Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Let go

So my band and I have been leading worship for a recovery group every week for at least the past 7 months (non paid, not that that's what we're after). The pastor of the host church never once met with us. Nor did the worship pastor.

Now, we did not attend that church; we are a traveling ministry that had played there as a regular gig.

Anyway the worship pastor sent a message on Facebook to the band's page saying that from now on his worship team will be handling all music at all events at the church. No "thanks for your service." No, "this will start in a few weeks." Totally blind sided me although I did suspect something like this would eventually happen.

I know when God closes one door He opens another but either way I feel it was pretty low class the way it was handled.

Thoughts?

Unread 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
That's weird all the way around. If he never met with you (but then again, you never met with him?), then something was off from the get go. But for him to cut it off like that does seem a little odd.

The whole thing seems a little odd to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
It's very sad when people in leadership forget that the other people serving in ministry are actually...you know...people.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
It's very sad when people in leadership forget that the other people serving in ministry are actually...you know...people.
Ain't that the truth?

It's not going to make a difference, but I would rather assume that they were just thoughtless instead of malevolent.

God's best to you in your next ministry opportunity.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
\_(ツ)_/

Man, that really sucks. Church leadership are very ungrateful sometimes. That is for example the reason I quit working as a sound technician. In secular events I always got a thank you and paid a small fee (last one not important to me), and christian (church) events people just approached me to complain.

Stay positive and remember that even though the leadership might have handled this the wrong way, the time you have invested in this has most likely blessed the church and God sees that. You will receive your reward in heaven. God never forgets!

Just out of curiosity... how did you get that gig? Do churches over there usually use bands that are not from the church? Because here you usually get an audition with the worship leader and a talk with the pastor.
Unread 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

So the founder of this group had heard me lead worship elsewhere and asked me to play once a month. Then the church's people kind of got out of playing (at this group for whatever reason) and so my band was now playing there and was asked to play more regularly. Then the founder and the church's head pastor had a falling out and there was a leader for 3 weeks who left the church and now more recently the current leaders of the group who if they knew of the church's intent to get rid of my band never communicated that to me or the band.
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

This is part of the "falling away" that Jesus spoke of. Professional Church people who are miminal Christians or not Christians at all. Real believers are leaving the church behind and returning to Jesus Christ.
john033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john033
Real believers are leaving the church behind and returning to Jesus Christ.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but, considering Jesus calls the Church His bride, and the Bible commands us not to forsake gathering together, I would ask you to qualify that statement.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

Update: since we (the worship band) left this church and its (that church's) recovery group was banished, the host church that had 3 weekend worship experiences, hosting 300-500 members per experience, has seen an Exodus of many members. They now just have one weekend experience per weekend with around 300 members.

Though I am not happy this happened, nor do I feel responsible, I feel it's God's way of telling me it was time to go.

My worship band now acquires opportunities to play at random, God willed times, but with a humble attitude toward the service of the Lord.