Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #46
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I would encourage you to stop looking for substitutes. In my experience, any band worth listening to is not going to be trying to sound like someone else, but will instead be trying to make good music, good art. Look instead for bands that are innovating, making their own sound, or are simply good.
This is my view.

No Christian band will out tool tool, because at best they will be an imitation. They could possibly make music of equal or better quality if they do their own thing though.

to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #47
The Overheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I would encourage you to stop looking for substitutes. In my experience, any band worth listening to is not going to be trying to sound like someone else, but will instead be trying to make good music, good art. Look instead for bands that are innovating, making their own sound, or are simply good.
Oh, and did you meant stop searching for christian hard rock substitutes. Because, that's a whole different picture. I agree with you, but if your a christian, you don't just pull any music(even if it's explicit) and listen to it. Did you mean, Stop looking for christian hard rock substitutes because there's already good christian hard rock bands and it doesn't have to sound exactly like a secular hard rock band. That's what I thought you meant. Ok, just wondering.
Laturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #48
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus
You know, your right. There are good christian hard rock bands out there . Like I said before, I like hard rock, nu metal, post-grunge, metal(unless it doesn't have that not good sounding death metal singing/screaming, too me, it's like you can't even hear what their singing, it's almost like their not even christian). Oh, one more thing, if there are any good christian metal bands without that death, kill, or too much screaming, please, please, PLEASE tell me. Ok, thank you
tourniquet
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #49
The Overheader

I heard that band before. Are they good? The reason I'm asking because their albums seem a little extreme but I guess it's worth a shot. I still have more but I first want to know if I should take a break asking about more christian hard rock bands or can I keep going? Ok, just asking because I thought you might be tired of me asking more. Thanks
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:14 AM   #50
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus
I heard that band before. Are they good? The reason I'm asking because their albums seem a little extreme but I guess it's worth a shot. I still have more but I first want to know if I should take a break asking about more christian hard rock bands or can I keep going? Ok, just asking because I thought you might be tired of me asking more. Thanks
They are relatively tame compared to some of the bands you all have mentioned.
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #51
The Overheader

Yeah, like Norma Jean & Underoath. Their screaming/singing is WAY too much. I mean, I sometimes skip christian metal or metalcore bands because I worry their singing/screaming is either too much or extremely intense. But, I'll allow christian metal or metalcore bands without that intense screaming or too much screaming, if you know any. I'll research more about Tourniquet . Thanks
Unread 03-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #52
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laturus View Post
Yeah, like Norma Jean & Underoath. Their screaming/singing is WAY too much. I mean, I sometimes skip christian metal or metalcore bands because I worry their singing/screaming is either too much or extremely intense. But, I'll allow christian metal or metalcore bands without that intense screaming or too much screaming, if you know any. I'll research more about Tourniquet . Thanks
Tourniquet - Fed By Ravens, Eaten By Vultures
Unread 03-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #53
The Overheader

Still, are you tired of me asking about more christian hard rock bands? I'm just concerned if you are. I got more questions, but I'll pause if you're tired of me asking about that. Thanks
Unread 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #54
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Still, are you tired of me asking about more christian hard rock bands? I'm just concerned if you are. I got more questions, but I'll pause if you're tired of me asking about that. Thanks
Ask away. Keep in mind...I'm the old guy up here so I may not know a lot of newer bands. However...if you want to learn about some of the classic Christian hard rock and metal bands...I might be able to help.
Unread 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #55
The Overheader

Sure , I'd like to learn them . Thanks . But, just a reminder, If it's christian metal, i'm really not into extreme or bad death metal singing/screaming. It's like they cover up their lyrics, If you know what i mean. Ok, go ahead and tell me about those classic christian hard rock bands. Thanks
Unread 03-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #56
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Sure , I'd like to learn them . Thanks . But, just a reminder, If it's christian metal, i'm really not into extreme or bad death metal singing/screaming. It's like they cover up their lyrics, If you know what i mean. Ok, go ahead and tell me about those classic christian hard rock bands. Thanks
Here are a few that began in the 80s. Some of them are still around and still making albums.

Stryper
Whitecross
Bloodgood
Saint
Sacred Warrior
Barren Cross
Believer
Bride
Crystavox
Deliverance
Guardian
Holy Soldier
Shout
Ken Tamplin
Petra (not metal but some of their stuff is considered hard rock)
Tourniquet
Vengeance Rising (growling vocals)
Mortification (growling vocals)

There....that should keep you busy.

Unread 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #57
The Overheader

Thanks . I do know Bride. They're great . My favorite album from them is This Is It. I'll search those other ones . thanks
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #58
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks . I do know Bride. They're great . My favorite album from them is This Is It. I'll search those other ones . thanks
That's actually the only Bride album I don't have.
Unread 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #59
The Overheader

Heh, that's nearly the only album I LIKE, unfortunately. This album is like Guns N Rose & AC DC(to me). I also heard that Barren Cross sounds like Iron Maiden. I like metal in all, but I was into stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, and more. Does any of those sound like them? Just wondering. Ok, thanks.
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #60
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Heh, that's nearly the only album I LIKE, unfortunately. This album is like Guns N Rose & AC DC(to me). I also heard that Barren Cross sounds like Iron Maiden. I like metal in all, but I was into stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, and more. Does any of those sound like them? Just wondering. Ok, thanks.
Most of Deliverance's albums are straight up thrash. Tourniquet is similar to Megadeth but they did experiment on a couple of albums.