Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #16

OK guys - I surrender - you win

I guess I did a poor job in presenting my case. I didn't mean the 1-4-5-6m should be banned (BTW, I just used the key of G as an example - of course playing 1-4-5-6m in any key or with a capo nets the same results).

I guess the point I'd really like to make is I don't see an opportunity for a skilled musician to use his gift in typical church music.

But 1-4-5-6m seems to be working for everyone, so play on!

DavidDeLoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDeLoach View Post
I guess the point I'd really like to make is I don't see an opportunity for a skilled musician to use his gift in typical church music.!
I guess my problem is that I feel like churches DO want skilled musicians. That just might not mean playing obscure chords in strange keys. That might mean being able to play a great lead line which fills in the gaps. That might mean playing something subtle which fills out the sound.

Skill and creativity mean many different things at different times.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I guess my problem is that I feel like churches DO want skilled musicians. That just might not mean playing obscure chords in strange keys. That might mean being able to play a great lead line which fills in the gaps. That might mean playing something subtle which fills out the sound.

Skill and creativity mean many different things at different times.
The way I see it, you are efftivley "hired" to provide a service. Now by "hired", I don't neccessarily mean that you have a paid position and are part of the church staff, but that you are really there to serve the needs/wants of the church whcih may or may not further your own personal musical persuits. As such, they do want skilled (some would even say "anointed") musicians who can provide music that is uplifting to the congregation and fulfills the pastor's vison for worship.

But one of the isses that I feel we as musicians face is that much of the Sunday morning crowd is (I don't mean to be insulting) musically iliterate. They are not music lovers and largely see the art only as a means to worship and as long as you don't mess up, you are doing a great job. In fact, a lot of people are so uninformed about music that some glaring mistakes will go unnoticed. I want to add another point here, but to avoid going off topic, I'll probably start a separte thread about it.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #19

I played on the same worship band for nearly 30 years and the main reason we played most every song in the key of G or D was to accommodate the vocalists and sing in a key that was comfortable for most of the congregation to sing in. Most recorded music is recorded in the key that enhances the abilities to the lead vocalist.
elliotz18 is offline   Reply With Quote