Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Uses for instrumental (no vocals) music in church?

How/when can/should instrumental music (no vocals) be used in church?

DavidDeLoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDeLoach
How/when can/should instrumental music (no vocals) be used in church?
We use it a lot during worship when something deep is happening and Holy Spirit is ministering to people. We don't typically plan it out, though, ahead of time.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #3

I've noticed instrumental music being played during our weekly prayer meetings and during offering. But, it was not live music... just over the speakers.
jeffleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
\_(ツ)_/

Yeah, I remember we used it everytime people were being prayed for in the front (mostly because the singers where praying for people). That was many years ago though...
Unread 11-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleet View Post
I've noticed instrumental music being played during our weekly prayer meetings and during offering. But, it was not live music... just over the speakers.
Yeah we do live music during our prayer sessions. Sometimes we sing what they pray. Thats extremely powerful at times.
Unread 11-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

We have instrumental music (usually just piano) while the communion elements are passed around.

We have two complimentary services on a normal Sunday separated by a tea/coffee break. The first service, which is a time of “open worship” leading into communion, is a bit more contemplative. Some people like to sit quietly to reflect/pray/prepare themselves for a few minutes before it begins.The pianist will normally also play something during this time as people arrive.

The second service usually involves a full band and sermon. We’ll often play through the first song (or part of it at least) instrumentally while those who have grabbed a cuppa and those just arriving for this service are making their way in towards their seats as a signal that we’re going to get started again shortly.

We’ll also usually play through some of the last song again instrumentally after the service is closed in prayer as a sort of coda while people start getting up and talking to eachother at the end.
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

I've experimented with light finger picking through an entire sermon by the pastor. It was received with mixed reviews. Some said it helped add emotion and brought on the Spirit in a more surreal way while others (older congregates) said it distracted them from the sermon.
Unread 12-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

If it's during prayer or preaching, I find it distracting, although I know some people find it helpful.
If it's bridging sections of the service--no problem--or interludes between songs, or as a prelude/postlude--those work for me.
Unread 09-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

I, as a solo guitar, play soft finger-style melodies of favorite gospel songs while people arrive. During the offering I will instrumentally softly play the song to follow in the service, stopping while prayer is said in thanks for those who have given to the work of God, then resuming instrumentally and then increasing dynamics and volume with vocals. During the alter call, I will very softly begin to play something like Amazing Grace, or How Great Thou Art and increase it as the alter call closes. if the time of alter call and prayer is lengthy I will often alternate between two or three, and when the final prayer begins will cease to play out of reverence for the giver of the gift I have just been allowed to share.

When all is through and the people are chatting, and others beginning to depart, I try to play something to catch their ear, something upbeat, happy, exciting, so as they depart, they may be drawn back because they find the service to have been a blessing and fun!

Since beginning this method I have found that many in the church have commented how much they love the music we provide for them during service. From years of secular playing, I know if you leave the people "hungry" and happy, then they will come back. This is a simple, tho' anointed version of that.

Just my two cents worth, and worth much less, for the Lord must work within each one of us, and bring His will into each service, so play what God says, and all will be blessed.

God Bless, and
Fret Not, says Pastor Willie D

Last edited by FretNotMinistry; 09-14-2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: errors in sp[elling (lust like that one there...lol)
FretNotMinistry is offline   Reply With Quote