Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

Why have flashing lights or colord light is worship

I wonder why do churches have flashing lights or colored light at church I have Epilepsy and soon it wont be safe for me to go to churches.

jesslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Basically... run.

paid
There are plenty of Churches who don't do it. Mine doesn't. A lot of them do it just to be showy.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Old School
Administrator

1. Welcome to CGR. We're glad you're here.

2. This topic has come up recently among some of us. If you don't mind...I'm going to move this thread to another section where it may get a better response.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Deets Go Here

It's all in the mission of the church. Find the church that you like and are able to attend. The flashing and everything is probably on its way out, in my opinion.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Welcome to CGR!

And everyone knows we have lights and flashing because we are rock stars on the stage, or, at least, it is the closest many of us will get.

It is especially appealing, since it means we don't have to have all that finding venue stuff, or traveling stuff, or booking, or merch.

Well, maybe we can do merch. Because everyone loves my worship songs I write, and I want them to listen to it outside of sunday so it sounds better. I hate it when people can't remember my songs. Just make sure the table is in the foyer, not the sanctuary, so people don't accuse us of making the house of prayer a den of robbers.

They want to stop the ones who want
Prosthetic foreheads on their heads
But everybody wants prosthetic
Foreheads on their real heads

We Want a Rock, They Might Be Giants

Hidden?
athanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
It can be a gimmick and it can be a form of visual worship. I've been to a worship event with some of the most elaborate lighting effects I've ever seen and it was an incredible night. I've been to other events (some I"ve thrown) where it was just to do it.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
dept. of redundancy dept.

It depends on the church and is definitely not universal. My church doesn't do light shows because a) our worship leaders would find them distracting and too show-y, and b) we couldn't afford them even if we wanted to.
rock_show_host is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #8

So I'm not a fan of flashing and very dynamic lighting, but I find it distracting when there's none at all. I like some basic colored lighting that sets the mood and takes attention away from the the myriad of people who are next to me.

Acoustic:
Guitars: Carvin C750TS, Alvarez RD8C
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack, MXR 10-Band EQ, BarberTone Compressor, Visual Sound GarageTone Tremolo, Nova Delay, Radial Jensen DI

Quality transactions with: Gaetano Paul, Chocolate Bear, S.B. Nichols, Almost Enough, relient nelson, snizzle
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It can be a gimmick and it can be a form of visual worship. I've been to a worship event with some of the most elaborate lighting effects I've ever seen and it was an incredible night. I've been to other events (some I"ve thrown) where it was just to do it.
This.

I once went to a Christian conference at which they were using some fog machines (gasp!) and flashing/rotating lights (double gasp!!), and, having never experienced that in worship before, my first response to it was to reject it outright and get offended by it. However, it wasn't long before I realized that the way they were doing it was a beautiful form of visual worship. Worship isn't just audio, and, as I opened myself up to that, it really helped me to worship. Yeah, it can be flashy and "rock star"ish just to do it... But my experience says that one shouldn't just assume that automatically.

That said, OP, I'm sorry you've had problems in churches like that due to your epilepsy . Thankfully, there are many great churches that are epilepsy-friendly! Churches with flashy lights seem to be the minority.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude View Post
So I'm not a fan of flashing and very dynamic lighting, but I find it distracting when there's none at all. I like some basic colored lighting that sets the mood and takes attention away from the the myriad of people who are next to me.
Let me reword what I originally wrote.

This defeats worship. You are in a worship service to worship with other Christians. To deemphasize their presence is to make the service not significantly different from listening to a live worship album in your bedroom. Your attention should be on the reality of worshiping, side by side, the same God who saved you both on account of which you gathered to sing his praises. I do not see why someone would want to lose focus of that fact during the very songs you are singing.

Hidden?

Last edited by athanatos; 09-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
This.

I once went to a Christian conference at which they were using some fog machines (gasp!) and flashing/rotating lights (double gasp!!), and, having never experienced that in worship before, my first response to it was to reject it outright and get offended by it. However, it wasn't long before I realized that the way they were doing it was a beautiful form of visual worship. Worship isn't just audio, and, as I opened myself up to that, it really helped me to worship. Yeah, it can be flashy and "rock star"ish just to do it... But my experience says that one shouldn't just assume that automatically.

That said, OP, I'm sorry you've had problems in churches like that due to your epilepsy . Thankfully, there are many great churches that are epilepsy-friendly! Churches with flashy lights seem to be the minority.
I'm sorry, but what is "visual worship"? I'm being serious. The only (stretch) I can think of is that it is art or presentation, done excellently. The equivalent would be playing guitar well, or doing PowerPoint excellently. ... it is no more worship, than a Christian making coffee or taking out the trash to the glory of God. (which is still worship, but I wouldn't have a category for it, let alone in the context of a worship service)

Could you enlighten me? (no pun intended)

Hidden?
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos View Post
Isn't this deeply problematic? Why do you value this?
After multiple generations have been told to leave the singing to the professionals, we've grown to be ashamed of our voices in the secular realm and that has crossed over into the Christian realm. If I can hear someone else singing, then...OH NOES...they can hear me too...

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
While I'm not a fan of the practice (I don't like all the movement and flashing), I compare the use of lighting effects to stained glass windows in church buildings. There is great beauty in cathedrals, and modern worship sites use electronic means to create a similar aesthetic.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanatos
I'm sorry, but what is "visual worship"? I'm being serious. The only (stretch) I can think of is that it is art or presentation, done excellently. The equivalent would be playing guitar well, or doing PowerPoint excellently. ... it is no more worship, than a Christian making coffee or taking out the trash to the glory of God. (which is still worship, but I wouldn't have a category for it, let alone in the context of a worship service) Could you enlighten me? (no pun intended)
I think Tony brings up a good comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
While I'm not a fan of the practice (I don't like all the movement and flashing), I compare the use of lighting effects to stained glass windows in church buildings. There is great beauty in cathedrals, and modern worship sites use electronic means to create a similar aesthetic.

To me and my understanding of Scripture, worship isn't just audio. Maybe an extreme example would be that of a deaf person -- how would he/she worship? I think that doing things beautifully and well can be used in worship, given the proper context. You mention art/presentation -- I see lighting as a form of presentation that can be very artistic. Music gets most of the limelight, but I see visual arts as fitting into worship and giving glory to God (I also believe painting can be a valid form of worship, even in a corporate context, for example). It is situationally dependent, of course, to determine if it's a distraction or hindrance to worship, but, to me, that goes for anything, to include musical worship, particularly the different possible forms of instrumentation. Does that help you to see from where my viewpoint is coming?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Psychic theo-philosopher

paid
Well, music gets the limelight because Scripture explicitly and repeatedly tells us to do so. And this done in a corporate manner: together.

Are we given any similar command in the Scriptures with respect to painting, or buildings?

My hunch is that it is just the traditions of man (updated) adding to the church. Creating unnecessary baggage.

Hidden?