Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #61
is still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lebomanus View Post
Denver's defense absolutely dominated tonight. They won the game because Carolina had Manning on the ropes as well. Neither offense looked like they were ready for this game.
Absolutely dominating performance by Denver's defense! Inspired, in some part I believe by Peyton's "unannounced" retirement. I have a feeling the team was aware this was his last game (pure speculation on my part).

TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #62

The Broncos defense dominated that game
aljb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #63
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

I am having a hard time seeing the rampant irrational hatred of Cam Newton. It seems to be going FAR beyond the animosity aimed at a rival's player. Come on, he isn't even close to being the most arrogant or obnoxious player to ever suit up in the NFL. He's not even the worst playing right now.

I can understand not liking him because you are a fan of another team but what has he done to deserve being called "trash" or worse?

I don't get it.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #64
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
A lot of people expect QBs to be some bastion on light, leading a squad of brutes. It's the general vs. grunts mentality, and when Cam doesn't meet that expectation it's somehow not just "Hey, he's got his own flavor", it's "oh, he's immature and arrogant".

Meh...

Philip Rivers had a long reputation for being a hot head. You know if he was in that SB getting rocked, he'd be screaming at people all over the place.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #65
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
A lot of people expect QBs to be some bastion on light, leading a squad of brutes. It's the general vs. grunts mentality, and when Cam doesn't meet that expectation it's somehow not just "Hey, he's got his own flavor", it's "oh, he's immature and arrogant".

Meh...

Philip Rivers had a long reputation for being a hot head. You know if he was in that SB getting rocked, he'd be screaming at people all over the place.
Rivers, Flacco, Hasselbeck, Brady, Cutler, and even Rodgers have all shown a bit of arrogance and cockiness from time to time. Doesn't part of it come with the territory?

Jim McMahon was a totally diva but he was considered a clown and not a thug. I don't like it when people play the race card but I have to wonder if that isn't behind some of the criticism Cam gets.
Unread 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #66

Quote:
I am having a hard time seeing the rampant irrational hatred of Cam Newton. It seems to be going FAR beyond the animosity aimed at a rival's player. Come on, he isn't even close to being the most arrogant or obnoxious player to ever suit up in the NFL. He's not even the worst playing right now.

I can understand not liking him because you are a fan of another team but what has he done to deserve being called "trash" or worse?

I don't get it.
I'm baffled by the fact that so many have the perception of "rampant irrational hatred". I visit multiple social media sites like CGR that either have a sports section or a scuttle but section for general thoughts and haven't seen any Cam hatred on any of them. I have a pretty broad mix of facebook friends and haven't seen any hateful posts directed at Cam. I watch a ton of sports TV shows and the reaction to Cam seems to be pretty balanced. In the wake of the post game press conference I think the reaction from the media and all the fans that I know is pretty measured. It seems most people think he could have been more professional, a better leader, more gracious, etc. etc., but they understand his reaction. I don't feel sorry for guys making the kind of money Cam is, but I can sympathize with the difficulty of being under a microscope at what may be the most painful moment of your life.

Out of curiosity, what gives you the idea that there is rampant irrational hatred.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I'm baffled by the fact that so many have the perception of "rampant irrational hatred". I visit multiple social media sites like CGR that either have a sports section or a scuttle but section for general thoughts and haven't seen any Cam hatred on any of them. I have a pretty broad mix of facebook friends and haven't seen any hateful posts directed at Cam. I watch a ton of sports TV shows and the reaction to Cam seems to be pretty balanced. In the wake of the post game press conference I think the reaction from the media and all the fans that I know is pretty measured. It seems most people think he could have been more professional, a better leader, more gracious, etc. etc., but they understand his reaction. I don't feel sorry for guys making the kind of money Cam is, but I can sympathize with the difficulty of being under a microscope at what may be the most painful moment of your life.

Out of curiosity, what gives you the idea that there is rampant irrational hatred.
In the days leading up to the SB and in the days following, I've definitely had a handful of sports fan friends that have been going on and on about the arrogance of (before) and the unprofessionalism (post-game) of Cam Newton based on pretty much on clothing choices, end zone dances and not much else.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
In the days leading up to the SB and in the days following, I've definitely had a handful of sports fan friends that have been going on and on about the arrogance of (before) and the unprofessionalism (post-game) of Cam Newton based on pretty much on clothing choices, end zone dances and not much else.
Would you call it rampant thought? This reminds me of the Starbucks Christmas cup controversy where there was a lot of noise about "ALL those wacky Christians" and it was really just a few.
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #69
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
It is, like most ridiculous things in sports, fueled by the media, especially sports talk radio. How else are they going to fill three hours?

That said, both my partner at work and his intern spent a while talking about his post-game attitude and actions. They were both of the opinion that it was ridiculous and you can't act that way. Yawn.
Unread 02-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #70
...more machine than man.

I just hate people who went to Auburn.

And Tom Brady.

I haven't really seen any hate directed towards cam past the normal trash talkers on the sportscenter facebook page...but they literally do that to everyone. Certainly there isn't a national hatred of the guy.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #71
is still learning...

I do believe the subject is more heated than usual, but I attribute it to a sort of "payback" of sorts. There are those that didn't like the bragging and dances and various touchdown stunts, so when they get the chance to criticize, they go overboard as well. The pendulum swings just as far each way.

I thought his antics while winning were mostly just having "fun". I don't doubt that some Bronco players were inspired to play even more when Cam came out before the game wearing golden "MVP" cleats. These are stunts other players named MVP in the NFL hadn't done before, and people usually like their heroes to also be more humble. Sports in general are taken much too seriously, but I suppose folks need the distraction when life gets them down sometimes.
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #72
Administrator

I'm just amused at the number of times I've seen Cam called "Supergirl"...

Because being a female Kryptonian is a huge downgrade from a male Kryptonian?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 02-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #73
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:

When you assault someone's personal character for no good reason, that's irrational. When you call him a spook, jigaboo, or n*gger...that's irrational. And I have heard him called all three here in Pennsylvania.

He's cocky on the field and he talks smack. How does that make him a bad person? I don't like LeBron but I don't assault his character because of it.
Unread 02-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #74

Quote:
When you assault someone's personal character for no good reason, that's irrational. When you call him a spook, jigaboo, or n*gger...that's irrational. And I have heard him called all three here in Pennsylvania.

He's cocky on the field and he talks smack. How does that make him a bad person? I don't like LeBron but I don't assault his character because of it.
I'm glad I don't live in Pa or know/hang with the same people you do. I've heard non of that.

In fact I've seen a lot less criticism of him as a person than I remember seeing about that Christian guy that shoved his religion down everyone's throat by doing a little pose on the sidelines every now and then.
Unread 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #75
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
I'm glad I don't live in Pa or know/hang with the same people you do. I've heard non of that.

In fact I've seen a lot less criticism of him as a person than I remember seeing about that Christian guy that shoved his religion down everyone's throat by doing a little pose on the sidelines every now and then.
It's not just Pennsylvania. I don't hang with these people either. This was something I overheard standing in line at McDonalds.

I have seen people on Facebook (Twitter) making absolutely shameful comments about Newton.

Tebow? Really? Most of the criticism (fair and unfair) was due to his perceived lack of talent. I don't recall ever seeing him called a thug or piece of trash. People joked on him (and I think they were wrong) but even people as odd as Gene Simmons from Kiss publicly defended him.