Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
The Overheader

Oh, cool . It's a desktop monitor. Wow. I've always wanted to make my own computer .

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus View Post
It's gonna cost more than a MacBook. But, maybe not. Sheesh. So, what this "toaster" for? Is it a actual computer?
It'll be my music production station. Decided it would be more cost-effective in the long run to build a desktop that I can keep upgrading as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkV View Post
That would be the point of this thread, Ben is planning on building a new computer(Which he has dubbed "The Toaster"), and is wanting feedback on his planned build.

Back on topic: I don't see anything screaming waaaaaat at me(outside of I don't recall having ever seeing a Xeon in a non-server machine, but that's been brought up), although +1 for double-checking your power requirements, just to be safe. Also, why aren't you using a 7200RPM HDD, 5400 is typically more for laptop use IIRC.

I don't see Monitor/Keyboard, have you looked into that yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
It's not insanely rare to see a Xeon in a non-server. Some gamers like to use them (including Windows Server, but that relates to the early days when only Server supported dual processors) and I have seen them purposed for things like this.

As for the HDD, Ben did say he's trying to keep heat and power usage low. For what Ben's trying to do, a faster HDD isn't exactly a huge need.
Just to touch on both of these...

The Xeon was recommended by somebody over at HF. They said that it would perform the same as an equivalent i7, for less cost. I just want to make sure that it'll match up well with Pro Tools, since that will be my main platform for recording and production.

The SSD would be my main drive, software and OS stuff. The other drives I may to 7200RPM for smoother performance, but I don't think it'll be entirely necessary if all they're being used for is storage and streaming of files. I know the idea is to lighten the load all around so that Pro Tools can run smoother, which will allow for a more smooth and efficient workflow.

I'm still not sure if I'll want an actual sound card or not. From what I've been seeing/hearing/reading, onboard sound cards are mostly used for gaming, and external audio interfaces act as sound cards as is, taking a lot of processing load off of the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #18
Basically... run.

paid
I've been out of the sound card game for a while, so I haven't really compared any. But onboard stuff gets handles stuff pretty well in terms of output. If you're already using another interface for input then there's no real benefit (unless you can get a really great one at an insanely good price). Just something else to draw power.

Have you confirmed your power requirements, btw?

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
The Overheader

That's a cool idea. Maybe, I'll do that one day, maybe, it will take a little growing up to make a actual computer. Hmmmm, maybe not? I was also thinking of making a device, electronic device. Anyway, hope the computer works for you well .

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #20

paid
Quote:
I've been out of the sound card game for a while, so I haven't really compared any. But onboard stuff gets handles stuff pretty well in terms of output. If you're already using another interface for input then there's no real benefit (unless you can get a really great one at an insanely good price). Just something else to draw power.

Have you confirmed your power requirements, btw?
That's what I was thinking as well, about the sound card. I'll confirm the power requirements as I get closer to buying parts (we're talking eights months at the soonest), and that will probably fluctuate as the build changes. Who knows, I may decide to go with a hex core CPU and different mobo. -shrug-

Quote:
That's a cool idea. Maybe, I'll do that one day, maybe, it will take a little growing up to make a actual computer. Hmmmm, maybe not? I was also thinking of making a device, electronic device. Anyway, hope the computer works for you well .
That would be cool. This is my first build, and I can say even with years of experience working on computers, it's a scary thing.

Oh, I never touched base on mouse and keyboard. I'll cross that bridge when I reach it. I don't have any fancy requirements since I'm not doing any gaming.

Quote:
Unread 04-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
That's what I was thinking as well, about the sound card. I'll confirm the power requirements as I get closer to buying parts (we're talking eights months at the soonest), and that will probably fluctuate as the build changes. Who knows, I may decide to go with a hex core CPU and different mobo. -shrug-
Yeah that's true. I mean, if you can get something similar speed (or faster) with more cores at not much more of a price difference, you may as well.

Quote:
That would be cool. This is my first build, and I can say even with years of experience working on computers, it's a scary thing.
The only thing that's hard to screw up with what you're doing is the Intel heatsink and CPU (bend the pins on the board and you need a new board). Not that it happens very often, but I always hate dealing with them.

Everything else looks good, so the only problems you'll have is either underestimating your PSU requirements or somehow damaging a component when putting it in.

Quote:
Oh, I never touched base on mouse and keyboard. I'll cross that bridge when I reach it. I don't have any fancy requirements since I'm not doing any gaming.
Wired is obviously more reliable where better. But if you're not too fussy, even low end Logitech and Microsoft wireless stuff is okay.

Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA

Unread 04-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

For audio recording, I'd be a little worried about the GPU fans being noisy...

I ended up trading GPUs with my brother for our church studio computer, because the one he got was really noisy, and mine was fanless. But with fanless, you can't count on getting anything very powerful...
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #23
Official CGR Jedi Master

Quote:
Oh, cool . It's a desktop monitor. Wow. I've always wanted to make my own computer .
It's a rewarding and fun hobby. I started into that whole deal when I was your age, and I never stopped learning (basically, there's a lot to it).

The best place to find parts and stuff would be second-hand stores or friends who are upgrading systems. Have fun with it, dude.

Ben, I've built a few towers myself. If you want advice, I'm around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
This is Giuseppes daily reminder to CPFers that you are super awesome and God has a plan for you

*high five*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
The frequency with which I use the phrase "blows my mind" is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend seriously reading the Bible.
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #24
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post

I ended up trading GPUs with my brother for our church studio computer, because the one he got was really noisy, and mine was fanless. But with fanless, you can't count on getting anything very powerful...
It differs from card to card. I have a 660 that I've had for about a year now. It has two really big fans and even when gaming it's reasonably quiet (this is with a side off sitting reasonably close to it too). The only times it's been a problem is dust (and the other fans will get noisy then anyway) or when I've been gaming on 40C (100F) days.

But that said, if audio editing, general quietness and reduced heat/power is what you're after, a 960 might not be the most necessary component to add. :P

Unread 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #25

paid
Quote:
Yeah that's true. I mean, if you can get something similar speed (or faster) with more cores at not much more of a price difference, you may as well.

The only thing that's hard to screw up with what you're doing is the Intel heatsink and CPU (bend the pins on the board and you need a new board). Not that it happens very often, but I always hate dealing with them.

Everything else looks good, so the only problems you'll have is either underestimating your PSU requirements or somehow damaging a component when putting it in.

Wired is obviously more reliable where better. But if you're not too fussy, even low end Logitech and Microsoft wireless stuff is okay.
With the work I've done on laptops, I know enough to be gentle and careful. Though here's a question that's boggling my mind: is thermal compound necessary in desktops as it is with laptops? I'm assuming it is, as it's designed to transfer heat from the CPU into the heat sink.

I'll probably go with wireless, simply for the reason that when I'm working, I will want the computer to be as far away from my mics as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post

I want something decent, as I plan to (eventually) run a dual (or more) monitor setup, and also need something for doing video editing with. The case should help some, but I know I'm going to have to do some isolation of the physical tower as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Master View Post
Ben, I've built a few towers myself. If you want advice, I'm around
I'll keep that in mind!

Quote:
But that said, if audio editing, general quietness and reduced heat/power is what you're after, a 960 might not be the most necessary component to add. :P
I'm not too keen on video cards. That was also a recommendation. I may go with something lesser, but I need to be able to run multiple monitors smoothly and do some video editing with Premiere.

Quote:
Unread 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #26
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
With the work I've done on laptops, I know enough to be gentle and careful. Though here's a question that's boggling my mind: is thermal compound necessary in desktops as it is with laptops? I'm assuming it is, as it's designed to transfer heat from the CPU into the heat sink.
It is necessary, but there is always enough included on stock heatsinks that you don't need any extra.

Quote:
I want something decent, as I plan to (eventually) run a dual (or more) monitor setup
For the record, any card will work for that. Most low end ones have HDMI and DVI out these days and generally support high resolutions.

Quote:
and also need something for doing video editing with. The case should help some, but I know I'm going to have to do some isolation of the physical tower as well.

I'm not too keen on video cards. That was also a recommendation. I may go with something lesser, but I need to be able to run multiple monitors smoothly and do some video editing with Premiere.
Yeah if it's for video editing purposes and not gaming, then you can probably afford to dial it back a bit. Also bearing in mind that the 960 will probably be way cheaper with some redesigns by the time you get around to building this.

Unread 04-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #27

paid
This article is leading me to seriously consider a six-core CPU and different motherboard, and splitting that 2TB 5400RPM drive into two 1.5TB 7200RPM drives for smoother streaming.

EDIT: Replaced the 2TB drive with a pair of 7200RPM 1TB WD Black drives. A bit noisier but worth it for the performance boost.

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
whatsisthisidonteven

Tbh, the biggest thing for noise will likely be your case, as ventilation can drastically change how much your fans need to run, plus just the acoustics of the case itself, not sure how much you've looked into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
...Jesus?
SporkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #29

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkV View Post
Tbh, the biggest thing for noise will likely be your case, as ventilation can drastically change how much your fans need to run, plus just the acoustics of the case itself, not sure how much you've looked into that.
This is the case I have picked out.

Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL) - PCPartPicker

EDIT: If I do upgrade to a 6-core CPU (since Pro Tools would benefit greatly from it), I'll need to place more focus on cooling and look at a physical setup in which the computer tower itself is physically removed from the room in which I'll be recording (or isolated in a soundproof box, but then there's a potential heat problem). If that ends up happening, I may end up going with a more cooling-friendly case. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 04-22-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Unread 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #30

paid
Alright, so after some research (if you can believe I found time to piddle with this in the midst of academics), I decided to ditch the quad-core Xeon E3 for the 6-core i7-5820K. Upgraded the motherboard to an Asus X99-A with USB 3.1 (might as well stay with the times, by the time I do the build). Still looking at 16GB RAM as being the only really necessary amount.

EDIT: DDR4 RAM (what my mobo is compatible with) is super expensive. As far as I read, there's no realistic difference in performance between 2400-3000, so I went with the 2400.

EDIT: Decided to add dual optical drives for CD burning.

EDIT: A suggested PSU (650W) upgrade has been made, but if I later find out I can safely get away with a 550W, I'll downgrade again.

EDIT: I'm contemplating whether I want my 240-250GB system drive to be a regular SATA 3 SSD (6.0Gb/sec) or if I want to run a M.2 SSD (up to 32Gb/sec). I can't decide. The board supports either.

Quote:

Last edited by Ben Toast; 05-02-2015 at 05:08 PM.