Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Advice on what car to get

Well, my incredibly trusty and reliable '07 Corolla bit the dust the other day due to a head-on collision that just barely has left it totaled . I have to wait to hear from the adjustor for sure, but I think I'll be getting about $4.5k for it, which is, frustratingly, not enough to buy a car of similar value and reliability -- at least, not to my knowledge.

Right now, I'm trying to find a car that would fit my needs (reliable for frequent long trips, handles okay in all weather, stick shift, 4dr), and I feel like my price range will need to be $4.5k-$9k (assuming I can find a place with decent financing). Can you car gurus recommend me some decent models to be on the lookout for? I've seen both an '08 and '09 Jetta that seemed to fit the bill -- good to look at or no?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Deets Go Here

Not a car guru, but how about a Subaru?

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Good news! My insurance company called today and will actually be giving me $7.3k, which widens my possible range up a bit! Now, my price range I'm considering is somewhere up to $10k or so.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
If I can find one, especially with the increased valuation of my car, I'd love one. Any idea if I can find an '08+ for $10k or less?

Unread 11-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Deets Go Here

How about these:

Cars for Sale: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan in ROANOKE, VA 24012: Sedan Details - 382524834 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X in Roanoke, VA 24019: Sport Utility Details - 371927272 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2009 Toyota Corolla LE in Roanoke, VA 24019: Sedan Details - 385448904 - AutoTrader.com

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
The two Corollas look pretty solid. Only problem is that they're both automatic . A manual is pretty much a necessity for me -- I love driving too much to give that up! If I were to get a Subaru, I'd want an Impreza or an Outback. The Forester doesn't really do much for me . I just found a 2009 Impreza on USAA for $9k, which could be just what I'm looking for.

Unread 11-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Not really car savvy either, but I second Subaru. I picked up an '04 Outback as my first car a couple of months ago. Got an incredible deal on mine because the guy priced it to sell.

Car itself though, handles well and good on fuel. I get about 700km of highway and about 550km of urban to a full tank.

Of course I'm in Aus so it could be a completely different story in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
I wouldn't wish CPF on my greatest enemy.
6strings21frets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
The two Corollas look pretty solid. Only problem is that they're both automatic . A manual is pretty much a necessity for me -- I love driving too much to give that up! If I were to get a Subaru, I'd want an Impreza or an Outback. The Forester doesn't really do much for me . I just found a 2009 Impreza on USAA for $9k, which could be just what I'm looking for.
Ah yes. I forgot that about you. I've got to get automatics for the spouse. So, that kind of limits my vehicles.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings21frets
Not really car savvy either, but I second Subaru. I picked up an '04 Outback as my first car a couple of months ago. Got an incredible deal on mine because the guy priced it to sell. Car itself though, handles well and good on fuel. I get about 700km of highway and about 550km of urban to a full tank. Of course I'm in Aus so it could be a completely different story in the US.
Some research is indicating that Subarus are great for performance, but reliability seems to be below average. I've never owned one, so I can't say. Gonna see if I can test-drive one, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007
Ah yes. I forgot that about you. I've got to get automatics for the spouse. So, that kind of limits my vehicles.
My future spouse is just gonna have to deal .

Unread 11-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Super Mom

paid
I liked my Subaru Legacy a lot. I have enjoyed my Camrys and my Civic, too.

I learned to drive in a manual - but never liked it. My dear husband had a Toyota 4-Runner for 20 years that was a manual transmission, and I never drove it, save one trip home when he tore his ACL while rock climbing.
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom
I liked my Subaru Legacy a lot. I have enjoyed my Camrys and my Civic, too. I learned to drive in a manual - but never liked it. My dear husband had a Toyota 4-Runner for 20 years that was a manual transmission, and I never drove it, save one trip home when he tore his ACL while rock climbing.
I've never driven a Camry, but they seem like comfortable, respectable vehicles. More or less a Toyota Accord, as it were. I get joy from driving a manual, and, because I'll be driving an automatic a ton for work, I want to ensure I'll have a release for that .

I'm currently looking at two 2012 Corolla S's. They're stick and have some nifty features, such as heated mirrors and fog lights, which will be extremely useful in the snow here. I'll have to use a loan to make up the difference, unfortunately, but I believe it'll be worth it. This car could last until my future kids!

Unread 11-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Super Mom

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
I've never driven a Camry, but they seem like comfortable, respectable vehicles. More or less a Toyota Accord, as it were. I get joy from driving a manual, and, because I'll be driving an automatic a ton for work, I want to ensure I'll have a release for that .

I'm currently looking at two 2012 Corolla S's. They're stick and have some nifty features, such as heated mirrors and fog lights, which will be extremely useful in the snow here. I'll have to use a loan to make up the difference, unfortunately, but I believe it'll be worth it. This car could last until my future kids!
I've owned two Camrys. Leighanna still drives the one I had before I bought my Civic hybrid. A Corolla would be a great choice for you.
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

I'm all about my Japanese cars. We have a Toyota Sienna with almost 200k miles, and a Mitsubishi Galant with 220k. They both run amazing. You will obviously be getting a much nicer car than either of mine (approximately 10 times nicer, heh) so I'd be pretty confident that a Toyota would be a great car for many years. That's probably what I'll go for when we can get a nicer car.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
ITALICS
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlMom
I've owned two Camrys. Leighanna still drives the one I had before I bought my Civic hybrid. A Corolla would be a great choice for you.
Can confirm. 2004 Camry, 130,000ish miles, still great. Plus, I'm pretty sure I could fit a grand piano in the trunk if I needed to.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
Basically... run.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
Can confirm. 2004 Camry, 130,000ish miles, still great. Plus, I'm pretty sure I could fit a grand piano in the trunk if I needed to.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote