, it's great on a computer, but i'm not sure about that with a tablet. It's kinda weird, to me.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Well now i hear that Android phones can be hacked. This is kinda concerning. But, i think it's for anyone who doesn't use a PIN or a password for their Android phone. But, it's kinda interesting how phones can be hacked these days.
There's many different ways to get into an OS and bypass the password. Anything can be hacked. iOS has security flaws, Android has security flaws, Windows has security flaws.

Quote:
I also still don't get the point in getting Windows on your tablet. I mean, it's great on a computer, but i'm not sure about that with a tablet. It's kinda weird, to me.
There are many reasons. For my own experience, my amp lets me adjust settings from Windows. I have a cheap Windows 7 tablet that makes this relatively convenient as I only need to sit that on the amp. The amp barely has enough room and stability for my laptop, and I can just throw the tablet into the cavity while I'm transporting it. There's more practical solutions, like portable POS systems and an to use system while out and about (I can think of a few people who like to use Windows software out on the farm).

You have to remember that Windows tablets existed long before Android and iOS.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
There's many different ways to get into an OS and bypass the password. Anything can be hacked. iOS has security flaws, Android has security flaws, Windows has security flaws.
That's true. You can protect your device, but it might sometimes not work. I guess it all depends on how you use it or what's trying to hack into your phone. If you have some sort of "notify me when hacking" thing, then that might work.

Quote:
There are many reasons. For my own experience, my amp lets me adjust settings from Windows. I have a cheap Windows 7 tablet that makes this relatively convenient as I only need to sit that on the amp. The amp barely has enough room and stability for my laptop, and I can just throw the tablet into the cavity while I'm transporting it. There's more practical solutions, like portable POS systems and an to use system while out and about (I can think of a few people who like to use Windows software out on the farm).

You have to remember that Windows tablets existed long before Android and iOS.
Hmm, interesting. I think it's better to have a Windows tablet for multi use or if you own a business. Or if you just want to carry a light tablet and have a Windows OS with it.

That's very true. That goes back to about the HP PocketPC and those Windows XP tablets. But, there was this one device by Apple called the Newton that was before the PocketPC and the Windows tablet. But, i could be wrong. I'm not sure.

Well, I guess the best you can go with tablets for gaming and such are iOS and Android.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
The Overheader

It's been a while, but I got to try out Android Lollipop. Which, now I have a tablet with Android Lollipop.

It's nice. Not too slow, not too buggy. Yeah, kinda different than Android 4.4 or 4.1. Button are WAY different.

Anyway, it looks like the new Android OS is "Marshmallow". Which, that's technically Android "M". It looks kinda similar to Android 5.0, but I'm not too sure. It isn't out yet anyway.

So, most of the Android OSs have one thing in common(between Android Ice Cream Sandwich & Android Lollipop), they have a back button and multi task button(and a home start button, of course). Yeah, kinda interesting if you think of it.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 08-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #24
got me a beard

M is in developer preview, it won't hit the market for a whiiiiile. L is hardly a year old yet, and is still working on gaining widespread adoption. Also, M (AFAIK) isn't a full update, it will be 5.2 or something, instead of 6.0. I'm looking forward to it, but am content with L for now.

I would love to go full android, but as I like to do development for android, I still need a laptop to run Android Studio. As soon as I can do dev work from an android tablet, I'll ditch Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper359 View Post
I like peanut butter, and I like jam, so what's to stop me from putting them together? People do it all the time.
SomeCallMeTim? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #25
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim? View Post
M is in developer preview, it won't hit the market for a whiiiiile. L is hardly a year old yet, and is still working on gaining widespread adoption. Also, M (AFAIK) isn't a full update, it will be 5.2 or something, instead of 6.0. I'm looking forward to it, but am content with L for now.

I would love to go full android, but as I like to do development for android, I still need a laptop to run Android Studio. As soon as I can do dev work from an android tablet, I'll ditch Windows.
It's going to be 6.0 and it should come out Septemberish! Probably towards the end.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #26
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
It's been a while, but I got to try out Android Lollipop. Which, now I have a tablet with Android Lollipop.

It's nice. Not too slow, not too buggy. Yeah, kinda different than Android 4.4 or 4.1. Button are WAY different.
They changed the design in 5.0. It runs generally well on a lot of hardware, too.

Quote:
Anyway, it looks like the new Android OS is "Marshmallow". Which, that's technically Android "M". It looks kinda similar to Android 5.0, but I'm not too sure. It isn't out yet anyway.
In terms of design, it looks very similar (at the moment). They've added a few features here and there to make it nicer than Lollipop, including a lot of new internal stuff to make it more efficient.

Quote:
So, most of the Android OSs have one thing in common(between Android Ice Cream Sandwich & Android Lollipop), they have a back button and multi task button(and a home start button, of course). Yeah, kinda interesting if you think of it.
Well yeah... you can't change your system too radically or people won't know how to use it. And having them there a convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim? View Post
It's going to be 6.0. The latest build has the version number internally too.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 08-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #27
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Fun fact, my phone keeps bugging me to upgrade to lollipop but I don't feel like deleting most of my apps to clear room for the download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #28
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Fun fact, my phone keeps bugging me to upgrade to lollipop but I don't feel like deleting most of my apps to clear room for the download.
You're hardly any fun.

Unread 08-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
It's a worthwhile update, for sure.
Unread 08-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #30
\_(ツ)_/

Feels a bit too soon for 6.0 considering how few have 5.0 or above at the moment...

I heard a while ago about some feature that allows you to pick the permissions you give to a specific app. Sounded promising. Heard anything about that?