Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Worship Team video monitors

Our Church is considering a system where each member of the praise team would have a tablet that has an app that will display songs and text for the service in real-time. This system allows for wireless feed back to the sound booth where they can alter order of worship based on the leaders up front.

In theory this sounds really good, but I"m thinking that it is likely a lot more expensive than that benefits that come from such a solution and also would be fraught with technical issues from the numerous wifeless tablets floating around the stage and needing to be maintained all the time.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has used a similar system and just what the results were?

I have been considering talking to our tech team leader that handles the sound and video to see if they would consider alternatives before spending the money for such a configuration.

In particular, I was thinking that a couple of hard wired large screen (not huge say 40" diag) on either side of the stage tied into the worship video system would provide the similar real time ability to change the order of worship on the fly, be cheaper, and more reliable. For the communications from the worship leader at the front to the sound booth a simple tablet app with instant messaging could be very effective in providing the direction from the stage as the tablet solution would.

Any thoughts on this, alternatives, suggestions?

Blessings,
Kip...

Kip Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
We just have a projector which puts the words on the back wall.
Unread 07-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Okagesama de genki desu

Seems like a lot of money, a lot of equipment, and a lot of potential tech headaches for something that really shouldn't be necessary... Why can't they just memorize the songs?

For communication between the worship leader and FOH, ProCo makes a footswitch that sends the mike signal to the booth for quick communication needs. I've always just seen things like this, and the FOH guys having headsets to communicate through the IEM's when necessary.
Unread 07-26-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
Your Ad Here

We've got a basic but useful system .... the projection computer's output is sent to a splitter, there's a long vga cable to front of house where it's split again. That drives 2 cheap PC flat monitors - one for the preacher so he can advance his/her visuals on a remote without looking over his/her shoulder every time. The other one goes to the person leading the singing so (again without turning around) he/she can see what words the congregation are being fed. Then he/she can call out repeats, corrections (nicely), vamp-till-ready-cos-the-computer-operator-needs-to-wake-up (etc etc).

Anyone else singing is standing at 90 degrees to the screen (the band's offset to one side) so they can follow the main screen if they want.

The long VGA cable could be replaced by cat5 networking cable with a converter at each end but it was laid in some years ago so we still use it.
Unread 07-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to Maestro_dmc Send a message via Skype™ to Maestro_dmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Our Church is considering a system where each member of the praise team would have a tablet that has an app that will display songs and text for the service in real-time. This system allows for wireless feed back to the sound booth where they can alter order of worship based on the leaders up front.

In theory this sounds really good, but I"m thinking that it is likely a lot more expensive than that benefits that come from such a solution and also would be fraught with technical issues from the numerous wifeless tablets floating around the stage and needing to be maintained all the time.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has used a similar system and just what the results were?

I have been considering talking to our tech team leader that handles the sound and video to see if they would consider alternatives before spending the money for such a configuration.

In particular, I was thinking that a couple of hard wired large screen (not huge say 40" diag) on either side of the stage tied into the worship video system would provide the similar real time ability to change the order of worship on the fly, be cheaper, and more reliable. For the communications from the worship leader at the front to the sound booth a simple tablet app with instant messaging could be very effective in providing the direction from the stage as the tablet solution would.

Any thoughts on this, alternatives, suggestions?

Blessings,
Kip...
Such a configuration is ideal for a very particular (and uncommon) style of worship leading where the leader and the band have no idea where the spirit is going to lead and have not necessarily practiced a "worship set", but they have hundreds of songs at their fingertips and can scroll around until they find what they want to play next.

I've been a part of a band like this for a time, and it worked most of the time. It does require technical savvy to get it going and keep it working.

One thing that could make such a setup totally worthwhile would be if the tablets were all ipads, and your church had one of the numerous mixing consoles with ipad control available. At that point, the ipad could do double duty as both a lyric pad, and individual monitor mix controllers.
Maestro_dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #6

We do change up the service frequently. Our run through prior to service is only about a half an hour. When I first joined the church this approach seemed very shotgun but works for us... the biggest issue is management of the music sheets so that is where we are considering the tablets or dual monitors for left and right of stage.

The pastors don't use any of this and all slide advancing is done from the sound booth.

What software are y'all using for slide progression and management?
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:13 (KJV)
Kip Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Heck we are there an hour and half before church starts.