Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

CCM - The Ultimate Gateway Drug?

I don't know that I agree with all of what this guy has to say, but he really struck a chord with me when he basically says that we should not basically try and take any and everything and then to sanctify it and say "it's for the Lord".

Gateway Drug?

What do you think?

Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #2

While I found some points to be interesting, I found myself thinking his views to be quite judgmental in addition to him coming across as both pretentious and condescending. I've seen similar attacks on CCM for years now. Often, if only for the very instruments used in it. They make money, it's sinful. They play electric instruments, it's of the devil. They use any at all, it's blasphemy! I'm not sure what's more harmful to Christianity these days, the devil, or the very people who profess to be followers of Christ yet continually attack others who share the same faith.
Fuyukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I, uh, lol'd.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
An hour? An hour! sheesh...ain't nobody got time for that (I'm trying to make time for it though...haha)

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
\_(ツ)_/

yeah, thats a tl;dw from me too. Can't really take such a thing seriously
Unread 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I lasted about 10 minutes.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

I've been hearing this same kind of crap for all of my life...and I'm like...old.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

possibly. there always subculture with music subgenres. also there was time when christian bands were market as safe alternative to band x. for me I like pop punk and reliant k. when pop punk declined it made hard to find any good bands. good deal of bands in the underground are clean but not all band in subgenre are clean plus the christian pop punk band were more mature. funny thing is when jason dun left hawk nelson and found the lights go down even though all music is secular the band is full christians and have more mature clean content that I was use to.
spark300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
\_(ツ)_/

How dare he speak a non-biblical language. That satanic piano music in the beginning. Real Christians only play the harp. /sarcasm
Unread 12-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
Tiffany Duff

My preference for loving traditional hymns as a form of worship music is not because I believe any style of music is inherently sinful, but because I find them more harmonious for meditative aspects of Christian devotion. It was up to the younger generation to try and make them seem contemporary by doing cheesy and pretentious pop punk, metal, etc. covers of old hymns. Most of those old songs were beautiful and perfectly fine as they were. It's the younger people who have had a problem respecting that. On the other hand, although I like modern worship, I would find it more respectable if most of it didn't have so much influence from groups like U2. I don't particularly care for their music or style. I prefer 'granny music' and am ironically enough, 'old at heart', so to speak.
Duffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

I don't agree. Music that has the name "Jesus" is everything but wordly. I mean, even when our classic hymns were first written they were "contemporary".
AnthonyYaff is offline   Reply With Quote