Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
Deets Go Here

Prompting People

So, we are currently evaluating the song aspect of our service. On one hand we have people who are content with the way it is being done and allowing people to express their own worship in their own way. They are free to raise their hands while singing, sit, stand and not even sing or whatever. Then there are others who want to engage the congregation a little bit more. They want to tell people to raise their hands and give a shout of praise if they have anything to be thankful for and things like that.

Do you agree/like/participate in either one of these situations? Do you tell people to raise their hands or do you just let it happen?

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Encourage people to express themselves. Model it from the platform. But I can't stand it when leaders tell me what to do during a song.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Old School
Administrator

I typically say something along these lines:

"We encourage you to worship in whatever way the Spirit moves you."
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Encourage people to express themselves. Model it from the platform. But I can't stand it when leaders tell me what to do during a song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RM View Post
I typically say something along these lines:

"We encourage you to worship in whatever way the Spirit moves you."
This is kind of my thinking as well. The issue is we have a more charismatic couple who is used to that sort of worship. They are now encouraging our worship leader to use these practices. It has went so far as to criticize his leadership because he doesn't do these things. In that he isn't doing his job and leading people into the presence of God because the congregation is not responding the way they expect them. I have a feeling it's going to eventually be a sore spot as it is already heading that way.

I believe they are doing this with good intentions, but I am wondering if the belief system (which I knew was there) is finally beginning to clash.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Make sure you post a "no shofar" sign in the front of the sanctuary.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Maybe do a teaching on worship.

thisistheamazingsignatureonmyreallycoolmobiledevicewhixhjustgoesonandonandonwithoutstopping.chur.ohm anitsbreakfasttimeineesacoffeesowhatahouldihavemmmmgteggsroyalroastthebestkindofonstantthatthereis.c hur.amistillgoinf?youcanthandlethis. canyouhearthebellsareringingfarfaraway? chur. :-);-):-D:-(:'(:O:O:O:O:-D:-D:-D:-D☆☆☆★★★★▼▲◀▶●□■◇◆♧♣♣ my signiture just keeps getting bigger and bigger nononoyoucanthandkethis★★★★★★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆♧♣♧♣♧♧◆◆□□□□□□↓↓↓↓↓→→→→→→→←←←→←→←→←◀▶◀◀▶▼▲▼▲▼★★★:O:O
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe F
I may do it in very light doses from time to time. For example if we are kicking off a high energy song during the intro I may say "Psalm 47:1 tells us we can clap along this morning if we feel led to as we sing in joyous praise to the Lord!!".

As I have visited churches that do it heavily however, I find it more of a distracting annoyance than anything. I attended services with relatives a few years back and it seemed like the leader was more of an aerobics instructor than a worship leader. "Let's clap our hands now! " "Raise your hands y'all!" "Let's move to the power of the Lord on this one". Rinse repeat, rinse repeat and on and on and on through every song. Instead of focusing on the Lord, I was mostly thinking "Can you just shut up and let us sing?"

I do like to have the vocal team model it though. Hands raised, eyes closed, clapping etc, but also encourage them to do it as they feel led rather than writing on their lyrics "Raise hands here".
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
As I have visited churches that do it heavily however, I find it more of a distracting annoyance than anything. I attended services with relatives a few years back and it seemed like the leader was more of an aerobics instructor than a worship leader. "Let's clap our hands now! " "Raise your hands y'all!" "Let's move to the power of the Lord on this one". Rinse repeat, rinse repeat and on and on and on through every song. Instead of focusing on the Lord, I was mostly thinking "Can you just shut up and let us sing?"
That's an interesting point. I could see it being distracting if over used. I hadn't thought about that. It would really become more of a hindrance than a help.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

Growing up in a Church of God (Anderson Indiana, not the charismatic one) and now leading at a place of worship with over half the worshippers/-congregation being from charismatic backgrounds I start off by agreeing with dogfood. A teaching on worship from time to time is good. Also, I am annoyed when I am told how to worship/being coached how to worship the God of my universe in Whom I fully believe. That said, I enjoy certain facets of worship from charismatic churches but I agree with others who've said when the leaders are calling plays more than singing praises to the King, that's where I have a problem.

Let it happen. It will. God is good. He has given us the Spirit.

Often times I lead with no accompaniment with just the guitar so obviously it's near impossible to raise my hands unless we go a capella. I will encourage worship as the congregation sees fit, but for me, I don't play coach the whole game. Maybe a quick pep talk but that's it.
Unread 01-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #10
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
Growing up in a Church of God (Anderson Indiana, not the charismatic one) and now leading at a place of worship with over half the worshippers/-congregation being from charismatic backgrounds I start off by agreeing with dogfood. A teaching on worship from time to time is good. Also, I am annoyed when I am told how to worship/being coached how to worship the God of my universe in Whom I fully believe. That said, I enjoy certain facets of worship from charismatic churches but I agree with others who've said when the leaders are calling plays more than singing praises to the King, that's where I have a problem.

Let it happen. It will. God is good. He has given us the Spirit.

Often times I lead with no accompaniment with just the guitar so obviously it's near impossible to raise my hands unless we go a capella. I will encourage worship as the congregation sees fit, but for me, I don't play coach the whole game. Maybe a quick pep talk but that's it.
Thanks for your kind words.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

It's all about manipulation and peer pressure. At church last week during one song a man towards the front stood up, a few seconds later as a second man stood up the song leader took on a very earnest posture with his fist raised to the heavens, said something along the lines of "praise him", and sure enough everyone else stood up. Trust me, the masses are weak minded. With a little work you will find it is fairly easy to manipulate .... I mean, encourage them to worship.

Is that a rant? If so, sorry.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote