Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
The Toaster

I've been using my laptop for way too long as my only computer. That means I use it for school, work, video, and music. It's already on its second motherboard (one that, I should add, doesn't even work properly), lost its optical drive long ago, and is now simply starting to fall apart. So what does this mean? Well, first of all, I hope that this laptop will actually last through my graduation in December (it should). Secondly, when I (theoretically) move back north, start work, and get a little bit of money, I'm going to have to get a new computer. But I've decided that I don't want to get another powerhouse all-purpose laptop like I've been doing. They're noisy, they're expensive, and they're fickle when you actually use them to the full potential of their hardware configurations. Not a good combination.

So my solution is to hold onto this dingy old laptop until it dies, and simply build a desktop rig for home that will be my work station for the recording studio.

Well, everyone knows that quieter is better in the studio, so I went with an acoustically-friendly case and, well... I'll let the link here do the rest of the talking.

The Toaster

Granted, this build won't be made until next January at the soonest... but it's a good starting point. And I'm sure I'll have input from other tech-savvy people, both here and in other places, to help me along to a music production machine that will give me the most bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

Don't have time to REALLY look at this in detail, but I have two quick things that popped out at me...

Why the Xeon? Ive only seen those used in servers, so idk... :P who knows, maybe they're good for this too! I'll have to read up what specifically makes the Xeon line so special.

For about $15 more you should be able to get a 256gb SSD. I got that same SSD but 256gb and it was like $105 or so.

But yeah, I'll look at it more in detail when I'm not on my phone

Desktops are definitely more cost efficient than laptops.
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
The Overheader

The Toaster. Oh boy.

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Live life on island time

I've completely converted to a tablet ( iPad )
I only use a PC now for work purposes.
Not encountered a virus in quite some time.
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
The Overheader

Interesting .

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
Don't have time to REALLY look at this in detail, but I have two quick things that popped out at me...

Why the Xeon? Ive only seen those used in servers, so idk... :P who knows, maybe they're good for this too! I'll have to read up what specifically makes the Xeon line so special.

For about $15 more you should be able to get a 256gb SSD. I got that same SSD but 256gb and it was like $105 or so.

But yeah, I'll look at it more in detail when I'm not on my phone

Desktops are definitely more cost efficient than laptops.
It's either the Xeon, or upgrading to a hex-core and compatible mobo. My reason? CPU headroom. The more CPU headroom I have, the smoother I'll be able to run Pro Tools. Also more headroom means less heat produced by the CPU when running Pro Tools, and less fan noise to keep the system cool. I may go the hex-core route anyway just for sake of longevity, and since I'd be using the pc for video editing as well. But, money.

I may go the 256GB SSD route but realistically I only need 128GB since all it's going to do is house my software and OS for smoother running. I'll set everything else up to write to the hard disks.

More cost-efficient, and easier to upgrade as I go.

EDIT: Though I did just watch this video which explained quite a bit in the way of how to maximize a system for audio production. Now that I know this, I'll need to take another look at my parts list.

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 04-19-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 04-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Basically... run.

paid
My only concern (apart from my choice in a branding war I won't start here) is I haven't heard of XFX or PNY before - it may just be no one gets them in Australia.

Have you double checked the power requirements of everything?

Quote:
lost its optical drive long ago
I note you don't actually have one of these on the list... You also don't have an OS on the list. :P

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
My only concern (apart from my choice in a branding war I won't start here) is I haven't heard of XFX or PNY before - it may just be no one gets them in Australia.

Have you double checked the power requirements of everything?

I note you don't actually have one of these on the list... You also don't have an OS on the list. :P
I have an external optical drive and a transferable license for Windows 7 Pro.

XFX is good and PNY is an older company, but it checks out.

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
The Overheader

It's gonna cost more than a MacBook. But, maybe not. Sheesh. So, what this "toaster" for? Is it a actual computer?

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus View Post
It's gonna cost more than a MacBook. But, maybe not. Sheesh. So, what this "toaster" for? Is it a actual computer?
It's also going to be more powerful than a Macbook of that price range. By like a million times.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
The Overheader

Wow. So, is it a actual computer?

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
whatsisthisidonteven

Quote:
Wow. So, is it a actual computer?
That would be the point of this thread, Ben is planning on building a new computer(Which he has dubbed "The Toaster"), and is wanting feedback on his planned build.

Back on topic: I don't see anything screaming waaaaaat at me(outside of I don't recall having ever seeing a Xeon in a non-server machine, but that's been brought up), although +1 for double-checking your power requirements, just to be safe. Also, why aren't you using a 7200RPM HDD, 5400 is typically more for laptop use IIRC.

I don't see Monitor/Keyboard, have you looked into that yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
...Jesus?
SporkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkV View Post
Back on topic: I don't see anything screaming waaaaaat at me(outside of I don't recall having ever seeing a Xeon in a non-server machine, but that's been brought up), although +1 for double-checking your power requirements, just to be safe. Also, why aren't you using a 7200RPM HDD, 5400 is typically more for laptop use IIRC.
It's not insanely rare to see a Xeon in a non-server. Some gamers like to use them (including Windows Server, but that relates to the early days when only Server supported dual processors) and I have seen them purposed for things like this.

As for the HDD, Ben did say he's trying to keep heat and power usage low. For what Ben's trying to do, a faster HDD isn't exactly a huge need.

Unread 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
The Overheader

Wow. I wonder what it would look like

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Wow. I wonder what it would look like
The outside will look like this.
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL) - PCPartPicker