Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Life Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Taking a parents keys away?

Has anyone had to do this, and how did you approach the situation?

Its getting pretty close to the point that my family is probably going to have to do this with my dad and I have absolutely no idea how to handle this situation. I've talked to my mom about it and she agreed that its getting untenable to let him continue to drive considering the dangerous situations he puts himself and others in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
I don't have experience with this in my family yet, but what I can tell you is that in many states, many health professionals can be mandatory reporters for dangerous drivers. I'd think it would be better for you to take his keys way than having the state do it.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
I don't have experience with this in my family yet, but what I can tell you is that in many states, many health professionals can be mandatory reporters for dangerous drivers. I'd think it would be better for you to take his keys way than having the state do it.

From talking to my mom she seems to be inclined to agree that its going to be for the best to handle this situation pretty soon. I can tell talking about it really bothers her though, and that's understandable. But, looking at his driving record for the last four years, the frequency and severity of incidents he's been involved in has been on the rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Super Mom

paid
Oh my goodness - you are too young to have to deal with this. People associate the ability to drive with independence. Even if they have no plans to go anywhere, adults need to know that they can if they want to. So, as you have the conversation with him, keep in mind that you aren't just taking his keys - he will see this as losing his independence.

Start with "why". State the facts and ask him what he would suggest if someone else was in this situation. Try to help him come to the conclusion on his own - it is much more dignified than having someone else "take away the keys".

I'm praying for him, for you, and for your mother.