Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #31
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Now I'm torn between motherboards. Both are compatible with my build. Both seem to offer the same stuff, including energy efficiency options. The ASUS offers de-popping in the audio circuit, but that's just for output through the onboard audio jacks and wouldn't offer anything in the way of music production. The MSI is cheaper.

MSI: MSI USA X99A SLI PLUS

ASUS: Motherboards | X99-A | ASUS USA

Also swapped the R4 case for the R5. Though it's $20 more expensive, it offers more versatility in configuring the case for quiet vs. cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #32
The Overheader

Do you care about cheapness or quality?

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #33
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Now I'm torn between motherboards. Both are compatible with my build. Both seem to offer the same stuff, including energy efficiency options. The ASUS offers de-popping in the audio circuit, but that's just for output through the onboard audio jacks and wouldn't offer anything in the way of music production. The MSI is cheaper.

MSI: MSI USA X99A SLI PLUS

ASUS: Motherboards | X99-A | ASUS USA

Also swapped the R4 case for the R5. Though it's $20 more expensive, it offers more versatility in configuring the case for quiet vs. cooling.
I've never trusted MSI stuff as far as I could throw it. I always get ASUS where I can.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #34

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus View Post
Do you care about cheapness or quality?
There's usually a balance between the two, but I'll always lean toward quality when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I've never trusted MSI stuff as far as I could throw it. I always get ASUS where I can.
I've never used either. I know ASUS makes fantastic laptops so I figured their desktop MoBos would be great. I know MSI is a popular item, but I've never used it so I wasn't sure. If you say ASUS > MSI, then I'll definitely trust you on it.

Quote:
Unread 05-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #35
The Overheader

Quote:
There's usually a balance between the two, but I'll always lean toward quality when I can.
That's smart . Yeah, quality does matter. But, it's fantastic if you get both, cheap and good quality.

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #36

paid
Quote:
That's smart . Yeah, quality does matter. But, it's fantastic if you get both, cheap and good quality.
Now my main battle is finding a video card that will suit my purposes (editing video in Adobe Premiere, running 2-3 monitors) just enough so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg.

EDIT: The other big challenge is going to be buying parts as deals come up for them (and saving my money so I can do so).

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 05-03-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #37
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Indeed. ASRock usually fits in that gap.

Quote:
I've never used either. I know ASUS makes fantastic laptops so I figured their desktop MoBos would be great. I know MSI is a popular item, but I've never used it so I wasn't sure. If you say ASUS > MSI, then I'll definitely trust you on it.
I know there are plenty of people who will disagree with me. But in my experience, and a lot of other people I know, MSI generally results in disaster.

Quote:
Now my main battle is finding a video card that will suit my purposes (editing video in Adobe Premiere, running 2-3 monitors) just enough so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg.

EDIT: The other big challenge is going to be buying parts as deals come up for them (and saving my money so I can do so).
By the time you get to buying this, a GTX960 should handle that without hassles.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #38
The Overheader

Quote:

Yep. Yeah, the big parts are the possible expensive ones.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Unread 05-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #39

paid
Quote:
Yep. Yeah, the big parts are the possible expensive ones.
Not necessarily. The case is the biggest part and that's only around $100. In fact, the smallest part I'm ordering, the CPU, is the most expensive right now at $379.

Quote:
Indeed. ASRock usually fits in that gap.

I know there are plenty of people who will disagree with me. But in my experience, and a lot of other people I know, MSI generally results in disaster.

By the time you get to buying this, a GTX960 should handle that without hassles.
Never heard of ASRock and for some reason that makes me nervous.
I've heard the GTX960 offers a lot of bang for the buck [edited because I'm a doofus]. There was a Raedon card I was looking at which was also supposed to offer a lot of bang for the buck, but reviews said it was quite noisy. [this is the card I thought you were talking about before I realized I already have in my build the card you mentioned).

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #40
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Never heard of ASRock and for some reason that makes me nervous
They make decent budget stuff, and are reasonably popular (not as much as Gigabyte and ASUS though). I would get one if I was working to a specific budget or only needed the cheapest board I could get, but I'd go for ASUS wherever possible.

Quote:
I've heard the GTX960 offers a lot of bang for the buck, but I've also heard it's quite noisy (something I can't have in a recording room).
Yeah, you'll almost have that problem with your PSU and CPU heatsink unless you have the computer well and truly isolated, either way.

You can try and find a reasonably decent fanless card, and I daresay there'll be some decent 900 series fanless cards by the time you get around to it.

Unread 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #41

paid
Quote:

They make decent budget stuff, and are reasonably popular (not as much as Gigabyte and ASUS though). I would get one if I was working to a specific budget or only needed the cheapest board I could get, but I'd go for ASUS wherever possible.

Yeah, you'll almost have that problem with your PSU and CPU heatsink unless you have the computer well and truly isolated, either way.

You can try and find a reasonably decent fanless card, and I daresay there'll be some decent 900 series fanless cards by the time you get around to it.
Even if I have a card with a fan, the case itself should cut down a lot on noise. And speaking of the case, have you looked at it? Amazing. Apparently has two little clip bays for SSDs that are hidden away on the other side of the panel, behind the motherboard.

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #42
whatsisthisidonteven

Quote:
Apparently has two little clip bays for SSDs that are hidden away on the other side of the panel, behind the motherboard.
Thats actually pretty common these days. super handy tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
...Jesus?
SporkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #43

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkV View Post
Thats actually pretty common these days. super handy tho
Have you see the last desktop I've used? "Pretty common these days" isn't in my vocabulary when it comes to things like cases and cooling.

Quote:
Unread 05-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #44

paid
Thinking about maybe swapping the Hyper 212 Evo (noisy sleeve bearings) for the Dark Rock 3 (quieter fluid dynamic bearings) and running a push/pull configuration. More money, but I think it could be beneficial for keeping quiet and cool. Theoretically, even with a push-pull configuration, it should only make about as much noise as the 212 evo while keeping things plenty cool.

But then, where do I draw the line as far as my concern for quiet? I know with case fans, I'll be using rubber washers to reduce vibration. I may even use rubber dampeners around my hard drives.

EDIT: I think I can just order the hyper 212 evo and just put two aftermarket 120mm fluid dynamic fans on it to keep things quiet while achieving solid push-pull cooling performance... without spending an arm and a leg.

EDIT: Why I haven't though of this before, but now... Color scheme? The mobo follows a black/white scheme. The case follows the same scheme. Maybe I should consider that... Like it's gonna matter. Hah.

EDIT: I've cut the optical drives off the build list. One I can salvage from my current desktop. The other I'm sure I can find lying around somewhere. CD-R/RW & DVD-R drives are a dime a dozen. I see no need to spend $15-20 to buy one new.

EDIT: Back to the X99-A vs. X99PRO debate. The PRO does have more advantage than simply built-in wifi; it also has better CU heat dissipation and a whole 'nother dissipation block than the -A.... and with as important as cooling is to me... But it's $50 more... -walks away mumbling to self-

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 05-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 05-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #45

paid
Okay, get ready for another plan update:

I'm sticking with the i7-5820K (CPU) for now, but with the new i7-6700K coming out sometime between now and purchase time, and if the PCMark ratings are true, it may prove a far superior CPU for a workstation PC (including what I'll be doing, audio/video production) than the 5820K. If this ends up being the case, then expect the CPU and motherboard to change.

It was recommended to me that I skip the GTX960 because the bandwidth is only 128-bit and go with the slightly newer GTX970, since it allows 256-bit bandwidth, allowing for smoother, faster, and more powerful video editing. Unfortunately, the cost is higher, so if that is the case, then the initial build will lack a video card (and will instead recycle an old video card out of Rex, my old PC. Should I opt for the GTX970, I may also have to upgrade the PSU (power supply) to a 750W model to ensure efficiency and proper headroom.

Should I stick with the i7-5820K, because it runs so hot (140W TDP) I'll be using a Corsair H105 liquid CPU cooler and 240mm radiator mounted on the bottom of the case. If I switch to the new i7-6700K instead, because it runs cooler (95W TDP), I may opt for an air cooled design instead. However, the idea of a liquid cooled CPU allowing for mild overclocking (and thus squeezing more production power and performance out of it) is rather appealing, so the whole CPU/Cooler decision is still up in the air and probably won't be decided until within a couple weeks of the day I decide to go ahead and purchase all of the parts for the build.

tl;dr
Who knows, man.

Quote: