Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Direct out?

I am one of the guitarists in my school worship band (Christian school) and I've been considering getting an amp with a line out or better yet a xlr out. Frankly I don't like mic'ing up my amp and I feel like I could get a better amp. I've been an old Fender G-DEC 3 Fifteen, first and only physical amp, and it doesn't have a direct out. Our bassist plugs directly to a snake with an xlr out and our guitarist does the same with his board, but I have to make sure my mic is positioned properly and everything. Plus the mic tends to get knocked around a lot. We use livewire direct boxes for keyboards and acoustic guitars. Would an amp with a line out be better suited for me than mic'ing? And if so, any recommendations? I was thinking about snagging a Roland Blues Cube Stage when it comes out in January. I'm not too happy its price but it's manageable. I also really don't want to deal with tubes...

Thanks

mkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Also, I primarily use clean tones, but occasionally need an overdriven sound
mkoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Basically... run.

paid
If you're happy with solid state stuff and amp simulations, Fender Mustangs are reasonably affordable and have XLR outs.

You could also stick with your current amp and get an FX unit (Zoom, Line6 POD, Fender Mustang floor, etc.)

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to Maestro_dmc Send a message via Skype™ to Maestro_dmc
Doesn't seem like you're too picky about tone. If so, pedalboard out to direct box (DI) should be fine. You could use a cabinet simulator to make sure the signal still sounds like an electric guitar, and not all fizzy which is most likely.

If you want to use your existing amp, the DI option could work by simply plugging your pedals into the DI, then out of the DI into the amp. There should be a loop through on the DI. If your tone comes from the amp (built in overdrive and effects) then you could do the same with a headphone out or other live level output.

Personally, having done this for a few years, I always prefer a mic'ed amplifier over any DI option.
Maestro_dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

If you wanna do a direct out, the option that will give you the best sound is usually a Line6 POD or something similar, and then use your amp just for stage volume. In particular, the Line 6 POD stuff has good amp modeling, you can get a pretty direct sound.

Acoustic:
Guitars: Carvin C750TS, Alvarez RD8C
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude
If you wanna do a direct out, the option that will give you the best sound is usually a Line6 POD or something similar, and then use your amp just for stage volume. In particular, the Line 6 POD stuff has good amp modeling, you can get a pretty direct sound.
The Tech21 character series comes to mind.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Your Ad Here

Or create a line out on your existing amp with 2 resistors and a jack socket. It's all some amp-makers do.