Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Life Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #16
Support Southern Rock

I work for the family business. It's my parents and 3 employees. I'm not exactly self employed but I'm close to it (I manage the company). In a way, it's very stressful because if we do not do well, then my livelihood is at stake. When we make business investments it is our skin on the line. I just picked out a new van and bought it. That's a $40,000 decision that is hopefully a good one.

On the other hand, working for family gives me great flexibility. I earn what I am worth. I am able to make room for things I need to get done. I borrowed some employees for a project at home.

Moral of the story is that if you work for yourself, there is a risk reward scenario. Oftentimes if you bust your butt then you are rewarded. But there is a lot of overhead stress that follows you around.

Unread 04-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #17
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Yeah...that and job security.
I think that, for me, the private or mid-size company is my sweet spot. I have thought about being running my own company, but as was mentioned, that can be a lot of stress. In a large corporation, there can be stability, but there is also the fact that things can change quickly and you can be out of a job. In my experience, you also become more of a number and seen as a replaceable good instead of a valuable part of the company.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
now a spiced muffin.
Administrator

paid
but depending on the large corporation, even if your role gets eliminated there is the possibility for you to be moved to a different org. my company didn't even start giving pink slips til the 90s, i think...people would just get shuffled.

one of my clients STILL doesn't pink slip people...for better or for worse.

it just depends on your corporate culture.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
but depending on the large corporation, even if your role gets eliminated there is the possibility for you to be moved to a different org. my company didn't even start giving pink slips til the 90s, i think...people would just get shuffled.

one of my clients STILL doesn't pink slip people...for better or for worse.

it just depends on your corporate culture.
Right. Each scenario has a list of pros and cons. The good news is that most people are lucky enough that they can experience a little of each and decide where they feel most comfortable. After all, where you are most comfortable is the best place to be.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote