Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > CGR Members' Art, Music & Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Old School
Administrator

Another Snippet

Don't be mad...this is NOT part of the other one I posted...I'm still working on it though.

I found this buried on my external HD. I don't know when I started it or why I stopped working on it...but...I really like it and I think I want to continue it. It's at least a year old but it sounds a LOT like the shoe Resurrection that is currently on TV. This was first though.

I was sixteen years old when I vanished. Some people think that I ran away and others are convinced that I was kidnapped but the truth is…I vanished. I disappeared off the face of the earth. To those who remained it was if I ceased to exist and I guess that is probably the best explanation for what happened to me. One minute I was there at the arcade, pumping quarters into the Galaga machine and then…poof…just like that, I was gone. I can only imagine what my family and friends felt. The pain and confusion must have been horrible.

Since returning I have had the opportunity to read some of the things people said after I left. Most of them are incredibly touching; I was actually brought to tears by the letter my mother wrote to the person who had taken me. There is actual footage of her reading it on the news two days after I vanished. Her grief is genuine and her pleas are authentic. I never thought about it much before but it is obvious that she loves me very much. At the time I was a typical teenager. I thought my folks were a drag and didn’t want to spend too much time around them. Now, when I see that footage, I want to reach through the screen, across the years, and hug her. I want her to know that in spite of the way I acted, I did love her.

It is weird sitting down and putting all this to paper…but…it is something I feel like I need to do. There are so many people asking questions. That is only natural considering the situation. I walked out the door of my parents’ house on a cool October morning in 1986 and was not seen again until October 22, 2012…exactly twenty-six years later. That in itself is strange enough. Most kids who disappear are never seen again. The odds that one would show up that many years later are astronomical. I defy those odds. However…that is not the strange part.

First of all…I have absolutely no recollection of the past twenty-six years. There aren’t any disjointed images or cloudy memories for me to sort through. There is nothing. My last conscious memory from 1986 is of playing video games at Starverse Arcade over on Benvenue Road. I was having a relatively good day on Galaga…nothing record-breaking or anything like that…but a respectable showing.

I was supposed to meet Julie there. She was my girlfriend at the time and we had been going steady for about a year. We were planning to meet up at the arcade, walk down to Mario’s for pizza, and then hook up with Tony and Kristie later that evening for a movie. I never made it.

I had just finished one of the bonus levels and still had two lives left when it happened. The thing is…I don’t know what it is. One second I am standing there furiously mashing buttons on the console and watching the flashing lights on the screen. The next…I am standing in front of a mirror in the bathroom of a McDonalds that I have never seen. It took several minutes for me to register where I was and once I did…it only confused me. I turned on the sink and splashed water on my face. I honestly thought that I was dreaming and that at any minute I would wake up in my bed. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I was awake and not in the place I thought I was. I exited the bathroom and sat down at one of the tables.

I looked around and began to notice things that did not quite register. There were people in the lobby but they were wearing strange clothes. Some of them had really odd hairstyles. One guy was wearing what appeared to be a football jersey but it had a team name that I didn’t recognize. His head was shaved completely bald and he had a patch of hair growing just under his bottom lip. He had huge holes in both of his ears that appeared to have colored rings inserted in them. There were jagged black figures tattooed up and down both of his arms. He was holding the hand of a little girl who looked to be about three or four years old. She was wearing gray sweatpants and had a colorful t-shirt on. There was a cartoon figure on the front of her shirt with the name Dora emblazoned underneath. Her blond hair was pulled into matching ponytails on both sides.

There was a young black man in line behind them. He was wearing a white, sleeveless undershirt and a pair of jeans with colorful embroidery on the back pockets. The jeans were way too big for him and hung down well past his waist. A black leather belt kept them from falling off and his plaid boxers were at least three inches above the belt. He was wearing a pair of bright red tennis shoes. I at least recognized the Nike swoosh on the side of the shoes. He was holding something small up to his ear and talking loudly. He glanced over and saw me staring at him.

“Wassup? You got a problem?”

I shook my head and looked back towards the restroom. The guy continued to talk out loud…to no one in particular. I considered getting up and leaving but I still wasn’t quite sure where I was and what was happening to me. I looked out the window and saw cars entering and exiting the parking lot. Occasionally I would see one that I recognized but most of them were models that I had never seen before. I knew the manufacturer names…but that was about it. I felt light headed so I put my hands on my head and just sat there…for what felt like an eternity.

Now…as strange as all that sounds…I haven’t mentioned the strangest part. Although I was born in 1970 and it is now 2012…I haven’t aged a day since 1986. Technically…I am 42…but I am still physically 16. I am wearing the same clothes that I was wearing the day I vanished. My hair is still cut the same way. I still have the Band Aid bandage on my left pinky finger from when I cut it the day before I disappeared. I have the same wallet and the same money in my pocket. I didn’t just vanish for twenty-six years…I skipped them entirely. Life continued without me.

It has been five days since I returned…for lack of a better word. I spent most of the first day trying to figure out where I was. It turns out that I was still in the same town. In fact…apparently the McDonalds I was in had been built on the exact spot that Starverse used to stand. Apparently…the restroom was at the exact spot I had been standing in 1986.

When I finally got the nerve to get up and go outside I discovered that I was still on Benvenue Road. It wasn’t the road I remembered…but it was the same road. Mario’s Pizza used to be one block from the arcade. Not only was it gone…the entire group of buildings that surrounded it were gone as well. A three story building housing a PNC Bank stood in its place. I don’t know what a PNC Bank is but I know it looks odd sitting in the spot where my friends and I used to hang out.

My first instinct was to go to my car and drive home. It only took a second or two for me realize that was out of the question. My next thought was to go to a phone booth and call my mother but as I walked down the sidewalk I realized that there wasn’t a pay phone to be found. There were two new convenience stores down near the Pizza Hut and Roses. I could not believe that neither had a phone.

My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-31-2014, 01:07 AM   #2

this is very good post
karachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
This is intriguing. Write more on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...