Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Telecasters

Alright guys, I've been looking at teles lately in the $500 range. I have come down to 2 of them that I REALLY like; the Mexican made standard and the new Thinline Modern Player with the P90s. I'm playing mostly contemporary lead stuff now, so which would you guys suggest?

Blainewright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainewright4
Alright guys, I've been looking at teles lately in the $500 range. I have come down to 2 of them that I REALLY like; the Mexican made standard and the new Thinline Modern Player with the P90s. I'm playing mostly contemporary lead stuff now, so which would you guys suggest?
I would definitely play test the MP before you commit. I like the layout, but I've seen a lot of complaints about them feeling cheap.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I would definitely play test the MP before you commit. I like the layout, but I've seen a lot of complaints about them feeling cheap.
IMO those will probably sound quite different. I have not ever played a MP, but spec wise it sounds like I would gravitate more towards it because I am a p90 fan. But then again, I build my own teles.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
IMO those will probably sound quite different. I have not ever played a MP, but spec wise it sounds like I would gravitate more towards it because I am a p90 fan. But then again, I build my own teles.
Yeah. The dual p90 thinline idea sounds awesome on paper.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Yeah. The dual p90 thinline idea sounds awesome on paper.
I would think it would sound somewhat similar to my Lollar BS/CC thinline tele, which sounds awesome. I am kind of surprised I do not have a dual p90 thinline.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #6

You can pick up a used American standard for another couple hundred if you look around. I would lean toward a thinline, or something else. the modern player can be had used for a few hundred if you look around though. they're all over ebay for 400 new.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Ax
Rabid Wombat

The Modern Player guitars wont get you a "classic" telecaster. They're intentionally different. I've loved every Modern Player guitar I've held so far, however, especially my Marauder. I would say the fretwork on it is the best fretwork I've ever seen from a production guitar. The neck is solid, but the hardware is cheap. I'd be changing the bridge and saddles almost immediately. My tuners are holding up so far, I actually really really like them. If they ever fail like my trem did, I will be replacing them with the real tuners that they're mocking (slotted vintage Klusons).

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
Ba da ba ba ba

I REALLY liked the Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline. Great value for the price...great tones, great feel, great look. You may be able to find a used one in that range. Great guitar.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Deets Go Here

If you hold out, you may be able to find you a player status American Standard for that price.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
Red Handed Riff Raff

Are you sold on a Fender, particularly for the "Tele Twang"? If you're looking into for a broader tone profile and want something that plays like a "modern" performer I'd recommend the Ibanez FR420 or Ibanez FR365.

The FR420 comes wired stock with five pickup combinations/configurations, one of which has a single coil from each pickup split. Won't get you the brighter tones of a Tele or Strat but you'll get some of the "glassy" character (along with the quiet power of the humbuckers of course).
Noisy Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

I've had a MIM Tele Alpine White, and I just loved it. It looks clean, and has a great play, and feel.
For $500 guitar it gets the job done. I would stick to Standard Tele personally.

I call it the all-purpose, Swiss-Army knife guitar.

Go play them in your local guitar store.

Then it'll be easier to decide.
Go by yourself, and don't be in a hurry.

Unread 08-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #12

I have a MIM that I got at my local Guitar Center for a trade of a Jhs warble-tron and $125. Absolutely love it. Doing a few things to it right now like shielding the cavities, changing the pups to mini humbuckers with coil splitting and locking tuners. But this is how it looked the day I brought it home a few weeks ago.

It is a 2001 model that was traded in a couple days before I picked it up.

forumrunner_20150829_143007.png
R1ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Live life on island time

If you check your local Craigslist or Reverb, a nice highway one American telecaster come up for $500...
I prefer my hway one over my standard.
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGLongBeach View Post
If you check your local Craigslist or Reverb, a nice highway one American telecaster come up for $500...
I prefer my hway one over my standard.
Yup, I picked up 2 HWY1 Teles for $500 each within a couple days of each other. They are outstanding guitars
Gojo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #15
Live life on island time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojo03
Yup, I picked up 2 HWY1 Teles for $500 each within a couple days of each other. They are outstanding guitars
That's so great! Hopefully a maple fretboard and a rosewood fretboard??
You should post pics !
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote