Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #46
The Overheader

Oh. Ok, that proves that smart actually didn't pick a name for no reason.

These aren't the --->corgi's<--- you are looking for"

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

Even Christians Can Rock</My Blog>

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Legos that fly and do cool stuff (What I Do on YT )
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #47
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
Not even. The 3cyl engine actually uses more fuel than would the 4cyl engines in most compact cars. Smart cars are like the iPads of the transportation world: they're trendy and sleek, but pretty useless.
Nope. There are no inherent disadvantages to a 3-cylinder design, when compared to a 4-cylinder of the same displacement. In fact, due to the nature of having larger rotating assemblies, the power delivery of a 3-cylinder is going to be shifted downward in the RPM range as opposed to it's 4-cylinder counterpart. This means that at low speeds, the throttle can be held open for less time to attain a given level of acceleration. Less throttle opening = less fuel used.

The fuel economy issues that the Smart Fortwo suffers from are most likely aerodynamic and gearing related.
Unread 04-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #48
The Overheader

I saw this super shiny Smart car. I mean, like really shiny. I'm still not sure if the Smart is safe or not.

I might be young, or old, but i am a part of God. I have changed thanks to him. I came here for a reason, and i'm trying to make that reason last. I respect the Lord. Jesus is my savior. I am a believer

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 10-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #49
The Overheader

I know, I'm weird to revive this thread again, but I thought I'll give you more detail about the Smart car(just a little more )

"Smart Automobile is a division of Daimler AG that manufactures and markets the smart Fortwo and smart Forfour. The official trademarked name is "smart" with all lowercase letters ("Smart" is incorrect spelling). Headquartered in BŲblingen, Germany, smart has marketed a range of microcar and subcompact vehicles, with its primary assembly plants located in Hambach, France and Novo Mesto, Slovenia. Annette Winkler has served as smart's CEO since 2010.

Marketed in 46 countries—in Asia, North and South America, Africa, Australia and Europe—production of the Fortwo had surpassed 1.7 million units by early 2015.

The design concept for the company's automobiles began at Mercedes in the early 1970s and in the late 1980s, associated with Swatch. After a brief period of backing by Volkswagen, the first model was launched by Daimler-Benz in October 1998. Several variants on the original design have been introduced, with the original two-seater called the Fortwo, now in its third generation and available as an electric version.

The brand name smart derives from its early cooperative studies with Swatch and Mercedes: Swatch Mercedes ART. In its corporate branding, the company uses a lowercase logotype (i.e., smart) and a logo incorporating the letter "c" for "compact" and an arrow for "forward thinking"."

Interesting, so Smart car's name derives by their early cooperates, Swatch & Mercedes. And their logo incorporates "C" as "compact", and the arrow (>) as "forward thinking". Considering how tiny and dangerous the Smart car is, it has some history though.

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 10-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #50
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
If you quote text, you have to link to source material.

SMART is not dangerous.
Unread 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #51
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
If you quote text, you have to link to source material.

SMART is not dangerous.
That is correct

Smart(automobile)

Not the actual company, but the car is. I mean, I wonder how badly that car could get if ram your car into it?

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 10-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #52
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus View Post
That is correct

Smart(automobile)

Not the actual company, but the car is. I mean, I wonder how badly that car could get if ram your car into it?
As several people in this thread have pointed out, the SMART car performs very well in crash tests.
Unread 10-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #53
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
As several people in this thread have pointed out, the SMART car performs very well in crash tests.
Don't get me started... :P. Wow, I mean, I'm surprised it did get good crash tests. I mean, it looks like it might tip over . Well, looking at it technically.

Ok, here's my theory, the Smart is by far, unbelievably small, but it surprisingly has good crash tests. It's a little smaller than a Mini, but I don't think it's better than a Mini. It's definitely small, and quite "cute", but it's actually not a bad car. There.

i guess there's nothing left to say. Other than that this thread was a BIG hit?

This Journal is Awesome!

First Ever Thread

Unread 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #54
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laturus View Post
Don't get me started... :P. Wow, I mean, I'm surprised it did get good crash tests. I mean, it looks like it might tip over . Well, looking at it technically.

Ok, here's my theory, the Smart is by far, unbelievably small, but it surprisingly has good crash tests. It's a little smaller than a Mini, but I don't think it's better than a Mini. It's definitely small, and quite "cute", but it's actually not a bad car. There.

i guess there's nothing left to say. Other than that this thread was a BIG hit?
The Smart and the Mini are targeted at totally different segments of the market. The Mini has a better drive-train, brakes, suspension, and chassis dynamics than the Smart. It's designed to be a slightly sporty hatchback with a good dose of nostalgia for those that remember the old Mini.

The Smart is simply designed to be small and economical. It's definitely small. It's not entirely good at being economical. It's not supposed to be sporty at all, and it's marketed mostly at people who do the vast majority of their driving in an urban setting.

Lastly, size has nothing at all to do with crash test performance. See the following videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-s1sIoLhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I002GT1mK4

As you can see, both the Smart and the Mini performed quite well in the crash tests, as they both preserved the occupant's survivable space well while absorbing the impact. The Smart recoils off of the impact a little more violently due to the light weight and rigidity of the chassis. The recoil is not entirely desirable, but it's significantly preferable to less recoil in exchange for less survivable space.

Now... here are some much larger cars. The first video is a Mazda CX-9 SUV. During the crash, do you see how the roof and floor pan of the vehicle collapse right about in the middle of the driver door? That's exactly how you end up with injuries and fatalities, as the space the driver is occupying becomes compressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qXOiri3vTU

Last video, a Ford F-150 pickup truck. Here you'll see basically the same thing, as the truck folds right in the area of the passenger compartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5EmJBaGeQ

Size =/= safety. They aren't even correlated.
Unread 09-03-2016, 03:29 AM   #55
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Did we ever come to a conclusion? IS the Smart Car REALLY smart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Unread 09-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #56
recovering user

Your mom is smart.
Closed Thread