Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Republicans Take the Senate

Well, I am rather disconnected from all of this, but from what I gather the Republicans did pretty well for themselves this election cycle. Tough road ahead for Obama after Republicans seize Senate | Reuters

I t is all actually pretty surprising to me. Democrats always seem to have the upper hand, probably because of the push of entertainment media and the general liberalization that seems pretty widespread on social media.

I don't really know how I feel about this. I am always conflicted regarding these things because I am in a strange middle ground. I detest the cult of death surrounding the abortion issue, while at the same time recognizing the contingencies of life. Those contingencies are overwhelmingly due to economic situations, and I am opposed to the attitudes of most Republicans in regards to economics. But, for the most part, Republicans try to represent (or at least do a great job luring the moral majority) a more traditional moral view than some of what I find utterly ridiculous and contradictory on the left (such as the issues going on with intersex bathrooms, deregulation of abortions, and the general negativity directed toward men through the guise of feminism).

I hope things go well, though. I mean, if so that would be great. It would be nice for the economy to continue to strengthen so the dollar is worth more and I don't go broke over here...

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I think I'm completely the opposite of you. I'm a libertarian so I'm about deregulation of the market and the social sector. Republicans have a much better handle on the economy than the Democrats do and that's why when my only choice is between the two I vote Republican. I don't want anybody legislating social morality. The government shouldn't be in our bedrooms, our homes, our private lives. When it legislates on these issues, we lose personal liberties.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I t is all actually pretty surprising to me. Democrats always seem to have the upper hand, probably because of the push of entertainment media and the general liberalization that seems pretty widespread on social media.
That's the joke that is news media. It's total non-sense. They sell narrative that all Republican voters are old white men, and it's ridiculous. Back in early 2013 there was all kinds of talk about the end of the Republican party.

This back and fourth between the parties happens all the time, and it's weird that the people with a national microphone don't get that. Or that people listen to people that pretend like that isn't real.

80's - Republicans
90's - Democrats
00's - Republicans
Now - Democrats...shifting back to Republicans

It all just shows how completely out of touch the news media actually is. Whether MSNBC or Fox News, either one is filled with rich people in New York City making claims about what people in normal US cities are thinking and experiencing. It's bizarre.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

FWIW, the 90s had a Republican senate for much of it. And that's when our economy was strongest, under that senate and that president.

Also the 00s had a Democratic senate

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 11-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
I think I'm completely the opposite of you. I'm a libertarian so I'm about deregulation of the market and the social sector. Republicans have a much better handle on the economy than the Democrats do and that's why when my only choice is between the two I vote Republican. I don't want anybody legislating social morality. The government shouldn't be in our bedrooms, our homes, our private lives. When it legislates on these issues, we lose personal liberties.
I went in and started with straight ticket Libertarian and then I switched a few to Republican. This is actually the most Republican I've voted since 2000. I rarely vote for Republicans for national office. The local Republican Congressman is a good man I have connections to so I voted for him, and I really didn't want Wendy Davis to come anywhere close to the Texas Governors office.

Unread 11-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Lieutenant Commander

I voted for Alison Grimes (rather, I voted against Mitch McConnell). But he crushed her, lol. Her campaign was not super great though. She wouldn't even say she voted for Obama. Dumb. Dumb.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
FWIW, the 90s had a Republican senate for much of it. And that's when our economy was strongest, under that senate and that president.

Also the 00s had a Democratic senate
I was speaking generally about who was in the White House, but what you're saying amplifies what I'm saying. Control continually goes back and fourth. All the doomsday predictions people make are just nutty.

Neither party is going anywhere anytime soon, and either party gaining anything doesn't mean the end of society as we know it.

Unread 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I went in and started with straight ticket Libertarian and then I switched a few to Republican. This is actually the most Republican I've voted since 2000. I rarely vote for Republicans for national office. The local Republican Congressman is a good man I have connections to so I voted for him, and I really didn't want Wendy Davis to come anywhere close to the Texas Governors office.
Yeah, there weren't a lot of Libertarians on our ballot, I voted for 3 of them. I had a similar vote against a candidate, in that I voted against Michele Nunn by voting for David Perdue. I wanted to vote Swafford but she had no chance at all and the race here was very close and there were talks that there might have been a runoff. So I chose to vote on practicality instead of on principal.

My district's house seat was up for re-election and was running unopposed so I wrote in a name because I hate the guy who ran.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
dept. of redundancy dept.

I'm not at all surprised that Republicans swept last night. The President's party is always at a disadvantage in midterm years, and Republicans are apparently more likely to vote in midterm elections than Democrats. There's also the fact that all of the Democratic senators who were defending seats this year were last elected in 2008, when Obama was enormously popular and other Democrats on the ballot benefited from that. Those Senators now had to defend their seats in a year when Obama is enormously unpopular, so it's no surprise that so many of them lost.
rock_show_host is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap_j View Post
I voted for Alison Grimes (rather, I voted against Mitch McConnell). But he crushed her, lol. Her campaign was not super great though. She wouldn't even say she voted for Obama. Dumb. Dumb.
I'm not sure I could ever vote for Grimes. Ridiculous.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
The Kentuckian, not the Canadian.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
My ballot did not have a single third party candidate on it. It sucked.
Unread 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Grimes always keeps his promises. Right J?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
is still learning...

I know it's not of interest nationally, but Kansas is just a mess. Brownback was re-elected Govenor, despite literally hundreds of Republican leaders endorsed, and actively campaigned for the Democrat Davis.?! His budgetary plans call for ending state income taxes (starting with the most wealthy). Last year over 190,000 individual business owners quit paying state income taxes. In the first 3 months of the fiscal year, Kansas is nearly 60 million short of expectations, and the future looks like a bankrupt state before the next 4 years are up.

When 90% of incumbents keep getting re-elected, yet approval ratings for those same incumbents are at historic lows...I just don't understand.
TunerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
My ballot did not have a single third party candidate on it. It sucked.
Yeah. It's our whole run-off election style. All of the third party guys were eliminated in June.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote