Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Life Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

What career advice would you give me?

I'm 32. Like a lot of people, I'm not happy with the money that I'm making. I have worked in retail since my teen years, in a variety of positions. I have been with my current company (Publix) for about 3.5 years. Got about $5K in free stock currently and get dividends on that. In the new position, I'd be gaining about $4K in free stock each year. I'm about to be promoted into another position, but cap pay for that position is $34,528, not including benefits. Cap pay with benefits is about $38,500. I wouldn't start at cap pay (a little under), obviously...It would be more around $32K starting out, plus benefits. It would take several years to reach the max pay, even with my boss (who loves the job that I do and has pushed for better raises and is trying to get me into this position at a higher rate than normal) trying to help me out. The only way that I could increase my pay after that is via the bi-yearly dividends based on free stock that the company gives me and/or extra stock that I buy as part of a retirement plan. I don't want to move into management because of the stress and 50-hour work weeks. I help take care of a couple of family members and I eventually want my own family someday...so I'm feeling that even $40K wouldn't be enough to do the basic and frugal things that I want to do.

I'm in Atlanta, Georgia currently, but in the spring, hoping to move to a nearby smaller city to get away from the city drama.

I feel stuck. I love my job, it just doesn't pay enough. I plan to keep it and use it to help pay for whatever trade/tech school, but I'm not sure if it will provide enough. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know where to start.

I'm more introverted, but I interact very well with customers at work. Yet in an academic setting or when around groups, I have very bad social anxiety. I didn't want to go the academic route in college due to having to present papers and such. That was a nightmare for me in high school and I never "got used to it" like a lot of my peers did. I got much more nervous than they did.

I'm very good with computers, but unsure of what I could actually do with them as a career. I don't feel skilled enough. Not that knowledgeable about fixing them. I can't see myself being a graphic artist, for instance (not good at artistic stuff). I'm not a programmer type. I like hands-on things that keep me active. I'm the type of person that knows all of the computer shortcuts, knows all about installing software and such...more of an advanced computer user than anything. I know that schools teach the skills, but I feel a bit iffy and unsure of what field to consider.

What else could I do that doesn't involve driving all day and that would allow me to make about $50K+ with just a high school diploma and whatever tech or trade certification? I have looked into basic stuff like welder, electrician, etc. I just don't feel that I am a good fit for those types of things.

Edit: HVAC is out...the driving around from here to there for each job site kind of kills that for me and would get on my nerves.

Any advice?

Last edited by jmr1068204; 12-19-2014 at 11:19 PM.
jmr1068204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Why is HVAC out? Anyway, the trades (welding, plumbing, etc.) is always a good option.

I don't have any specific advise but I wanted to say that you should consider yourself very young with your whole career ahead of you. I remember being in my 30's and feeling like it was too late to spend a lot of time going to school and start a new career. But the reality is: people are living longer, maintaining more energy into their 60's and 70's, and retirement benefits are kicking in later. So even if you took the next 6-8 years to figure it out and get trained/educated for another career you would have 30+ years to work and advance in that career.

Good luck
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Deets Go Here

What do you like to do? That will help you determine what you should focus on for a career. Money is not everything.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
Support Southern Rock

I'll just say that round here the trades are pretty desirable. I got a BCOMM and lots of my peers got 40k$ with the degree. With a trade, people make money 10 months of the year, and school 2 months. Then it's 35-40$ per hour after that (70-80k$ per year. That's pretty good when you are 22.
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
Servant of Christ

Good question. Here is what I would suggest:

Spend the time and write down all the skills you have demonstrated (ignore job desciprions/titles) over all your work.

Now search those skills. This will allow you to see all the other opportunities in other business markets where you could apply them.

Now write a compelling, relevant, business example where you executed each skill, and as possible, customize each one to each business market.

This what I did to move myself from acct mgmt, to business analysis, to financial analysis in a totally different business segment within 2 years. Came with a 30% increase in pay and much more job enjoyment.

Guitars: 79 Gibson Les Paul Std, Warmoth S Type, Godin Flat Five X, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Gretsch White Falcon, Goodall Concert Jumbo, Ovation 12 string,

Rig: Axe-FX II, MFC-101, QSC HPR 112i, Yamaha AG Stomp, JH Audio Pro 16s

Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God
TBurst Std is offline   Reply With Quote