Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

DR Neon

So I wanted to try some DR Neon hi Def orange strings on my Ibanez Ergodyne five string bass. They look awesome. However, after two gigs I noticed the tone from the A string was weak. I adjusted the pickups, the string height, the truss rod, the other 4 strings' height and could not get any kind of volume at all out of that string ( relative to the others). Presuming the string was dead I bought a set of Ernie Ball regular slinky green pack and replaced the A string only. That solved the problem and the A string was WAY louder than the others. So I replaced all strings with the Ernie Balls and redid the setup. Good to go now.

Point: don't buy strings 'cause they look cool.

Unread 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Interesting. I've used Hi-Beams before but never tried the neon stuff.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
So I wanted to try some DR Neon hi Def orange strings on my Ibanez Ergodyne five string bass. They look awesome. However, after two gigs I noticed the tone from the A string was weak. I adjusted the pickups, the string height, the truss rod, the other 4 strings' height and could not get any kind of volume at all out of that string ( relative to the others). Presuming the string was dead I bought a set of Ernie Ball regular slinky green pack and replaced the A string only. That solved the problem and the A string was WAY louder than the others. So I replaced all strings with the Ernie Balls and redid the setup. Good to go now.

Point: don't buy strings 'cause they look cool.
Did you contact DR about the dead string? They most likely would have replaced the whole set of strings for you.

I have not tried the coated strings, but I do use Sunbeams on my Fender Jazz 4 fretless. I'm about to try the Fatbeams and the Lo-riders ( SS ) to see which I like better. I like the sound of nickel strings, but do not like changing strings every three weeks. D'Addario XL's just aren't lasting long enough for me. I've been playing on a set of Sunbeams for about a month now and they're still good. But I think I want to find a SS string that isn't too bright, hence the Fatbeams and Lo-riders.